Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Smashing Pumpkins - What the **** happened to this band?

Started by pinkmaggit, May 24, 2010, 03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wheresmysnare

Quote from: Nebontha on Jul 10, 2010, 06:56 PM
QuoteWhat the **** happened to this band?
it's just like how Stephen Carpenter said it in an interview I saw on YouTube:
"...it all became about Billy (Corgan) and his bald head..."

or something to that extent

fuck that it was always about billy corgan and his bald head, the rest were paid monkeys

Sinatra

They lost their magic :(
Although whenever I listen to their old stuff I get that back, still one of my favorite bands.
There is always Silversun Pickups though!  :)

Sushi-X

Eeeewww silversun pickups. That's like saying that Radiohead lost "it" after Ok Computer and there's always coldplay.

Have you guys listened to "Freak" by SP it's a solid song. Hopefully Corgan can write more material as good as that

Rocket Skates '94

Sinatra

Quote from: Sushi-X on Aug 01, 2010, 08:36 AM
Eeeewww silversun pickups. That's like saying that Radiohead lost "it" after Ok Computer and there's always coldplay.

Eeeewww? Really I find them really good, it was just a friendly suggestion. I wasn't even comparing the two, I was just suggesting a band with a similar sound.
Silversun Pickups are obviously influenced heavily by Smashing Pumpkins. And i would never compare Coldplay to Radiohead,
Radiohead is another one of my favorite bands and some of my favorite stuff was during the Kid A, Amnesiac sessions so you can just stop while you're ahead.

Sushi-X

See to me silversun pickups are just a wee bit to much like the pumpkins. I honestly thought the lead singer was a chick. But his vocals are just to irritating for me. Sure Billy has that nasally whine but at least the music has a fucking punch to make up for it. I don't hear that in silversun pickups.

Rocket Skates '94

Sinatra

Neither vocalists bother me at all, Smashing Pumpkins is one of my favorite bands and Silversun is just a bad I like.
If you give Silversun a chance they really aren't that bad. They have better stuff than whats on the radio haha. And honestly
they are really good live. You could probably picture the vocalist having his voice highly edited for recordings but he sounds
exactly the same live, I was surprised lol. As far as sounding too much like the Smashing Pumpkins, I don't really know if thats
a bad thing because there aren't many bands that sound a thing like the Smashing Pumpkins. If a new band wants to
give music that is somewhat reminiscent of the Smashing Pumpkins old stuff, I'll gladly take it.  :)

An bád dubh

I've waited about 14 years to check this band out. Ive just never felt like doing it yet. This thread has inspired me though.

So gonna download Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness and see how it sounds. A few of the songs are probably familiar to me on the album but besides that everything will be nice and new to me.

Sinatra

Awesome!  :)
Download Siamese Dream, then listen to "Hummer" you'll love it.

Sushi-X

See my thing is that I would like for newer bands to make their own unique sound. If they wanna incorporate stuff that influenced them. That's fine, just don't straight off ape the style. I did try listening to them I had Swoon and Carivansal, or what ever the correct spelling is . I just couldn't get into them. I kept thinking Smashing Pumpkins.

Rocket Skates '94

ToneDef

Mothman

Smashing Pumpkins is my all-time favourite band. What could I say about these things I read here? :/

Well, I know Billy is not in his best moment, but I'd rather keep that amazing music he brought to us from Gish to Machina (althought I liked Zeitgeist and these last songs -you guys have to check "A Song for a Son", it is amazing) and think he doesn't owe anything to us. If he releases music we like, we take it, if we don't like, we'll be still happy.

The sad point would be, in my opinion, the attitude. Billy doesn't seem to grow old healthly.

BTW, he's releasing some new songs (for free) in his website, soon he'll release a nice song called "As Rome Burns". Give it a chance, guys, it's just 2 o 3 minutes and, if you don't like it, you can erase it from your PC and stay nice :)
You move like I want to.