Started by luisch, Apr 25, 2012, 03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank

come on man

chino sounds awesome on Mission.

you can't hear that ?

laurapalmer

Quote from: scarywindow on Jun 18, 2013, 06:20 AM
I would really advise that people not be so hasty in judging this record.  there are a few nuances contained within this album that may take some time adjusting to, but if i know anything, it's that this record tends to unfold more and more on each listen.  there is not a bad song on here, the flow is perfect, and i think (ex) ISIS and Chino sound amazing together.   this is truly the record i've been waiting for from BOTH camps the whole time. 

now, this is my personal opinion - but i have had quite a bit of time with this record (surprise!), and i can honestly say that i am in love with it... and here's what will get me flamed:  i would take this record over any Deftones or ISIS made to date.  it is absolutely perfect to me.  i do hope PALMS continue to grow, record, and flourish.  this is the band i've been waiting for... for a VERY, VERY long time.

enjoy your listening sessions, and might i suggest HEADPHONES... please.  this album is so layered and actually very beautifully produced and engineered by Aaron.

trust me, i've had my fanboy moments for Deftones for YEARS (97-2010), and the same with ISIS (Oceanic - Wavering Radiant) - and i was careful to not let that steer my opinion one way or another... and although it did at first, i just have to say - if this record were recorded by Deftones, i'd call it their best record BY FAR.  same with ISIS. 

so, as far as i'm concerned, LONG LIVE PALMS.

High praise. Far too high for me. I did listen to this record on "HEADPHONES" as you call them, a very nice pair as a matter of fact. Mission Sunset certainly stopped me in my tracks and I seem to enjoy Antarctic Handshake more than most. There isn't a song I particularly dislike but its just not there for me yet

scarywindow

Quote from: laurapalmer on Jun 18, 2013, 07:01 AM
Quote from: scarywindow on Jun 18, 2013, 06:20 AM
I would really advise that people not be so hasty in judging this record.  there are a few nuances contained within this album that may take some time adjusting to, but if i know anything, it's that this record tends to unfold more and more on each listen.  there is not a bad song on here, the flow is perfect, and i think (ex) ISIS and Chino sound amazing together.   this is truly the record i've been waiting for from BOTH camps the whole time. 

now, this is my personal opinion - but i have had quite a bit of time with this record (surprise!), and i can honestly say that i am in love with it... and here's what will get me flamed:  i would take this record over any Deftones or ISIS made to date.  it is absolutely perfect to me.  i do hope PALMS continue to grow, record, and flourish.  this is the band i've been waiting for... for a VERY, VERY long time.

enjoy your listening sessions, and might i suggest HEADPHONES... please.  this album is so layered and actually very beautifully produced and engineered by Aaron.

trust me, i've had my fanboy moments for Deftones for YEARS (97-2010), and the same with ISIS (Oceanic - Wavering Radiant) - and i was careful to not let that steer my opinion one way or another... and although it did at first, i just have to say - if this record were recorded by Deftones, i'd call it their best record BY FAR.  same with ISIS. 

so, as far as i'm concerned, LONG LIVE PALMS.

High praise. Far too high for me. I did listen to this record on "HEADPHONES" as you call them, a very nice pair as a matter of fact. Mission Sunset certainly stopped me in my tracks and I seem to enjoy Antarctic Handshake more than most. There isn't a song I particularly dislike but its just not there for me yet

Understandable.  I've just spent a bit longer with the record than some of you, and I truly believe a lot of you will come around...  If not, that's fine... not my mission here.  Perhaps this praise that is 'far too high' for you is just a matter of personal taste.  To me, this is a perfect album.  Sits right next to the Cure's 'Disintegration' for me in terms of sheer brilliance, atmosphere, and overall beauty.  After many, many listens spent giving my undivided attention to this record, it continues to prove itself to me more and more each time.  Also, why the 'headphones' remark?  That is what they are called, after all.

I hope everyone enjoys their night listening to this magnificent album.

shoop

I love how bass heavy this is in some parts. Tropics fucking thumps with a good subwoofer haha. I think it all sounds great, if you're listening to it on quality speakers of course. This is way better than I ever expected it to be, and i'm so happy I had no expectations because i'm quite surprised at the moment. Very well done for a debut I think, and hopefully this turns into more at some point.

DeftonesNZ

I noticed the bass on Tropics to, it sounds much better than the first version we heard.

Hank

Quote from: shoop on Jun 18, 2013, 07:56 AM
This is way better than I ever expected it to be, and i'm so happy I had no expectations because i'm quite surprised at the moment. Very well done for a debut I think, and hopefully this turns into more at some point.

Right on man.

We all seem to pick at the bad in a lot of things instead of just grasp the good there is.

Listening to Shortwave now and its so fucking groovy . Starting to finally dig the ending somewhat.

White Wrist

To be honest...at the first listening, i don´t like. at all.

hope it grows on me.

sicily

wow mission sunset is sick, from 4:00 on is bliss, when it gets all spacey at 5:00 is so fuckin sick. Shit is redic.  anyone work out the lyrics yet???

jaypayton

Is it just me or are all of Chino's side projects starting to sound like one another. I see no difference between Palms and Crosses....and Team Sleep for that matter

Inkblades

I'm not seeing the Crosses comparison at all. I guess you can make an argument that Palms sounds like Team Sleep (same hazy, dreamy quality), but I think structurally the songs are very different, as are Chino's vocals.

Jacob

pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

N0S3BLEED976

This year has already been huge in terms of album releases, but this is undoubtedly the cream of the crop so far

ChannelZer0

Future Warrior! All day everyday. Best f*cling song hands down!!
Sorrow

bewareofrats

To the person or persons who said the end of Shortwave Radio disappointed them or they weren't sure about it, what are you talking about?  That's one of the best parts of the album I think.  It's pretty heavy and one of the most interesting music parts, but also vocally, Chino has some intensity going on there.

I love the vibe of Tropics and would kind of like there to be more of that on the album.  AH is nice with the extensive instrumental section now that I listen to it again and Chino sounds excellent in this song.  Mission Sunset is getting better and Chino has some great parts in it.
Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847

N0S3BLEED976

Shortwave Radio is my favourite. The build-up towards the end is probably the best moment on the entire album

iceache

I dunno why you guys thought the vocals would sound different.  It was apparent they spent no time doing any real vocal recording /production.  I'll listen to this when o get home.

ghettovaquero

can someone pm me a link im late to the party

Deadradio

So good! I don't care what anyone says.