Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jciraheta

so this cant be like with the playstation that some guy in australia or new zeland , that is already 16 , can upload the new song ?

Vesanic

Why would you ask that? The song is not out yet is it?

jciraheta

no i was just saying that maybe some guy who work in music in australia o new zeland could recive the song today for us in america , but in his country will be tomorrow :p

sharinglungs

Quote from: jciraheta on Mar 15, 2016, 05:18 PM
no i was just saying that maybe some guy who work in music in australia o new zeland could recive the song today for us in america , but in his country will be tomorrow :p

no. They go by US PST time.

jciraheta

Capt Snow

Entombed

Quote from: jciraheta on Mar 15, 2016, 08:08 PM
and how about this   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

I like it about as much as I like Prayers/Triangles.
Tell the one about the man who dug holes so deep, he lost sight of his word.

Yoi Yes Kokan

Quote from: jciraheta on Mar 15, 2016, 08:08 PM
and how about this   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

wow you found my old hit, I was young when I did that, i can still sing it just the same though.

sooniletugo

I posted that interview & review as well as my attempt at an English translation (took me a few hours and its 4am now so hope you enjoy it!) here
http://www.sharinglungs.com/index.php?topic=16661.new#new

Some new info about Gore, including what Acid Hologram is about, as well as some chat about Chino's life.

Freedomsoldier17

Quote from: sooniletugo on Mar 16, 2016, 03:42 AM
I posted that interview & review as well as my attempt at an English translation (took me a few hours and its 4am now so hope you enjoy it!) here
http://www.sharinglungs.com/index.php?topic=16661.new#new

thanks dude

cvthedrv

gore the most poppy deftones album ever.

gwenudo

Was it like it seemed?...

ANattyRat

Oh my god, I love it. Heavy, awesome guitar, vocals quite different. Screams, singing, and a kind of shout-scream similar to Leathers or something. I like the effects (or production? Whatever) on the vocals, too, it blends nicely into the rest of the instruments, rather than what usually happens, which is the vocals sounding very on top of the instruments. Doesn't sound as polished-sounding as they usually sound, too. Oh, and the scream towards the end is killer.

Basically, an aggressive, heavy and generally magnificent song that I love 10x more than Prayers/Triangles. I'm going to love this album, based on the two songs and the reviews/comments listeners have made.

77years

Abe totally going crazy

wkcwkc

First reply on Sharing Lungs, long time fan and lurker.  Thanks everyone for putting in all the effort into good intel and such for Gore, I've been anxiously waiting like most for the KNY follow-up.

My feedback on what I have heard so far:

First, my acumen on production, engineering, mastering, chords, timing, etc. is practically non-existent, but both Prayers/Triangles and Doomed User were both mediocre to me, at first.  Let me explain. 

The previews for P/T that were being put out before the track was released seemed to overshadow the finished product.  In the same way that a badass movie trailer shows all the best sequences in the trailer, or a comedy movie trailer shows all the funny gags/jokes in the preview, and the rest movie is, more or less, mediocre.  I thought the mixing was a bit off in P/T on first listen.  Naturally though, I kept listening to the track on repeat.  The more I listened to P/T, especially on good speakers and in the car, with the volume cranked (who honestly wants to listen to Deftones quietly anyway), the nuances, intricacies, and layers of the song were well pronounced, and well deciphered.  I think P/T is a killer song, album opener, and was a fitting choice for the first single, as is plays to many of Deftones strengths but dabbles into some new sonics that I think set a good "thesis statement" for the album.

On Doomed User, when I first heard the live version, I felt similarly.  Pretty much everyone has drawn attention that Chino had an off night with the vocals, the crowd didn't seem into it, etc, but I really wanted to hear the studio version before I passed judgement.  I was really digging the riff and bass I heard in the live version.  Like many, I was up today at 6am EST and listened to the song first on my iPhone speakers, and my first thought was...Chino still sounds like his vocals are off.  Frankly, I thought SiriusXM mistakenly posted a higher quality rip of the live performance.  But, on the way to work this morning, I jammed it out on repeat in the car with the volume cranked, and as I listened to it more, I couldn't help but get sucked into it.  A lot of the complaints on here about not hearing the bass, Abe's bass drum, and some of the other intricacies of the song were erased.  The song fucking rocks, albeit taking a few listens to get there. 

I have read a lot on here and Reddit about Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan, comparing those to what has been heard so far on Gore.  Frankly, we are  not in a place yet to judge Gore, only predict.  Both D/E and KNY are awesome albums and two of my favorites.  If asked to predict, I foresee Gore being similar in it's experimentation to their Self-Titled album, which on first listen was my least favorite Deftones album.  That was, in my opinion, a very experimental album for Deftones, and I foresee Gore being similar in that regard.  The self-titled album has really grown on me, and while I still can't get into some of the songs on there, AND while I do not think it is their best whole album front to back (D/E and KNY), some of my all-time favorite Deftones songs are on that album - Hexagram, Needles and Pins, Minerva, Bloody Cape, Battle-axe.  But it took me so many listens of that album to get there.

I read a review of KNY not too long ago that sums up precisely how I feel about KNY, which is..."Deftones build on the success of Diamond Eyes by playing to their strengths, without altering their style."  I think that nails it.  KNY is one of my favorite albums from Deftones, but amidst all the comments of "it really wasn't outside of the box", I would agree with that.  I think it's the Deftones playing the best of what they play well, and it's damn good.

In contrast, the two tracks so far released from Gore make it clear that the Deftones want to try some new things, head down some new roads, and take new steps musically.  The release of Prayers/Triangles and Doomed User is clear evidence of that experimentation, and I am excited about it.  It shows how varied this album will likely be.  I want to hear the whole album as one before criticizing production value too much, but I think we will get some good stuff on April 8th.  Chino has been quoted numerous times leading up to Gore that they really wanted to go outside of the box, dissect the elements of each track, try new things, experiment, etc, and what we have heard so far is a clear indicator of that.  Personally, I think it's awesome that Deftones want to branch out, and they have shown an ability to really grow and expand without altering their identity.  That mindset, to me, is why Deftones have stood the test time of time, and it's the main reason that really (and probably many of you) really admire this band. 

Anyway, apologies for the long post, but I am really excited to hear the whole album in a few weeks and I am sure I will be jamming out hard to it.

Cheers!

HooiserBowhunter

Well Doomed User doesn't sound that far off from the live version for me. It is not a bad track at all. I am still holding out for something as incredible as Rosemary or Leathers.

beaverwithfishyshoes

i have a feeling its gonna suck.

LG95

Quote from: beaverwithfishyshoes on Mar 16, 2016, 02:42 PM
Why would you bother writing that?
I could float here forever

beaverwithfishyshoes

Quote from: LG95 on Mar 16, 2016, 03:40 PM

to have a laugh when you respond.

2MoreHours

Quote from: beaverwithfishyshoes on Mar 16, 2016, 04:18 PM
Quote from: LG95 on Mar 16, 2016, 03:40 PM

to have a laugh when you respond.

I thought it was very insightful.  At least we have the old albums to listen to that don't suck.