Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sooniletugo

In that recent French interview I posted though, the interviewer mentioned the influence of Cocteau Twins in Prayers/Triangles, and Chino was like "That band will influence me for eternity". I ought to check them out more, I'm not that familiar with them.

the7thsaga

Quote from: sooniletugo on Mar 19, 2016, 06:03 PM
In that recent French interview I posted though, the interviewer mentioned the influence of Cocteau Twins in Prayers/Triangles, and Chino was like "That band will influence me for eternity". I ought to check them out more, I'm not that familiar with them.

they're definitely an acquired taste

77years

Quote from: the7thsaga on Mar 19, 2016, 06:07 PM

they're definitely an acquired taste

Fuckn phenomenal

sooniletugo

Infact I looked them up and I have heard some of their songs. Chino has shared some of them on Spotify before, and obviously Wax & Wane. I really love the vocal melodies on the track Plain Tiger. Think I will listen to them more. Any particular stuff you would recommend?

77years

Quote from: sooniletugo on Mar 19, 2016, 06:23 PM
Infact I looked them up and I have heard some of their songs. Chino has shared some of them on Spotify before, and obviously Wax & Wane. I really love the vocal melodies on the track Plain Tiger. Think I will listen to them more. Any particular stuff you would recommend?

1984-1987. The EP with "Plain Tiger" is astounding especially when you consider that and the companion EP were originally just demos. Then you've got the Aikea Guinea EP which has nothing to do with Scandinavian furniture. And that's not even mentioning the incredible albums from that time period. All of it is SICK. And I'm sure Chino was listening

Freedomsoldier17

you can definitely hear the influence this had on P/T and maybe even leathers. the slower, melodic beginning and the more weighty sound drop

whitefur

Quote from: 77years on Mar 19, 2016, 05:31 PM
Prayers/Triangles vs Cocteau Twins' 1985 prime-timer "Rococo":

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JAmt6zN9vOk

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f0q_WzPsjhQ

I'm shocked how little the Cocteau Twins-Deftones connection is brought up since almost every vocal inflection she uses turns up in Chinostyle

This sounds so much like Romantic Dreams

77years

Xerces has a bunch of Moon & The Melodies influence to me

jaypayton

mostly a  new wave/romantic band with a chick singer.....mostly girls dig that band..so its no surprise chino worships them

cvthedrv

Quote from: jaypayton on Mar 19, 2016, 07:50 PM

mostly a  new wave/romantic band with a chick singer.....mostly girls dig that band..so its no surprise chino worships them

to be honest i cant see the influence.

77years

Quote from: jaypayton on Mar 19, 2016, 07:50 PM

Lol. I beg to differ but hey whatever floats your boat

defTHE1s

They even have a song named 'Smile' :O

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

Mr Blonde

Jaypayton, you're a jackass.  Everything you type is utter bullshit, and you must be a complete loser to spend so much time on a message board of band you don't like.

Let's see a list of the cool shit you listen to.  You have such superior taste in music, so help us all out

cvthedrv

Quote from: Mr Blonde on Mar 19, 2016, 11:56 PM
Jaypayton, you're a jackass.  Everything you type is utter bullshit, and you must be a complete loser to spend so much time on a message board of band you don't like.

Let's see a list of the cool shit you listen to.  You have such superior taste in music, so help us all out

dude relax your clit.

Freedomsoldier17

his avs hair isn't even blonde wtf

NYRexall

I finally caved and listened to P/T ahead of the album

Fucking incredible. If this was a track from the 'Eros' sessions, everyone would be calling it a Deftones watershed. FACT.

NYRexall

Quote from: 77years on Mar 19, 2016, 05:31 PM
Prayers/Triangles vs Cocteau Twins' 1985 prime-timer "Rococo":

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JAmt6zN9vOk

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f0q_WzPsjhQ

I'm shocked how little the Cocteau Twins-Deftones connection is brought up since almost every vocal inflection she uses turns up in Chinostyle

Songs sound nothing like one another

Some of you have entirely too much time on your hands.

Inkblades

Yeah man, the more I listen to P/T, the more I love it. Really beautiful and unique song.

jaypayton

Quote from: NYRexall on Mar 20, 2016, 07:24 AM

Fucking incredible. If this was a track from the 'Eros' sessions, everyone would be calling it a Deftones watershed. FACT.

man you are easily satisfied..you must think crosses is a masterpiece

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: jaypayton on Mar 20, 2016, 08:14 PM
Quote from: NYRexall on Mar 20, 2016, 07:24 AM

man you are easily satisfied..you must think crosses is a masterpiece

I wouldn't call Crosses a "masterpiece," but I do find it very enjoyable.

Chino himself considers that Crosses album to be his favorite thing he's ever put out.

Personally, I prefer Palms to Crosses, when it comes to his sideprojects.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem