Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

To all of the Americans on the board

Started by Variable, Jul 04, 2007, 05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tarkil

I do agree with Emma there... I'm completely grateful and happy about what my country gave me.
But I don't take any pride any that. IMO, I can only have pride in realizations I have accomplished. Not on what other people did for me. I don't want to have other people responsible for what's happening to me, so the only kind of pride I want to have  is the one in my actions.

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

Variable

But other people are responsible for what happens to you

tarkil

Nope... They are responsible for giving me the background in where I was able to develop myself... Everything that happened after was on my behalf, and I made happen what I have now.
Of course, this was made easier by the place I was born in, my family, etc. but in the end, everything that happened to me was my choices and my responsibility. Therefore, this is where I can have pride from.

Still just my opnion. I'm not stating it to convince you, just to let you know of it...

Variable

You dont control everything though

penny

we should nuke tarkil's country. that'll show his ass some control.

Variable

tarkil

Quote from: Variable on Jul 07, 2007, 05:06 AM
You dont control everything though

Of course it's impossible... But I tend to control my life, and live it as I want, never blaming anyone for my mistakes on the one hand, but seeing myself as the only / main responsible for my achievements too... Thus the pride in me and not in an "abstract" notion (see the " here...) as a nation.

Variable

I wish more people tried to take responsibility for their own actions. 

But I still believe you would not see a nation as so abstract if you ever needed it.  IE a international conflict amongst your travels or a war or some sort of social program in a bad time or old age or something.

why?

a country is just a place i live in. it's all good.
do. make. say. think.

Starz

Subliminal

Quote from: devilinside on Jul 06, 2007, 04:11 PM
Quote from: Mazzy on Jul 06, 2007, 05:57 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HCkYfYa8ePI

http://www.sharinglungs.com/index.php?topic=11278.0

and all my responses are in there to that fucking video. And like I said,I'd LOVE for an American to come over there and ask random people on the street's questions and see how fucking stupid they look too.

No offence Kelly but here in the U.K, You'll find people are pretty clued up.

Unless they went and asked a bunch of 12 years olds in a park.

Variable

No liam, just no.  If you really think thats how americans are then you are a lot more stupid than I thought.  And if you think there are not idiots walking around the streets of the UK, stupid.

devilinside

Quote from: Variable on Jul 07, 2007, 01:15 PM
No liam, just no.  If you really think thats how americans are then you are a lot more stupid than I thought.  And if you think there are not idiots walking around the streets of the UK, stupid.

rainnyx4

My problem is that if you take pride in all the great accomplishments of your country you must also acknowledge all the terrible things your country has done.  Something most people aren't too keen on doing.

That's why I don't think I can ever have "pride in my country".  Whenever I try to think of something great the USA has done I immediately remember something shitty as well.

We put a man on the moon...oh yeah, and we destroyed thousands of Native Americans lives in the name of Manifest Destiny.

law

Quote from: devilinside on Jul 06, 2007, 11:00 PM
Quote from: Law on Jul 06, 2007, 06:37 PM
Quote from: devilinside on Jul 06, 2007, 04:11 PM
Quote from: Mazzy on Jul 06, 2007, 05:57 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HCkYfYa8ePI

http://www.sharinglungs.com/index.php?topic=11278.0

and all my responses are in there to that fucking video. And like I said,I'd LOVE for an American to come over there and ask random people on the street's questions and see how fucking stupid they look too.

come on, everyone says that people take this board too seriously and here's a prime example.

Still, fucking dumbasses lol.

And you wonder why....

well yes I do actually, funny video showing how awesome America is.

Subliminal

Aww, look at all the American users of the board get stressy, Truth hurts though..

http://www.blogthings.com/areyouadumbamericanquiz/

Post your results and don't cheat ;)

http://hnazarian.blogspot.com/2007/06/dumb-america.html

Variable

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Jul 07, 2007, 04:13 PM
My problem is that if you take pride in all the great accomplishments of your country you must also acknowledge all the terrible things your country has done.  Something most people aren't too keen on doing.

That's why I don't think I can ever have "pride in my country".  Whenever I try to think of something great the USA has done I immediately remember something shitty as well.

We put a man on the moon...oh yeah, and we destroyed thousands of Native Americans lives in the name of Manifest Destiny.
I totally acknowledge all the shit we have done.  But its all part of the story, all a means to an end.  At the end of the day this country is still pretty awesome and I am glad to have lived here.

I suppose pride in onces country can also be the acknowledgement that your nation is greater than yourself.  The collective minds ,bodies,wealth , power and influence of your nation will more than likely out do anything you can ever accomplish.  So you can be proud of that and want to serve your nation and be proud to be a part of it. 

Variable

Quote from: Subliminal on Jul 07, 2007, 06:13 PM

Aww, look at all the American users of the board get stressy, Truth hurts though..

no, not really.  We just kind of think you are an idiot if you really believe people in the UK are so much smarter.  and if you want to use bush as an example you should make fun of yourself because your president followed him on his every move.

rainnyx4

Quote from: Variable on Jul 07, 2007, 06:23 PM
Quote from: rainnyx4 on Jul 07, 2007, 04:13 PM

I totally acknowledge all the shit we have done.  But its all part of the story, all a means to an end.  At the end of the day this country is still pretty awesome and I am glad to have lived here.

I suppose pride in onces country can also be the acknowledgement that your nation is greater than yourself.  The collective minds ,bodies,wealth , power and influence of your nation will more than likely out do anything you can ever accomplish.  So you can be proud of that and want to serve your nation and be proud to be a part of it. 

I have a lot of problems with what you just said.  But I'm only going to say the most important thing right now because I have to leave.

The government exists to serve the people.  Not the other way around.

alvarezbassist17

Quote from: Subliminal on Jul 06, 2007, 08:09 AM
I find it so ironic how i dislike America and most of the peoples views there.

But most of my musical idols and role models were all born there.. *sigh*

The only thing that makes it better is that all of them hate America themselves :)

that is so ignorant and whatever the adjective form of douchebag is.  yeah, british people all have bad teeth, except of course eric clapton, jimmy page and all of those role models, and they all hate people who didn't get braces.  there's people with extremist views everywhere, you fucking moron.  they're just the ones who get their views publicized because they're so crazy about them.  you're seriously just following the european american-hating fad, you should probably go buy some pokemon cards and some beanie babies to go with it.