Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Original Artist Audio of Deftones Covers

Started by therealdaebat, Oct 10, 2012, 03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penicks

Quote from: slyartwork on Oct 11, 2012, 05:11 AM
A cover can never be better than the original, it just can be really really good.

i seriously don't get this logic

Diplo

For exemple, there is no cover of deftones better than the original.
No one can make a song exactly like the original artist do, music is not just good notes, there is something else, and this can only be make by the artist who have create the song.

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: Diplo on Oct 11, 2012, 12:07 PM
No one can make a song exactly like the original artist do, music is not just good notes, there is something else, and this can only be make by the artist who have create the song.
That is true most of the time but not every single time look at Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt" which is widely known as being better than the original,he made it better because he added the sad sincere feeling the original didn't have he totally made that song his im sure many don't know it's a cover or think NIN covered him.

slyartwork

Quote from: Penicks on Oct 11, 2012, 10:57 AM
A cover can never be better than the original, it just can be really really good.

Mm I guess it's an opinion. To me it's like saying you like a Mona Lisa remake better than the original painting...
DUTCH DEFTONES FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/dutchdeftones

DUTCH DEFTONES TUMBLR: http://dutchdeftones.tumblr.com

ARTWORK SITE: www.slyartwork.com

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: slyartwork on Oct 11, 2012, 12:32 PM

Mm I guess it's an opinion. To me it's like saying you like a Mona Lisa remake better than the original painting...
Yeah I get what your saying I guess a lot of it has to do with the order you hear them as well like with "All along the watchtower" and "the man who sold the world"  I heard Hendrix's and Nirvana's cover before the original and then the originals just didn't stack up in my opinion. Think its slightly different to the whole art thing as with the covers there aren't just exact copies the bands covering the song can change the whole mood of the song like with "Hurt" that song became really powerful because it was from the perspective of an old man who had lots of regrets.

daebat

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Oct 11, 2012, 12:15 PM
That is true most of the time but not every single time look at Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt" which is widely known as being better than the original,he made it better because he added the sad sincere feeling the original didn't have he totally made that song his im sure many don't know it's a cover or think NIN covered him.

Pshhh bs.  I remember hearing JC's version and thinking, this would sound so much better if I redid it.  Then I heard NIN version and it was exactly as I imagined it.  Music is subjective and covers are no different from any other music.  Some are good, some are bad.  Deftones are particularly hard to cover but they also do great covers themselves.

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: daebat on Oct 11, 2012, 12:42 PM

Pshhh bs.  I remember hearing JC's version and thinking, this would sound so much better if I redid it.  Then I heard NIN version and it was exactly as I imagined it.  Music is subjective and covers are no different from any other music.  Some are good, some are bad.  Deftones are particularly hard to cover but they also do great covers themselves.
That was my whole point he said the cover is never better Hurt was just an example of one that's widely regarded as better,Also if you did a cover wouldn't the vocals be muffled because it sounds like you have your head up your ass lol just kidding i am sure your'e as good as you think you are.

from_musings

not all paintings have mona lisa perfection though. granted some paintings that are regarded so-so by some ppl could be reworked by a more skilled painter, and make the outcome more desireable for some people

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: from_musings on Oct 11, 2012, 12:53 PM

not all paintings have mona lisa perfection though. granted some paintings that are regarded so-so by some ppl could be reworked by a more skilled painter, and make the outcome more desireable for some people
Very well put some songs aren't mona lisa's and some are

daebat

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Oct 11, 2012, 12:49 PM
Quote from: daebat on Oct 11, 2012, 12:42 PM

That was my whole point he said the cover is never better Hurt was just an example of one that's widely regarded as better,Also if you did a cover wouldn't the vocals be muffled because it sounds like you have your head up your ass lol just kidding i am sure your'e as good as you think you are.

LOL not to say I'd do it any justice... just saying in my mind I had the NIN version before I even heard it.  Talent and Vision are unfortunately two different things.