Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The books thread

Started by tarkil, Jan 16, 2006, 02:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tarkil

Just finished "The Black Swan" from Nicholas Nassim Taleb (good book, makes you think...).

Starting Ilium, by Dan Simmons

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

blixa

i just finished 'the book thief' by markus zusak. it was very sad but had so much hope in it.

i am now beginning 'nick cave: the birthday party and other epic adventures' by robert brokenmouth. it's a signed copy too! i got it for $8.50.

your sister gets me hard

Just bought the former president's book.

tarkil

downtownpony

been reading "Food of the Goods" by Terence McKenna. Seems pretty good so far. This thread reminded me to get back to it.

sing blue silver

just finished "I drink for a reason" by david cross. quick read. took me 2 days of light reading but i think it took that long because i spent so much time laughing. if you're into humor and not just serious reading, check it out. it's basically a series of rants but damn are the funny.

one weak

bump.

finished the millenium trilogy right before xmas. awesome! can't believe i waited to long to start it.

just read jonathan franzen's -- the corrections. really good, depressing yet crazy addicting. it's modern fiction, but it reminds you of something that they should teach in school but don't because of questionable, yet very real subject matter. can't wait to start his newest -- freedom.

wanting to read the mark twain autobiography. sounds interesting.

bright lights, big city

I've honestly only read "Moonlight Mile" by Dennis Lehane since I finished the Millennium trilogy like 6 months ago. Anyone know of some good crime novels in the vein of the Millenium books?
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

blixa

Quote from: one weak on Jan 07, 2011, 07:14 AM
bump.

finished the millenium trilogy right before xmas. awesome! can't believe i waited to long to start it.

just read jonathan franzen's -- the corrections. really good, depressing yet crazy addicting. it's modern fiction, but it reminds you of something that they should teach in school but don't because of questionable, yet very real subject matter. can't wait to start his newest -- freedom.

wanting to read the mark twain autobiography. sounds interesting.

i love the corrections. it was very sad. i read it mostly on trains. i hated denise so much in the beginning then she quickly became my favourite character. chip was a car crash that just kept happening all the time.

one weak

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Jan 07, 2011, 08:43 AM
I've honestly only read "Moonlight Mile" by Dennis Lehane since I finished the Millennium trilogy like 6 months ago. Anyone know of some good crime novels in the vein of the Millenium books?
yeah, i'm looking for more too. although i can recommend some true crime that i really liked: helter skelter & zodiac -- but those aren't too new or anything.

Variable

My buddy bought me Jesse Ventura's new book "Government Conspiracies" for a late Christmas present.  I have only had time to read the introduction today.  But I'm kind of excited to read it.  I think its going to be pretty good.

blixa

slowly making my way through it.

Jerry_Curls

I haven't read a book in a year, so I got myself one! I've been reading Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami. Something about his writing that I absolutely love. His books always put my imagination on a rollercoaster of emotions. Loves it!
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

blixa

just finished persuasion by jane austen. oh, i love her. i'm going to slowly make my way through her books. some i'll be re-reading for the fourth time.

lukas989

Jesus - I didnt even realise there was a book thread going on - I'll briskly peruse the previous pages to pluck a suggestion or two and purchase them then forthwith to allow myself the pleasure of retaining the delights their pages hold.  In the meantime, everyone should check out the duo by Tana French - In the Woods and the likeness - some really rather splendid crime novels....In the Woods is told first person about a guy who takes on a case bearing several similarities to an incident he himself was a victim of whilst a child during which he blacked out, and is therefore plunged into a journey into finding answers to what happened.  His partner is the only one who knows what happened - which leads on to the second, which is instead told through the eyes of the partner, where she bears an uncanny physical resemblence to a murdered girl, and is therefore sent in undercover as the girl to discover the truth.  Both shit hot.

one weak

that sounds awesome. it´s now on my list.

tarkil

Looks quite cool indeed, will have to check it out !!

Now reading : Robert Heinlein - Time for the stars
Awesome !

blixa

lukas989

Quote from: lukas989 on Feb 07, 2011, 09:23 PM
Jesus - I didnt even realise there was a book thread going on - I'll briskly peruse the previous pages to pluck a suggestion or two and purchase them then forthwith to allow myself the pleasure of retaining the delights their pages hold.  In the meantime, everyone should check out the duo by Tana French - In the Woods and the likeness - some really rather splendid crime novels....In the Woods is told first person about a guy who takes on a case bearing several similarities to an incident he himself was a victim of whilst a child during which he blacked out, and is therefore plunged into a journey into finding answers to what happened.  His partner is the only one who knows what happened - which leads on to the second, which is instead told through the eyes of the partner, where she bears an uncanny physical resemblence to a murdered girl, and is therefore sent in undercover as the girl to discover the truth.  Both shit hot.

Splendid news - I just discovered shes got another one out, which is about one of the characters in the Likeness - called Faithful Place.  Ill let you know when im done if its a good un (it will be Im sure).

tarkil

Just finished the Millenium trilogy (I know I'm late) : I really loved it !
If you didn't read it yet, just go for it, you'll enjoy it for sure, it's a very refreshing and captivating  read