Previous topic - Next topic

Maximum Bob

Books? yo I's read a couple.

BigDave

book's i'm reading for my course at uni at the moment are

the structure of scientific revolutions by thomas kuhn
utilitarianism by mill
leviathan by hobbes

i haven't had the chance to read for pleasure yet, it's quite annoying.

tarkil

Robin Hobb - The Farseer Trilogy : Assassin's Apprentice

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

hellview

everyone go read Lust For Life.

your eyes gut me like the sharpest of knives.

Jerry_Curls

Halfway through Women by Charles Bukowski. Next is In The Miso Soup by Ryu Murakami.

Just came back from buying Survivor by Chuck Palahnuik and The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami.
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

jbmp1390

I'm about halfway through Interview With The Vampire. I highly recommend it to everyone.

Can I use this chair? Seriously can I use it?

BigDave

Quote from: Jerry_Curls on Oct 16, 2006, 06:17 AM
Halfway through Women by Charles Bukowski. Next is In The Miso Soup by Ryu Murakami.

Just came back from buying Survivor by Chuck Palahnuik and The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami.

all amazing books.  the wind-up bird chronicle is beyond words.

neurotic

Quote from: jbmp1390 on Oct 16, 2006, 06:41 AM
I'm about halfway through Interview With The Vampire. I highly recommend it to everyone.

agreed.
I'm reading The Vampire Armand by Anne Rice.. only couple of more pages left..
...never trust the obvious...

oldgentlovecraft

I always have time for Lovecraft or Richard Laymon.  I'm reading Lurker in the Lobby: A Guide to the Cinema of H.P. Lovecraft right now and it's pretty good.

Maximum Bob

Mazzy

i am half-way through Murakami's blind willow, sleeping woman.

it's beautiful. birthday girl, man-eating cats and a 'poor aunt' story all stick in my mind right now. if you ever want to be a writer, don't bother hahaha you will never be as good as this. this is how amazing this man is.

tarkil

Seio NAGAO - Yomotsukuni no miko.

a translation could be "the prince of darkness".

Moz La Punk

the Swarm by the German Frank Schatzing is pretty good. Its about a tsunami and more sea-stuff. He puts in a LOT of information but once you get used to that, it makes the story only stronger. Recommended.

Sleep

The Trial by Franz Kafka

tarkil

Babylon Babies by Maurice G. Dantec, a french writer. Just began it this morning, but this author is great, so I have high expectations for this one.

Deft One

Quote from: tarkil on Oct 16, 2006, 02:36 AM

An absolute stuninng series of books you wont regret starting them mate.

I just finished 'The Long Walk' by Stephen King under the Bachman alias it really screwed me up its a vile, horrible, and amazing book. Basically the books changed how I look at walking forever lol

oldgentlovecraft

That's one of King's best stories.  That and The Mist are great.  Anyone read any Richard Laymon?  My second favorite only to Lovecraft.

tarkil

Quote from: Deft One on Nov 03, 2006, 01:05 AM
Quote from: tarkil on Oct 16, 2006, 02:36 AM

I fnished the first one, was pretty good, not revolutionary, but a pretty good reading... I still need to buy the 2 next ones... I'll get them soon... :)

tarkil

Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Nov 03, 2006, 01:07 AMAnyone read any Richard Laymon?  My second favorite only to Lovecraft.

Wow, I love Lovecraft, but I never heard about that Richard Laymon guy... What kind of books does he write ? Similar to Lovecraft ?

oldgentlovecraft

Oh no, not at all.  He writes more about sex and violence than anything, but he makes it fun.  I've read everything Lovecraft that I can find, I think my book count is 42.  My absolute favorite going on ten years now.  If you want more Lovecraft style you're going to be hard pressed to do so, but there are a few who dabble in the Mythos.  Brian Lumley and August Derleth are the two best.  Have you ever read any of the anthologies that contain contemporary authors writing in the Mythos world?