Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Who hates the S/T, or thinks it's their worst/weakest effort, and why?

Started by Vesanic, Jun 08, 2012, 01:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vesanic

It is no secret that lots of Deftones fans have never been into the self-titled record. I, for one, think it's the heaviest thing they could ever come up with, and all the passion/romance/rage into makes it a unique, unmatchable piece of art. My personal favorite is White Pony, but I think the S/T has something that none of their other records has. Long story short, I fucking love this record.

I'm asking this to those people: why don't you like this record that much? I'm pretty curious. I remember Cain came up with a very harsh opinion but he had his arguments and I respect that. I'd like to hear some more.

occipudding

It is unfathomable to me to think that anyone who considers themselves a Deftones fan would dislike the self-titled album.
machete!  meow

from_musings

i don't care about the haters and the naysayers, this album is amazing

rainnyx4

Always been my least favorite album.  The reason being that a lot of the songs sound unfinished and predictable.  Like, instead of writing a proper bridge or what have you, they would just repeat something already in the song maybe in a slightly different fashion.  This is my one complaint with the band, they get lazy sometimes.  Whenever I find myself complaining about this band it's either that a song sounds too similar to a past one (Engine No. 9/Headup/Elite/etc.) or the song feels predictable and unfinished (Hexagram, Kimdracula, Rocket Skates, etc.).

It was never the heaviness or darkness of the album that bothered me.  I'll always be a fan of that stuff from them.  I just felt that the overall songwriting was lacking a lot on Self-Titled.  Even the band themselves said they were really lazy when they wrote that album.  This is also why I never understood the hate for SNW.  To me, SNW had a lot of really fresh and ambitious ideas on it.  The only songs I don't like on it are Mein and Xerces.  They seemed more like B-sides to me.   Though they still got lazy a few times on SNW when it came time to write a bridge.

Anniversary is definitely a top 5 Deftones song though.

BillyNo.9

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Jun 08, 2012, 02:30 AM

I just felt that the overall songwriting was lacking a lot on Self-Titled. 

Even though this is my second favourite album, I'd have to agree that it was lacking something, not a lot for me though. I look over that and  listen more the to soundscape and different production techniques used on each song.   

Northcal

Atf all day.but s/t has a dark vibe to it that I love ,if your a  deftones fan u gotta love it. You have to muthafucka as simple as that.yeeee

kitesvera

after many years its  become a favorite deftones, but not all time favorite record. I love all their albums equally but for different reasons of course.they are my favorite band of all time so i could be semi bias here but the self titled record has so many songs that are very different from what they had done previously. I think S/T is a masterpiece and my favorite songs are the ones that are NOT singles and they rarely to never play live. (Good Morning, Deathblow, Battle Axe, Needles and pins, and Moana.) whats weird is i find my self listening to this album more and more as time goes by. I mean I loved it from the second i heard it, and totally blew it out like with every deftones album, but for some reason this Cd seems to be more frequent than others like Adrenaline, SNW, or WP. I find my self listening to ST, ATF and DE more so than the others. I will always love this album, to me is has its place in time and many memories to go with it, and I saw them during this era and it was an absolutely amazing show. So there's my two cents and probably a little more.

ChannelZer0

It's actually my favorite album! The mood is what gets me!!
Sorrow

lostpilot

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

I feel like I'm sitting in a circle at a meeting but it's weird. ::) But it's my favorite. Yes, my favorite...always been since 2003. Cain, how are u coping with your problem thus far with your lack of good taste as far as Deftones records go? Are you being honest with your sponsor? With all of us?............. Can I go now?

Pushing you back but still you ain't goooooooooone!!!!!!

pony_01

S/T is why the reason they "Self Titled" the album. Deftones just declare their true music on this album. Not liking it at first, but it need time to grow.

Penicks

i think the simple/lazy writing of the album actually adds to it. praised to hell with a  perfect, clean, intricate record like white pony and then this dirty, angry, hazy fucker that rips your heart out and it doesn't give a shit comes out to blow it all to smithereens

someone once compared s/t to the fallout of white pony or something, it was a great post

Vesanic

Quote from: Penicks on Jun 08, 2012, 03:14 PM
i think the simple/lazy writing of the album actually adds to it.

+1

I mean, I can't imagine a song like WGTB being too complex, songwriting wise. This song is supposed to be pure bitterness, anger and rage. The fact the songwriting is simple actually fits, since the topic of the song is also very simple and straight to the point. And it is not TOO simple either, I mean how the guitar builds up is really great. It goes slowly up and up but not too fast, they let the whole thing builds itself during the whole song instead of dropping a bomb on the first verse and raping the whole effect in two seconds.

iceache

White Pony's my favorite. But there's just something that makes me love S/T every time I hear it.. minus lucky you and replace it with Lovers... and that's the perfect album for me. From the opening riff of Hexagram to the closing riff in Moana. Straight up heavy shit. Also, I think SNW is their shittiest. Even the band has to believe that lol.

deftjess

2003, someone goes here listen to this, it was Deftones S/T i had no idea who they were i just started listen to rock after years of rap/hip hop. Hexagram is the first song i ever heard of from Deftones. S/t will always be in my heart.

from_musings

from_musings

Quote from: Vesanic on Jun 08, 2012, 03:29 PM
I mean, I can't imagine a song like WGTB being too complex, songwriting wise. This song is supposed to be pure bitterness, anger and rage. The fact the songwriting is simple actually fits, since the topic of the song is also very simple and straight to the point. And it is not TOO simple either, I mean how the guitar builds up is really great. It goes slowly up and up but not too fast, they let the whole thing builds itself during the whole song instead of dropping a bomb on the first verse and raping the whole effect in two seconds.

true true. and don't forget about the bridge.. the wgtb bridge slays every bridge atf has,easily

Penicks

i think a more interesting thread would be about snw, which is my second favourite yet seems to be low on a lot of people's lists

from_musings

i think it can be difficult to make a "hate" thread with only negative opinions... people with love for that particular album will be there and defend it. in the same way as if you make a appreciation thread, people will be there and bash it.. you probably can dig up an old snw thread and read why people don't like it

Vesanic

Haha, dude, each topic of this board has probably ten copies of itself. We'll never be able to make people stop creating topics that already exist.