Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ANattyRat

Thought I'd do a track-by-track post of my initial thoughts and feelings on the new album. Sorry if it's entirely unwanted, haha, but I love Deftones, I love the album and I love being able to talk about it on this forum.

Prayers/Triangles: Already said. Nice, typical Deftones, weakest (but still good) song on the album.

Acid Hologram: Vocal melody's interesting. Wasn't a song I was overly-impressed by, one of the weakest, until a few more listens, then I could hear the depth of it. Frank is great on this song, and lyrically it reminds me a LOT of Entombed. Very image-heavy but repetitive lyrics, which I think put me off the song initially, but now I enjoy.

Doomed User: Heavy, raw, awesome.

Geometric Headdress: Lyrics (what I can make out) are really intriguing, some really great lines. Haven't listened to Gauze in a while, but it reminds me of Gauze a bit, the way the rhymed words kind of carry on throughout the whole song in the same patterns. Vocally, it switches from beautiful singing to screaming, similar screaming to Doomed User, and the switch in vocals and the music transition flawlessly. It doesn't feel disjointed or out of place, it happens so perfectly.

Hearts/Wires: The intro was indeed the intro to this song. I'm in love with it, very mysterious-sounding. There are some really amazing, yet simple, guitar parts. Lyrically, it seems sad and reflective, but musically it switches moods so much, sometimes sounding uplifting, sometimes kind of downcast. Really an incredible song, one of my favourites.

Pittura Infamante: That's the weirdest opening music for a Deftones song ever, that was...surreal. When the guitar (I don't know anything about guitars, but I'm guessing the second guitar that comes in is Stef's?) comes in, it has such a heavy but catchy feel to it, a lot of groove.

Xenon: I really love the drums on this, and the guitars are so mesmerizing. Is that Frank doing his effects I can hear? Adds a beautiful layer to the chorus, but I don't know how I feel about the rest of the chorus. Seems weirdly uplifting in a song that doesn't capture that feel during the rest of it.

(L)MIRL: The intro and the first verse are very dark and sinister. Definitely agree with the review(s) that said it was like the soundtrack to a psychological thriller. Probably the most sinister-sounding they've ever been. Dark, but not in a painfully-raw, 'Deathblow' or 'Mascara' kind of way. But then the music changes and gets uplifting, happy-sounding almost, which is such a drastic switch in mood that I don't really like it. The "Hey" reminds me of country music for some reason, haha (so sorry).

Gore: Heavy stuff, the final screams are absolutely glorious. Weirdly long outro though.

Phantom Bride: This song threw me off the most, and I don't even know why, it just sounds so unlike any other song they've done, in my opinion. Which is stupid, because they've done songs like Lovers, Lucky You, etc. So I don't know what I mean. Sounds kind of like a ballad, but a Deftones one, and very sad. The solo comes in flawlessly, it doesn't even sound surprising in a Deftones song, it just fits so well. 'Melancholy' is the best word I can use for this song.

Rubicon: Musically heavier than I was expecting, and I was kind of expecting something slow, for some reason. The "Take me in" (if that's what he says) part is so beautiful. This is the first time I've genuinely cared about song order on an album, but it fits so well on this album as a closer, it kind of sounds like a warm goodbye, you know? Also, confirmation that greGORErio was legit, since he got the 'And the crowd goes wild' part right.

RaptureWS

Chino tweeted "sharing leaks.....why is there no bandit emoji?" and then has a picture of a baby bottle instead.
When people whisper it makes her nervous.

DFTNSHXGRM

But did he read about all of the great things we're saying about the album??

Moz

I remain of the opinion that Rubicon is about the tones being in a band together, they cannot face the crowd alone but together and enjoy the time they have.

Then again chino isnt a litteral lyricist.

Jville808

Damn, I was gone for the weekend and this page jumped 200 pages?!?! I don't even need to read anything, anybody kind enough to send me a PM? I checked Newalbumreleases on Feedly and saw a 320kbps version, but when I clicked the link, the page doesn't even exist. That's a first...usually, if anything, links just get taken down. So, PM? Anyone? Purdy pleeeeeease?!?

NYRexall

Quote from: play on Apr 04, 2016, 05:08 AM
Does anyone have a better quality 320 kps version?

Or is everyone still listening to the vinyl rip?

Does this person ever contribute anything, or do they just grovel for rips every post?

I don't think I've ever seen him add to any discussion in my time here, ever..

NYRexall

Quote from: DFTNSHXGRM on Apr 04, 2016, 05:26 AM
LULA DIVINIA all the way

An epic album in its own right, indeed

ANattyRat

Quote from: Jville808 on Apr 04, 2016, 07:10 AM
Damn, I was gone for the weekend and this page jumped 200 pages?!?! I don't even need to read anything, anybody kind enough to send me a PM? I checked Newalbumreleases on Feedly and saw a 320kbps version, but when I clicked the link, the page doesn't even exist. That's a first...usually, if anything, links just get taken down. So, PM? Anyone? Purdy pleeeeeease?!?

Nope, vinyl rip only.

NYRexall

Quote from: Inkblades on Apr 04, 2016, 06:33 AM
Chino's melodies were really reminding me of Weiland on a couple tracks. Dunno why.

Any particular STP songs that came to mind? I'm legit curious here..

rageman02uk

Geometric Clicked with me just earlier, love it. Those groove parts remind me of Mars Volta - Deloused-Era

NYRexall

Quote from: StaminaDaddy on Apr 04, 2016, 06:43 AM
true music lovers are waiting until the 8th

I was going to ask...am I the only one still out there who hasn't heard a thing from this album yet?

