Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The books thread

Started by tarkil, Jan 16, 2006, 02:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldgentlovecraft

I've read where he said that before, and it's a hell of a movie, well both of them are.  It's similar to a zombie film, but you're right that it isn't exactly.  It's almost like Nightmare City, which was similar to a zombie film as well but had mutated, homicidal humans.  And I was always tore between liking the idea of the evolving zombie or thinking it defeated the purpose of having mindless, flesh eaters to begin with.  The whole idea really started in the original Dawn of the Dead when they were in the mall and the zombies were drawn there because they remembered it was part of their life.

devlin

i really don't like the evolving zombie. espescially for romero, its rediculous for them to be fast cause there dead, but too think and remeber and get smarter is ok? i disagree.

and i've never seen that other movie but i love the "28" movies. one thing i really liked about the first one is that they do starve to death. and get weaker. again romero gets all pissy because it wouldn't be realistic for zombies to be fast but ignores other human biology that conflicts his zombies.

and going back to the book i definitly agree with where it said they would get weaker and weaker as they exerted them selves, since there mucles woulnd't be repairing them selves.

one question for you. has it ever been addressed in the movies about what happens to the things they eat? do they shit? or does their stomach expand and eventually burst? their dead and their organs and insides aren't working so i would imagine the latter but don't remember seeing it said in a movie.

oldgentlovecraft

That's a good question.  I think it's been addressed in horror comedies, like when zombies look engorged or belch, I'd have to think of a movie but can't off the top of my head, but can't remember any other film, serious horror film, that has addressed this.  You'd think that the first wave would be fat or have busted stomachs since there would be more food around, eh?  The later ones, when most of the living have been killed or changed, would be thinner naturally since there would be less to eat.  Hmmm, good point.

Muzic Junkie

I'm currently reading Music for chamelons - Truman Capote. Thank god i'm near the end
Because its one of the most boringist books i've ever read

ColeJ.

i'm currently reading crime and punishment by fyodor dostoevsky.

just finished reading the trial by franz kafka.

next on my list is slaughterhouse five by kurt vonnegut.

tarkil

Quote from: ColeJ. on Nov 28, 2008, 10:43 AM
i'm currently reading crime and punishment by fyodor dostoevsky.

That book really is great...  ^5 for you

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

ColeJ.

i'm personally enjoying it more than i expected to.

i always wanted to read it, but never got around to it. then i started with a little bit of intimidation.

turns out it's way easier to relate to and understand than you'd expect a novel written and set in the early 1900s in russia would be for a 24 year old american.

tarkil

Yes I know what you mean...
You can try other books from Dostoievsky , they're all great actually.

You can try Nicolas Gogol as well, pretty good too.

i kill for fun

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. Its a quick, easy read, yet captivating and evokes much perspective of an overly absorbant mind...specifically autism
"playful deception is the lowest form of Tom-foolery"
"i don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die"

ColeJ.

i picked up the brothers karamozov by dostoevsky the same day i got crime and punishment... but i've got so many things i want to read, i've got too many on the backburner.

goldpony

Quote from: ColeJ. on Nov 28, 2008, 12:46 PM
i picked up the brothers karamozov by dostoevsky the same day i got crime and punishment... but i've got so many things i want to read, i've got too many on the backburner.

this book rocks, i highly reccommend
"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on Jun 01, 2008, 12:58 AM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: goldpony on Nov 28, 2008, 06:40 PM
Quote from: ColeJ. on Nov 28, 2008, 12:46 PM

this book rocks, i highly reccommend

Yeah, excellent book.

tarkil

dostoievsky kicks ass, yes yes...   :)

whodunit?

reading a book about African art

deafnotes

fairy tale books sucks

bebo

to go with the zombie discussion,

the walking dead anyone? good stuff.

goldpony

finished Duma Key by Stephen King last night...the man has not lost his touch, excellent book
"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on Jun 01, 2008, 12:58 AM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

devlin

Quote from: goldpony on Dec 03, 2008, 06:44 PM
finished Duma Key by Stephen King last night...the man has not lost his touch, excellent book

really? i haven't picked this one up yet. it didn't look all that great.

Shaye

I'm reading "Invisible Monsters" by Chuck Palahniuk

and

"How to Lose Friends ad Alienate People" by Toby Young

devlin

Quote from: Shaye on Dec 04, 2008, 07:53 PM
I'm reading "Invisible Monsters" by Chuck Palahniuk

and

"How to Lose Friends ad Alienate People" by Toby Young

invisible monsters is really good. kinda predictable but still really good twist at the end.