Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

What Deftones song has the clearest meaning for you?

Started by Hinojos, May 22, 2016, 01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

endstand

MX - a song about passion for woman that attracts you and bores you at the same time.
Pink Maggit (slow part, "I'm so into this whore") - a song about strong attachment to a "wrong" girl; relationship which hurts you.
hello memory lover, you are mine

The Cyndicate

Quote from: Hinojos on May 25, 2016, 07:37 AM
Cool to see that some people responded to this thread! There are some interesting ones. BQAD has always been very simple and positive for me, so it's interesting to see it that way.

Another song: Rickets. I don't see it being about anything else other than a girl bitching at him, and it's getting to the point to where she's bitching at every little thing he does. It's getting old and he doesn't even care anymore.

The first lines "it's so simple to look at every little thing I do wrong, it's so simple to overlook every little thing I do right, right?" adds onto that as well. It's basically saying that when he does something good, she pays him no mind. However when he does something bad, she bitches at him. She doesn't care about or respect him anymore, so the rest of the song is basically him saying "so why should I?"

Yeah, Rickets is a good one.

WickedBreath

Another song: Rickets. I don't see it being about anything else other than a girl bitching at him, and it's getting to the point to where she's bitching at every little thing he does. It's getting old and he doesn't even care anymore.

The first lines "it's so simple to look at every little thing I do wrong, it's so simple to overlook every little thing I do right, right?" adds onto that as well. It's basically saying that when he does something good, she pays him no mind. However when he does something bad, she bitches at him. She doesn't care about or respect him anymore, so the rest of the song is basically him saying "so why should I?"

That's interesting. I always thought it was simply self-deprecation, that the other person is trying to diminish, but the subject doesn't want to listen.

Hinojos

Quote from: WickedBreath on May 25, 2016, 11:41 AM

That's interesting. I always thought it was simply self-deprecation, that the other person is trying to diminish, but the subject doesn't want to listen.
Well damn, this is exactly why I was interested in starting this thread. Every time I think of a song that has to just have one meaning, someone else always throws in another meaning. I guess that's what makes them so great.
There's so many songs that have a definite meaning to me, but I can see how someone else would have a different meaning, which is why I wouldnt throw them in this list. Cherry Waves and Sextape for example have a relatable meaning for me, but I've heard like 10 others for those songs. I was just bored at home chilling and was having issues thinking of some, so I posted this for other people's thoughts haha. I would have never looked at Rickets personally as self-deprecation.

WickedBreath

Quote from: Hinojos on May 25, 2016, 10:31 PM
Quote from: WickedBreath on May 25, 2016, 11:41 AM

Well damn, this is exactly why I was interested in starting this thread. Every time I think of a song that has to just have one meaning, someone else always throws in another meaning. I guess that's what makes them so great.
There's so many songs that have a definite meaning to me, but I can see how someone else would have a different meaning, which is why I wouldnt throw them in this list. Cherry Waves and Sextape for example have a relatable meaning for me, but I've heard like 10 others for those songs. I was just bored at home chilling and was having issues thinking of some, so I posted this for other people's thoughts haha. I would have never looked at Rickets personally as self-deprecation.

Indeed, that's the beauty of art to me: at the end of the day, everyone has their own interpretation. :) On my own, I wouldn't have thought of it your way either. I do feel like with Deftones there's usually a pretty quick instinctive first meaning or rather a theme that the lyrics revolve around, but there's ambiguity in the way Chino makes connections and chooses his words. A lot of the songs from Diamond Eyes for instance are simply about sex to me, but the mood shapes up to be quite unorthodox due to the metaphors and the language portraying them.

JorBert

Hexagram is about the hate between different cultural views - they kill we kill. More specific, a video of a public bombing. I see posts all the time saying it's about fame but I can't see that at all. "Paint the streets in white. Death is a standard breach for a complex prize." White streets representing maybe figurative preparation of a path to heaven and heaven is the complex prize - basically people are about to die. He expects this kind of action from any indigenous sound - cultural ideology/dogma. Saying parents, you and I are proud means there are people supporting the bombing so it's not a single person acting alone - the bomber's culture/country whatever. The streets are crowded, a car bomb goes off and people are freaking out. Someone holding the camera is running, making the viewer seasick. Regardless of the culture/religion/race, everyone kills for the survival of their  beliefs - it's the same sound from both sides. Can't really say same words because of language differences but the sound they are making has the same meaning. Worship play is the ideology people follow. The chorus is meant to be annoying/obnoxious like people's opposing beliefs or hatred towards one another.

But actually writing this down I'm starting to think I really have no idea what it means and I know nothing about the band. In an interview, they said they don't care about other people's religious beliefs and they all have different political views. Interpretations of Chino's lyrics should be a psychological test. Read some interpretations and you can find out what kind of person they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwenudo

WGTB has to be the clearest. also the best in my personal opinion. it got me hrough things, dumbass teenage life lol. thats what that song is basically about, an unhealthy teenage relationship.
Was it like it seemed?...