I'm glad I held out; so many of you are expressing how this album is meant to be heard in high quality as a whole, and not from the shitty low quality rip that's been floating around. I'm only going to love this album that much more when it finally gets here, based on the overwhelmingly positive reception its gotten here in the last 24 hours.

The next phase is when the HQ leak hits the net and you all start going batshit over how much better the songs sound in that context. Talk about different layers to an album run-up...Friday morning that sun is going to rise so much more vibrant than the days I remember before it  :D

ominousnimbus

Quote from: NYRexall on Apr 04, 2016, 07:20 AM
Quote from: Inkblades on Apr 04, 2016, 06:33 AM
Chino's melodies were really reminding me of Weiland on a couple tracks. Dunno why.

Any particular STP songs that came to mind? I'm legit curious here..
I actually thought of STP just a bit on my first or second listen. SP and Failure are definitely clearer influences, but it's not an outrageous idea. "Xenon," particularly the intro, made me think of No. 4 ("Down" or "No Way Out"). For me, any talk of similarities would relate more to No. 4 and possibly Shangri-La than their more popular early-mid 90s stuff.

I think Deftones are a better band with a better catalog than STP, but I wouldn't take it as an affront just to mention their name.

neirda

I don't know if it's been said, but Chino uses more falsetto in the songs (a lot of them actually). I liked his vocals in the past because he NEVER used this technique. But it's alright I don't this it impacts the beauty of his lines.

What do you think guys?

asperity0108

First post here, although I've been actively read many of these threads for quite sometime.  It's awesome to see a community like this sharing about the greatest band out there.  I've been an avid deftones fan for a tad over 20 years.  I still remember my first exposure being "7 Words" music video late night on MTV (can you imagine that?), along with picking up ATF on its initial release date (before file sharing).  We actually had to wait for the actual release date :).  Every deftones album is special in its own way, some taking more time than others to fully grasp the greatness bestowed on us.  Self-Titled is an example of this, and even though many of you here cite this as your favorite, I bet you had mixed feelings initially in '03.  Hell, "Romantic Dreams" has become one of my favorite tracks both from KNY and their entire catalog. But initially, not so much.
Even though I have only listened to Gore 3 times through and am now wAiting until Friday to really absorb it in, I initially feel the same way with it as the "growers" previously mentioned.  First off, I still do not think "Prayers/Triangles" is a "true deftones opener" like "Hexagram", "My Own Summer", "Bored", and even "Swerve City".  They have always had a strong first track Imo.  I am not saying P/T isn't a good track.  It's actually still one of my favorites thus far.  It would have just been a better 2nd song.  I think this has to do with cutting out the originally intended first track ("Crest" if I am not mistaken). I feel this could have drastically changed the first half of the listening experience of Gore.
Secondly, it seems at times that some songs off Gore seem "pieced together" more so than previous releases. For example, Acid Hologram was a tough listen at first, but after a few listens, it really grew on me (it also has a 3rd track feel as well).
Gore will take a bit to fully digest and that is exactly the kind of album i wanted from deftones.  "HeArts/Wires" has been the standout for me personally thus far. I am glad it was a low quality rip and I look forward to hearing all the nuances come Friday that make deftones who they are.  Frank and Sergio are really sticking out to me so far.
Finally, after reading through 350 pages in this thread, I find it comical, and a tad annoying, how first we get two songs, and people want more.  So then comes three more songs, and then the full album is needed.  The full album comes and people ask for better quality. And then for the lyrics. Can some of you just be satisfied until 5 days from now!?
I apologize for the long message but had a bit to say after 350 pages of posts ;)

Moz

After 6 full listens almost every song clicks with me. Such beauty.

Jville808

Quote from: ANattyRat on Apr 04, 2016, 07:19 AM
Quote from: Jville808 on Apr 04, 2016, 07:10 AM

Nope, vinyl rip only.

any working links to that? I found that Newalbumreleases had another page with what's probably the vinyl rip based on the comments, but of course the links are dead  :'(

DFTNSHXGRM

Am I the only one who completely adores this album, but can't quite figure out just how much I love it yet?!

from_musings

Quote from: asperity0108 on Apr 04, 2016, 07:38 AM
Finally, after reading through 350 pages in this thread, I find it comical, and a tad annoying, how first we get two songs, and people want more.  So then comes three more songs, and then the full album is needed.  The full album comes and people ask for better quality. And then for the lyrics. Can some of you just be satisfied until 5 days from now!?
I apologize for the long message but had a bit to say after 350 pages of posts ;)

i agree that is comical.

on another note, xenon's beginning/main riff sounds, in my ears, very much like kyuss, qotsa. that's not a bad thing per se but as a whole it's definately a filler song for me

laurapalmer

Just listened to the whole thing for the first time. Initial reactions are overrated but damn, so many great moments

punkflop01

Quote from: NYRexall on Apr 04, 2016, 07:27 AM
Quote from: StaminaDaddy on Apr 04, 2016, 06:43 AM
true music lovers are waiting until the 8th

I was going to ask...am I the only one still out there who hasn't heard a thing from this album yet?

I'm glad I held out; so many of you are expressing how this album is meant to be heard in high quality as a whole, and not from the shitty low quality rip that's been floating around. I'm only going to love this album that much more when it finally gets here, based on the overwhelmingly positive reception its gotten here in the last 24 hours.

The next phase is when the HQ leak hits the net and you all start going batshit over how much better the songs sound in that context. Talk about different layers to an album run-up...Friday morning that sun is going to rise so much more vibrant than the days I remember before it  :D

Only heard Prayers/Triangles so far! And we have a long weekend this weekend in India...so Friday, Saturday, Sunday are going to be oh so awesome listening to the entire album. And agreed...everyone's reactions here have got me more excited than I was after hearing P/T.