Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Opeth

Started by Necrocetaceanbeastiality, Mar 26, 2006, 09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrisbo

Opeth are the shit!!! I saw them last year, they blew me away! And Mikael is one of the funniest guys ever, he reminded me a little bit of Billy Connoly, just his wit and the way he was speaking to the crowd. Blackwater Park is an amazing album, there seriously is not a weak moment, every second counts on that album! And they're not satanic one bit, well apart from 'The Grand Conjuration' hehe, but really that is all! Awesome band!

Quote from: Chino Moreno
You are as cool as you tell yourself you are...everybody just do what you do...have a good time...don't walk around being a punk...walk around and be excited...live your life

BigDave

Quote from: Azwethinkweiz on Mar 27, 2006, 12:46 PM
Quote from: You Fail Me on Mar 26, 2006, 09:08 PM

The thing about Opeth is, is they are a strange combination of black metal and prog. Alot of people classify them as "prog metal".

Opeth is far from being black metal.
Opeth is melodic death metal with a progressive sound.

word son.

blackwater park, my arms your hearse, damnation - all amazing albums.  new one sucks though.

4th Eye

Quote from: Muempire on Mar 26, 2006, 11:47 PM
Quote from: Assassin on Mar 26, 2006, 11:30 PM
So you're saying that black metal isn't anti-God? That's new to me.

Well im not 100% sure that the whole genre itself isnt cause im not a huge fan of it myself. But from what ive heard some of it tends to be pretty neutral on the matter. I think its just the heavy guitars and the overall brutal sound that paints the whole satanic picture. But its safe to say that Opeth are far from satanic and are definately worth checking out. Like Sam said anything  of Blackwater park is great so if your interested check it out.
There's differences between black metal bands but most common message is anti-christianity. Misanthropy, satanism and straight satan-worshipping are also common. Musically it's close to death metal but "singing" might be the distinctive factor, in black metal it's almost like shrieking instead of growling. And nowadays, symphonic stuff isn't rare in black metal. I think some black metal is good musically (for example Dimmu Borgir's few albums) but I'm not into their messages and rarely read the lyrics.

As for Opeth, I've gotten quite bored of them but I still listen to them every now and then. "Blackwater Park" is probably my favorite album.

Jizzlobber

Opeth are a fucking good band.
<

Chrisbo

Quote from: Jizzlobber on Apr 01, 2006, 09:04 AM
Opeth are a fucking good band.

Wisdom to my ears!

Quote from: Chino Moreno
You are as cool as you tell yourself you are...everybody just do what you do...have a good time...don't walk around being a punk...walk around and be excited...live your life

Azwethinkweiz

I love the way Mikael manages to change from the deep growls to the melodic Porcupine Tree'ish voice.

This is what death metal is about.

Fuck all the sick shit like cannibal corpse, deicide, morbid angel.

fireflyry

Quote from: Azwethinkweiz on Apr 03, 2006, 10:57 AM

True but if anything that's thrash, not death metal.

Opeth are'nt really my cup of tea but Damnation is an amazing album.

Quote from: tiger modeThats why we're all here. Deftones - common ground.

Azwethinkweiz

Quote from: fireflyry on Apr 03, 2006, 11:02 AM

Quote from: Azwethinkweiz on Apr 03, 2006, 10:57 AM

True but if anything that's thrash, not death metal.

no man. That isnt thrash. It's defintely death metal.
Slayer, old metallica, megadeth, anthrax, etc. That is thrash metal.

fireflyry

Each to their own and it depends where you are and who you talk to but Deicide,Morbid Angel and Cannibal Corpse have always been considered thrash in New Zealand especially amongst the goth/black metal scene here.

The vocals are'nt what I would consider death metal and the guitar work is'nt anywhere near as technical.

Azwethinkweiz

what would you consider death then?

fireflyry

Burzum and Dark Throne.

I'm not really an expert to be honest but base my comments more on listening to my friends conversations as they listen to nothing but Death metal and it's not really my cup of tea.

My friend did play me heaps of stuff recently just to show me the difference which seemed overly technical but I also assumed death metal normally had high pitched vocals as opposed to low growls?

Anyway even when I was at tech all the metal heads called those bands thrash.

Not saying they are right...just saying it appears to change depending on who you talk to.

I also thought true death metal was locational kind of like the grunge scene?

4th Eye

Hmm, weird. Seems like in New Zealand everything's upside down... ::)

I've learned to put Burzum and Dark Throne (even though I haven't much listened to them) in the black metal category, Cannibal Corpse and Morbid Angel in death metal (but death metal is nowadays probably the most broad subgenre in metal) and Slayer etc in thrash metal. The high-pitched voice reminds me more of speed metal (which is kinda less aggressive version of thrash metal) and I would probably put Megadeth etc in that category too. But there is bit of a point that Cannibal Corpse and others sounds like extreme thrash metal judging by their guitars. I don't know...there's so many viewpoints to metal.

And though I'm not a big fan of their music, I want to see Cannibal Corpse live. Those guys know how to put their hair in motion.

Also, to get back on topic, Mikael Ã…kerfeldt is one of the better vocalists in metal. He's inevitable to Opeth's versatile (Deliverance-Damnation compare) sound.

bright lights, big city

I just recently got into them. I've only heard Watershed, and I enjoyed it. What other albums are recommended?
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

alvarezbassist17

they're all really really really really good, but if you started with watershed, i'd say just go back album by album, starting with ghost reveries.  you'll love that cd.  that cd sums up their general style a lot better than watershed.  but yeah, every single album they've put out is golden.  they do mellow and heavy equally well.  if you just want a couple songs check out demon of the fall, blackwater park (title track) and godhead's lament.  those are a few of my favorites from their older stuff.

bright lights, big city

awesome! thanks man
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

theis

I think Ghost Reveries is their best album. Fucking amazing.

The Baying of the Hounds is one of the best songs I've ever heard. Absolutely stunning.

Battle-Axe

I'm seeing them for the third time on sunday :D

Cynic and The Ocean are supporting so it should be a fucking good show!

Also, Blackwater Park came out on my 12th birthday :P Didn't get into em til I was about 13 though but still haha.

mr.sinister

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: penguin in the desert on Nov 19, 2008, 12:13 AM

The Baying of the Hounds is one of the best songs I've ever heard. Absolutely stunning.

Yes!  Second that. 

cyppe101

Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Nov 20, 2008, 10:19 PM
Quote from: penguin in the desert on Nov 19, 2008, 12:13 AM

Yes!  Second that. 

yes, gonna have to agree with you two