Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LG95

Drew Beringer ‏@drewberinger  4h4 hours ago
the new deftones LP is very interesting - super chill vibes combined with the necessary heaviness - hard to compare it to any previous work

the title track will make you mosh wherever you are as well

fuck man the 2nd half of Gore is massive - (L)MIRL/Gore/Phantom Bride/Rubicon is one of the band's best stretches of songs ever

and while I really like Prayers/Triangles it's easily the "worst" song on Gore
I could float here forever

N0S3BLEED976

Quote from: phil for real on Mar 30, 2016, 11:00 PM
That translation was horrid.  No offense to you.  I mean the man said Self Titled and Diamond Eyes were the weakest Deftones albums so I can't even respect him.  Two of my top three.  Still a good review.  Nothing but good reviews so far.  Love to hear they get moodier on the second part of the album.  I need this right now!  LEAK

I'll try and edit it to make it more understandable

downtownpony

garbage review. Thanks for sharing though

m1nusblindfoLd

Quote from: LG95 on Mar 30, 2016, 11:01 PM
the new deftones LP is very interesting - super chill vibes combined with the necessary heaviness - hard to compare it to any previous work

the title track will make you mosh wherever you are as well

fuck man the 2nd half of Gore is massive - (L)MIRL/Gore/Phantom Bride/Rubicon is one of the band's best stretches of songs ever

and while I really like Prayers/Triangles it's easily the "worst" song on Gore

Nice

77years

Quoteall ladders and black cats are of course ignored for purposes of impartiality.

Haha

77years

Interesting that he picked up on "Gore" being almost "Eros" backwards

Reichward

2MoreHours

2 gore hours

snw9

Quote from: Reichward on Mar 30, 2016, 11:10 PM

soon

I expect this figure to double or maybe triple once there is a leak or when the album is out.
Code: [Select]

phil for real

The PRP just put up a review of Gore.  About to read now.

kleptoned

Quote from: phil for real on Mar 30, 2016, 11:18 PM
Here

kleptoned

The road to the release of Deftones' eighth full-length album "Gore" has been a rocky one as far as the press is concerned. There were missed release dates thanks to issues with mixing. Then the details for the album were leaked months in advance thanks to a journalist's screencap, forcing the band to readjust their rollout strategy. And of course, there was the elephant in the room: the negative comments guitarist Stephen Carpenter made about his initial lack of interest in taking part in the writing sessions.

A solid listen to "Gore" is all it takes to assure you that Carpenter did indeed show up on the effort. His crushing input populates a number of the included songs, and not just here and there. He may be somewhat underutilized to a small degree, but he certainly makes his presence felt. What stands out most about "Gore" though isn't his aggression or frontman Chino Moreno's melancholic shades of new wave and sparkling alt rock. No, it's the spacious room to breathe and fine attention paid to the smaller details in each song.

For "Gore" the band decided to write at their own pace, getting together numerous times over the period of a few months to put the effort together. You can tell there was no looming deadline or clock ticking on studio time. Sure they may have traded some parts back and forth via a Dropbox or the like, but refreshingly you can feel that these songs were worked on in a room together. It's this unencumbered style of songwriting and freedom to analyze and refine things over time that makes up the connective tissue of this release.

Because on "Gore" the Deftones feel more like an actual band than they have in years. A scrappier, almost happier version of themselves, flush with gnarled guitars, emotional outbursts and intricate details. No one element or idea pervades the album. It's a diverse collection of songs, that often at their core, sound like a mutated strain of 90's space rock that somehow got mixed up with chunky modern metal.

There's gnawing guitar parts, big looming riffs, a deeper oomph thanks to Sergio Vega's utilization of a Bass VI and some understated—yet no less crucial—work by drummer Abe Cunningham and sampler/programmer Frank Delgado. Indeed it's the little things that shine brightest this time out, be it the hushed drumming techniques Cunningham opens "Hearts/Wires" with, the guitar squeals that pop up in "Xenon" or Delgado's ever jittering ambiance regularly hovering just out of reach.

There's even times, such as on album highlight "Rubicon", where the band can feel like a busier, more embittered version of Failure. It's all Deftones to be sure, but more confident and substantial. Thanks to the wealth of organic interplay, it doesn't feel Frankensteined together like so many other albums these days.

So much of "Gore" has a nervous pulsing energy. Be it spacey and majestic or gleefully destructive, the band have delivered a scratchy guitar-filled opus that captures the better traits of their past few albums and adds a humbling amount of gravity and excitement. They're trying out new things and the results are interesting and heady. From obtuse ethereal riffs to Vega's drifting bass on "Phantom Bride" sounding like he took cliff notes from Glassjaw's "Coloring Book".

That track in particular also features a soaring guest appearance from Alice In Chains' Jerry Cantrell, who emerges mid-song, cutting through the ethereal haze with some tastefully soulful licks that could have sprung out of the fingers of Satriani or Vai. What's interesting in particular about his cameo isn't just the sense of levity and contrast it brings to the track. It's that it almost goes to war against Carpenter's sinister chug that comes like an approaching thunderstorm near the end.

As with any Deftones release, "Gore" isn't an album that you'll easily digest. It's something you'll likely be dissecting and finding new puzzle pieces for with each listen for weeks to come. A brave display of just how far this band have come since their nu metal days and definitive proof that the creative flame they share is still burning bright.

kitesvera

beat me to it

Reichward

Quote"Gore" isn't an album that you'll easily digest. It's something you'll likely be dissecting and finding new puzzle pieces for with each listen for weeks to come.

Goog good. Because I've got a FUCKING APPETITE

phil for real

I need this album now!  Come on!

77years

Astounding review

I don't think I can take much more of this

Jerry_Curls

Quote from: phil for real on Mar 30, 2016, 11:18 PM

Nice review. Well writen, concise, and no mention of Chi*. Makes me excited to listen to this album from beginning to end.

*it seems like every article has to mention his death. It was a breath of fresh air to read a review that talked about just the album.
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

pinata89

Hell yeah!  Failure getting a mention in that interview, I like!

If you guys haven't heard of Failure, you need to go check their shit out asap.  Best band you've never heard of.

77years

Quote from: pinata89 on Mar 30, 2016, 11:28 PM
Hell yeah!  Failure getting a mention in that interview, I like!

If you guys haven't heard of Failure, you need to go check their shit out asap.  Best band you've never heard of.

I thought that was an on-point comparison. Always thought parts of S/T were Fantastic Planet on roids

RavinVsFlud

Quote from: kleptoned on Mar 30, 2016, 11:21 PM

sound like a mutated strain of 90's space rock that somehow got mixed up with chunky modern metal

Sold. Gimme gimme gimme