Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Whitechapel new song feat. Chino Moreno

Started by Vesanic, Jun 02, 2010, 08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wax

Vesanic

Quote from: alvarezbassist17 on Jun 03, 2010, 10:37 PM
Yeah, that did get a little long-winded, didn't it?  Sorry that went down in your thread, ves.  He was just on the same bullshit anti-metal (or deathcore or whatever) tirade with that suicide silence cover and I'm kind of fed up.

I don't care that it's my topic or not. That kind of debate is just stupid. Dude, if the guy in front of you can't imagine that some other people might have a DIFFERENT perspective, don't waste your time.

And my opinion about this song is that it sucks. Not on every point, the instrumentals are pretty good even if, as Wax mentionned, that shit has been done tons of times before. But it's not even that, I think that the vocals fucking ruin it. The part with Chino was good.

And I don't say that because I think that everything Chino does is awesome ( although I think that a major part of his music is awesome ), but only because I like that kind of screamings, they sound better, to my ears.

And about that Suicide Silence cover, I like how they added some hardcore vibe to the instrumentals, it sounds deliciously heavy, but there again, I hate the vocals, the guy sounds like a mad daffy duck, and he sounds like he's making a giant burp on the choruses.

But I'm not losing another point from the radar, the fact that some people might actually prefer the style of the actual vocalist, and I can totally understand it, even though I really do NOT like it.

alvarezbassist17

agreed, extra props for posting it even though you don't like whitechapel haha.  And yeah, probably should've ignored him, just touched a nerve a bit.

bright lights, big city

Quote from: Vesanic on Jun 03, 2010, 10:25 PM
Quote from: defskull on Jun 03, 2010, 10:06 PM
Yeah it's easy to say "hey this isn't my type of music so I don't like it".  That's being open-minded.  Saying "how in the hell can anyone like this shit?" is being closed-minded.  Now you know the difference.

Skull just summarized in two lines what you have to learn from your stupid debate.
you know what? you're right man. it's done.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

wax

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Jun 03, 2010, 11:09 PM
Quote from: Vesanic on Jun 03, 2010, 10:25 PM
Quote from: defskull on Jun 03, 2010, 10:06 PM
Yeah it's easy to say "hey this isn't my type of music so I don't like it".  That's being open-minded.  Saying "how in the hell can anyone like this shit?" is being closed-minded.  Now you know the difference.

Skull just summarized in two lines what you have to learn from your stupid debate.
you know what? you're right man. it's done.

yet i really am curious how in the hell anyone can like this shit  why is the band so good?   

alvarezbassist17

We just took different paths in our music choices, man.  I started listening to Deftones mostly because they were heavy, I mean don't get me wrong, I love all of the styles they play, but it was My Own Summer that really got me into them.  But then I kept drifting more to the heavy side, started listening to death metal and metalcore, and that's just the style of the vocals, and a lot of it I don't really know how you could sing over.  I don't really know any other way to explain it.  I can't speak for anyone else, but I like Whitechapel's vocals because they're so low and bellowy and I think he's got a pretty good sense of rhythm as far as screamers go.  But I think it parallels in many ways horror movies, why are people that like horror movies considered less weird than people who like metal?

bewareofrats

I didn't want to get into an argument. I continued with my harsh opinion because someone directed me to a band they probably knew I'd hate (The Faceless) based on my post about Whitechapel. My absolute hatred of these bands isn't specifically about the music so much as it is about the vocals (even though I don't like the music either). Even though I hate the way the vocalist/s sounds with a passion I understand it's still just my opinion and don't actually think anyone is dumb just because they like it. It may come across that way because of how against this music I am but I know it's just opinions and they vary greatly so don't take it too harshly.

And about Deftones (which I'm a fan of) being in the metal realm, that's not what it's about. I'm not against all metal, I'm against it when it sounds like a big hodge podge of a mess (to me) and the vocalist doesn't sound human. Chino's singing and screaming sounds human to me and I like his distinct style so it's a different story.
Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847

RoyalDeftonicBoy

Quote from: Vesanic on Jun 03, 2010, 07:50 PM
Y'all shut the fuck up.

Perfectly stated :D and I think it should be close already

Mikey

I didn't think people listened to crap like Suicide Silence and Horse The Band outside of high school. While they are with their wolf pack.

It makes me giggle:
YouTube's Most Hardcore Screamers: Viral Video Film School

stoneFeD

Quote from: deftjess on Jun 02, 2010, 06:05 PM
I like anything that Chino puts his Voclas on, it improves the song ecspecially this Shit kind of music

alvarezbassist17

After many listens, I have come to the conclusion that this song is groovy as fuck.  Chino's part is super dope and I love the song structure as well as the riffs.  The only thing is, it's kinda keeping me from listening to the whole Whitechapel CD all the way through, and I've been looking forward to it for a long time.

Y'all are just mad because Chino just totally validated deathcore as a genre worthy of his vocal talents :P

bright lights, big city

haha yeah dude. and those groovy riffs around the 2 minute mark are fucking sweet.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

alvarezbassist17

Yeah, I totally dig how they keep varying that part and the drums over it... and then chino comes in and fucking freaks out.

\m/

nineteen

Nothing's shit or great. You either like it or not.

Nobody has the almighty opinion that rules over all. That would be called blind faith.

The song is great!

Being open minded is important personally. I can listen to this then put on some Eric Clapton and Telefon Tel Aviv. It's all good!

iceache

I find this song and the Droid song, really showcase why Chino is regarded as one of the best screamers in the industry.

wheresmysnare

I would agree Chino used to be from Adrenaline to White Pony, not anymore.

Vesanic

Quote from: wheresmysnare on Jun 06, 2010, 07:15 PM

His screamings from the S/T era are, imo, the most killer ones.

alvarezbassist17

Quote from: wheresmysnare on Jun 06, 2010, 07:15 PM

have you heard the song in this thread?

wheresmysnare

I'm not saying i don't like his more recent screams and I would agree ST has some of his most passionate and intense screams but you can hear where his vocal chords had taken a battering. His vocal cords have gone, he can't scream like he used to back in the day, that is my point and that's probably why DE has phased screaming. Chino went from screaming entire verses, or even whole songs (i.e. Elite) to accenting either the beginning or end of every other line, to pretty much saving screams up for special occasions lol. I know people get their backs up if you mention Chino's vocal evolution, i'm not bitching, he is and remains my favourite vocalist but he can't scream like he used to.