Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones facebook/twitter/myspace/website updates.

Started by beLIEve, May 05, 2009, 11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lithium

werent you on tour with them for family values?
💩

from_musings

after f.o.d, live version of beware and fm,i remember hyping up snw to my friends so much, talking about how epic it sounded and how great it would be with a producer who produced pink floyd,the time they took with this one etc. then when the album dropped i couldn't even look them in their eyes

Vesanic

Keep in mind it was produced by Chino and Shaun eventually.

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

Quote from: Shadow46/2 on Aug 30, 2012, 11:29 PM
Quote from: rock_n_frost on Aug 30, 2012, 11:05 PM
Roller Derby is gonna be the first single and the video obviously. It is the hit.

Man, I hope not. I'd much rather they choose Rosemary. I miss those more epic singles like Minerva and Change. Rocket Skates was a cool first single for Diamond Eyes because the band stated they needed to put their aggressive side back on display after so long. But now that they have that core fanbase's attention back, I think they should go with the more interesting choice this time. Namely, Rosemary.

An it's not like it isn't heavy. It's fucking heavy as fuck. But it's catchy too. A perfect deftones song if you ask me.
Wasn't DE the first single? Then RS? idk
Pushing you back but still you ain't goooooooooone!!!!!!

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

Sorry man, i read more. Confirmed. Was really just wanting to know for myself I guess. thanx

iceache

https://twitter.com/AlanAshcraft/status/243171165529571328

Alan Ashcraft ‏@AlanAshcraft
Working on some stuff for Deftones. Pretty psyched.

https://twitter.com/kyleisez/status/243165714561789952

Kyle Crawford
‏@kyleisez
collection intervention then bed, getting up at 5am to work on some deftones, YES!

Looks like new merch designs incoming!

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

BillyNo.9

Quote from: Hesperian Death-Horse! on Sep 06, 2012, 12:36 AM
Quote from: pony_01 on Sep 05, 2012, 07:33 PM
http://www.metalsucks.net/2012/08/31/new-deftones-album-gets-title-release-date-headline-tour/

LOL

Reporter uses "u" instead of "you" in a report.

Loses all professional credibility.

I think he pretty much lost his credibility by being so direct with his audience. not so much an informative article than a schizophrenic argument. Fuck I hate metal fans.

punkflop01

Why do I get the feeling that the person who wrote that piece is trying to be funny.

pony_01

Quote from: punkflop01 on Sep 08, 2012, 03:58 AM
Why do I get the feeling that the person who wrote that piece is trying to be funny.

"Yeah pfft awesome info, Chino. If that is your real name."

This is fucking hilarious xD

iceache

These were posted today.. last image 22 minutes ago.. first one 5 hours ago.

Looks like Stef shaved.

Inkblades

What the hell? Clean shaven Deftones? That's a new one.

Alright, I have the Metal Hammer interview with Abe but my scanner is being lame. I'll try to have it up soon.

iceache

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 13, 2012, 12:43 AM
What the hell? Clean shaven Deftones? That's a new one.

Alright, I have the Metal Hammer interview with Abe but my scanner is being lame. I'll try to have it up soon.

Anything good in it?

Inkblades

Nothing great, but a couple little tidbits about their writing process. The article was actually written before they announced the title was Koi No Yokan.

iceache

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 13, 2012, 12:46 AM
Nothing great, but a couple little tidbits about their writing process. The article was actually written before they announced the title was Koi No Yokan.

Ahh ok sounds good

OnyxPanicProne

Inkblades

Printer wasn't working so I just typed it out.

RAISING THE 'TONE

Deftones are locked away working on album number seven.

After 2006's Saturday Night Wrist and the subsequent stories that flew around about disharmony within the Deftones camp, 2009's Diamond Eyes (2010, actually - Inkblades) saw the Sacramento pioneers earn deserved worldwide acclaim and was one of the few albums that was touted as a 'return to form' that delivered all that and more. In the aftermath of Chi Cheng's tragic and having shelved their now infamous 'lost' album, Eros, Deftones went back to basics, and it's those newfound old-school fundamentals that have fuelled the writing and recording of their upcoming as-yet untitled album.

"We've just got in a room and jammed out our ideas like we did on the last album," says drummer Abe Cunningham. "We'd go in and come up with all these funky ideas in a room together instead of sending ideas to each other's mp3s while we're in different parts of the country. It gets you excited, like it felt when we were kids in a garage. It's just made it so much more enjoyable to make music together and record music together by doing this. We wrote separately and then came into a rehearsal spot for two and a half moments and thrashed it out."

As has been well documented, the word 'enjoyable' has rarely been synonymous with Deftones and the process of making an labum. Though tumultuous times with producers and, mainly, each other, the return to basics has proven the catalyst for this new, 'happier' form of the band. Well, sort of.

"Me and Stephen [Carpenter, guitar] will still have the odd blow-out!", Abe laughs. "It's not this fairytale happy land that we live in, but it's a lot easier than it was in previous times, sure."

One of the major contributing factors to a more productive environment this time out was has been the emergence of former Quicksand bassist Sergio Vega, settling down for his second recording with the band.

"These sessions have also been helped by Sergio feeling more at home as part of the band," Abe says. "He's more at ease and feels more comfortable in contributing music and ideas this time out. It's been great seeing him feel like he can say what he wants to say, which was maybe not the case the last time around."

What has also differed from the Diamond Eyes session is that, while that guitars on that album were handled entirely by Stephen, this new outing sees the return of frontman Chino Moreno playing on the new opus.

"He played on three quarters of the album," reveals Abe. "His playing has really, really improved over the years. Where initially he was learning to play guitar in front of the world, now he's a really accomplished player. For a while, we were calling him 'Mr One-Take' because he was nailing all of his parts at the first time of asking."

It may be presumptuous on our part, but with Chino ripping back on the guitar, events would seem to suggest that the material on this album may be a return to the dreamier soundscapes of their self-titled 2003 effort rather than the harsher tones found of Diamond Eyes.  (Yeah, Sextape and Beauty School are so much more brutal than Hexagram, Needles & Pins and WGTB. Lulz. - IB)

"That's not the case at all," Abe refutes in an instant. "There are parts of this album that are super-aggressive too, but it's varied. Some of the stuff is really hard-hitting, some of it's more refined. It's a concise album. We do a lot of editing of the songs as we go, as we have tons of ideas."

Have there been any forays into creative uncharted territories on this album?

"We've been experimenting a lot with our intros," replies Abe. "It's almost as though there are intros of intros. They feel kind of warm and fuzzy - it's something we've never done before. There's a lot going on with dynamics on this album, and this is one of the main things we're talking about when we mention going through the lighter moments and into heavier moments. It's definitely us. I don't think you could mistake this album for sounding like anyone other than us."

Produced by Nick Rasculinecz and mixed by Matt Hyde (who is handling production duties on the upcoming Parkway Drive album), the album's set to contain 10 to 12 tracks and will be out in the autumn.