Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Black Metal: The Red Headed Stepchild of Extreme Metal

Started by oldgentlovecraft, Mar 26, 2008, 05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldnewtype

I love black metal, i think, but i hate genrs so i never know whats death metal, whats extreme metal or whats heavy met. The only bands i listen to tha i know are black metal would be mayhem, emperor, bathory, dimmu, old cradle. old mans child i guess, fuck genres

whodunit?

Quote from: goldpony on Apr 03, 2008, 08:53 PM
The following illustrates why i cant listen to black metal. it gets really absurd at times and i have a real hard time taking the music, not the lyrics, seriously

goldpony

LMFAO
hhahahahhahaahhahaahhaahhahahhaahhahahahhahahhaha
"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on May 31, 2008, 09:58 PM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: wither-I on Apr 04, 2008, 05:55 AM
Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Apr 03, 2008, 07:46 PM
I'm glad that somebody said that.  It really depends on what bands you are listening to.  Older black metal was centered around pissed off youth who took their ideas to the extreme.  However, I disagree about the love, human nature and faith.  If their ideas changed in any way then we wouldn't have such beautifully raw and angry music and for most Satanists faith already exists for the self.  Do you despise Satanism or just the physical acts of violence?  I disagree with the violence but find that much of what black metal bands are trying to convey is rebellion against the norm.  That's what most metal is trying to do and yeah the problem is that a lot of fans turn it into a trend that ruins it for everyone else.  I've read numerous interviews with bm musicians where they admitted that the lyrics were nothing more than fantasy and shouldn't be taken as anything else.  The true Norwegian Black Metal bands were basically anarchists and nihilists that posed as "evil" to sell music and make a name.  Now, there is so much variety and much more philosophy that the old dogma no longer exists or is only from a handful of bands. 
your a premier member of this board. very sturdy. i like your style man. im not keen on the "physical violence" aspect. its a horrible thing and is the ruin of man. and concerning the fantasy realm- ive been there myself and it IS good to release/get out, but in order not to supress one will opress unto another and that is wrong. the one thing ive gathered is that, "the norm" or whatever one will call it, is perception of the external, the view -(a biased one at that)- to an individual, being a part to the whole, and the whole being the sum of its parts (individuals); is gathered as a common, when in commonality -one is distinct only to another commoner (basically a misperception to the rule). i know it sounds abstract and possibly nonsensical, but what im trying to say, in layman's terms, is that you really cannot percieve "against" - "one"(an individual) or a "whole"(society/norm/etc etc) unless you have retained that exact position (and that is impossible and inadequate). its basically saying "until you have walked in one's shoes can you really preside a true judgement. maybe i have too much compassion, but you must take in affect-everyones own distinct trials are according to their own perception and not "your's"(allegorical). for what one will see in life,  even eveyday, may be completely different to another, and this should not be condemned... its a hard thing to grasp because "we" all base our position to the denoument of another (natural heirarchies). its all philosophy in the end, but i have my stand and that is of love for "all", and what i mean in faith is- faith in "all"- as i really know nothing for sure, so "all" may well be all i have. trust and faith in another. and the whole theme of the BM philosophies as i have have taken it are seperatist and faithless. they see themselves "outside" and "above" the "all". which is all just perception in the end. and as i sense that "we"(allegorical)- really do know nothing for sure- how can we procure position and opposition until we "know". everything is angled and biased- turned by gravity of perception. and i believe once you abase yourself, and reach commonality with "all", you will reach the core and become stabalized in love. love for "all" is faith. and faith relies on "me". here: i wrote this earlier; i write without keen notice and love as a novice, my passion will never die as i am never sure of anything at all.
my purpose is beyond my perception and my power of will  exceeds beyond my eyes as they fall beneath my feet. this world is priceless- and we are the greater shades of chaos-obscene as we are green. nothing makes sense and noone knows it. sloping parallels of abject consciences. without me God is but energy-and without energy i have no motive-where inertia meets desire-i will LOVE-and this is my power. [faith ] relies on [me]

kinda rambled, i know lol.

Well said!  I understand much better now and actually agree with your philosophy for the most part.  Black Metal ideals are very self centered and narrow minded and completely disregard the world and people around them unless it's for personal gain.  It's all subjective though being that some BM artists may scoff at your beliefs and at the core Satanism (or whatever distorted version they claim is such) is a very selfish ideology that doesn't focus on the experiences of others or the human race at all.    I straddle the fence about my personal beliefs somewhere between philosophical Satanism and some form of Humanism.  There are times to  isolate yourself and there are times to share compassion.  You have a good grasp on things it seems and I can see why you disagree with the image.  Well put friend.

oldgentlovecraft

I read an interview by him and he had made some good arguments and then completely ruined them by being a professional vampire wrestler and saying that he sucked the blood of his girlfriends lol.  Maybe if he sorted out the fantasy from the reality he would be a decent guy. 

White Pwny

hang a noose for my new sinner.... somewhere everyone can see it...

whodunit?

Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Apr 04, 2008, 05:06 PM
I read an interview by him and he had made some good arguments and then completely ruined them by being a professional vampire wrestler and saying that he sucked the blood of his girlfriends lol.  Maybe if he sorted out the fantasy from the reality he would be a decent guy. 

yeah, I just read an interview for one of Polish news sites and he did the same thing.

oldgentlovecraft

It was strange.  He sounded like a normal candidate with some positive ideas.  Except for the vampirism, witchcraft, satanism, wrestling, boxing, being the head of a coven, etc.  As if our presidents aren't strange enough....

goldpony

Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Apr 04, 2008, 06:40 PM
It was strange.  He sounded like a normal candidate with some positive ideas.  Except for the vampirism, witchcraft, satanism, wrestling, boxing, being the head of a coven, etc.  As if our presidents aren't strange enough....

sounds like normal politcal behavior to me :)
"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on May 31, 2008, 09:58 PM
I fucking love Brad Pitt