Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phil for real

I must say the song Gore is Glassjaw as fuck haha

punkflop01

ANattyRat

So, something interesting has happened. (L)MIRL was a song I was disappointed with because it didn't live up to this darkness I was expecting. Then I listened to a few times and realised it was indeed a dark and sinister song, and it was just one part I didn't like. And now, despite it not being one of my favourites, it's actually the one I'm most drawn to listening to on repeat. That's odd. So I guess it's a very addictive song.

gwenudo

Quote from: ANattyRat on Apr 05, 2016, 12:53 PM
So, something interesting has happened. (L)MIRL was a song I was disappointed with because it didn't live up to this darkness I was expecting. Then I listened to a few times and realised it was indeed a dark and sinister song, and it was just one part I didn't like. And now, despite it not being one of my favourites, it's actually the one I'm most drawn to listening to on repeat. That's odd. So I guess it's a very addictive song.
The mood transition is weird at first but if you let it be what it is, its a dark song, dont let the transition fool you
Was it like it seemed?...

ANattyRat

Quote from: punkflop01 on Apr 05, 2016, 12:50 PM
http://www.alternativenation.net/review-deftones-gore/

Wow, that's a hell of a review. All these reviews have been crazy good, it's unlike anything I've seen for a long time, that's pretty awesome.

Quote from: gwenudo on Apr 05, 2016, 12:56 PM
Quote from: ANattyRat on Apr 05, 2016, 12:53 PM
The mood transition is weird at first but if you let it be what it is, its a dark song, dont let the transition fool you

You were right, dude, you told me so and I refused to listen, but I was wrong. I still don't like the "I sail on these waves, hey!" part though, it just feels too out of place, but the rest makes up for it.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Apr 05, 2016, 04:39 AM
LOL @ KNY not expanding their sound. There were so many things that they did on that album that they had never done before.

If you don't like the album that's fine. But at least come up with something that makes sense for why you don't like it.

I do not believe that KNY greatly expanded the sound previously established on DE. That doesn't mean nothing new at all was done. Just like in my explanation, ATF was the same way. Of course it was different, but not greatly. KNY was merely an extension of DE.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

punkflop01

It's strange but after listening to their albums back to back this week, I feel like instead of KNY and DE being sister albums as Chino has been saying in a lot of the interviews, DE and SNW actually seem to go together more.

ghettovaquero

Geometric headdress is my favorite song on the album. I absolutely love the "as the words draw you in" fuck so good

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Forsaken

Anybody else get a 30 Seconds to Mars The Kill vibe when listening to Phanom Bride at all or is it just me? Loving this whole album by the way. Only 2 songs in not crazy about and I'm sure they will grow on me later.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: punkflop01 on Apr 05, 2016, 01:27 PM
It's strange but after listening to their albums back to back this week, I feel like instead of KNY and DE being sister albums as Chino has been saying in a lot of the interviews, DE and SNW actually seem to go together more.

This I don't see at all. I see almost no connection between SNW and DE. KNY, however, I believe to be the natural evolution of the DE sound.

And apparently Chino agrees with me, despite all the "LOLs" from this guy. Besides, if what he got out of my description of the similarities between Chi and Sergio era Deftones was that I "don't like" KNY, he must have some severe comprehension deficiencies.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

WithoutMyJade

I've been keeping up with the overwhelmingly positive reviews, Impressions and emotional outbursts, and I have to say, making the decision to not dive into the leak is SUCH a double edged sword. I so badly want to hear this because of all the positivity that you guys have thrown down for it, but I know I want to hear it at its highest quality and in the most ideal setting. For the last 6 albums, I have always gathered a group of friends and listened to it together. Often times we make a pact to not listen to the leak and hold steady, but it crumbles based on our eagerness to hear something as awesome as the prospect of new Deftones music. Thank goodness this leaked so close to the actual release date, because I feel like I can keep my composure for the next 4 days. Anything longer, I'm screwed, lol.

To those of you who have enjoyed this, which seems to be quite a few of you, would there be any advice you would give to somebody listening to it for the first time on the release date? Have all of you listened to it by yourselves or has anyone here listened to it amongst of grouping of friends when you first heard it? I'm intending to have my first listen be within a sort of "listening party", where a few buddies of mine, who have been following Deftones as long as I have, can gather and listen and absorb each and every little nuance track by track. Are there any opinions as to whether or not this might be detrimental to the experience? Should it first be experienced alone and then bring in others? I know the choice is to each his/her own, but you guys seem like you have dug in to the album quite deeply, so if you were in my position , how would you approach this?

Sorry for the lengthy post. Since I havent been able to bring myself to listen to it yet, the best I can do is interact with those who have. Haha
Oz... if you come within 25 miles of my house, I will back a car over your head 75 times.

ghettovaquero

Quote from: Forsaken on Apr 05, 2016, 01:37 PM
Anybody else get a 30 Seconds to Mars The Kill vibe when listening to Phanom Bride at all or is it just me? Loving this whole album by the way. Only 2 songs in not crazy about and I'm sure they will grow on me later.
Which 2

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Vesanic

Quote from: phil for real on Apr 05, 2016, 12:20 PM

That's not exactly false!

Any news on that HQ rip?

gwenudo

Quote from: WithoutMyJade on Apr 05, 2016, 01:39 PM
I've been keeping up with the overwhelmingly positive reviews, Impressions and emotional outbursts, and I have to say, making the decision to not dive into the leak is SUCH a double edged sword. I so badly want to hear this because of all the positivity that you guys have thrown down for it, but I know I want to hear it at its highest quality and in the most ideal setting. For the last 6 albums, I have always gathered a group of friends and listened to it together. Often times we make a pact to not listen to the leak and hold steady, but it crumbles based on our eagerness to hear something as awesome as the prospect of new Deftones music. Thank goodness this leaked so close to the actual release date, because I feel like I can keep my composure for the next 4 days. Anything longer, I'm screwed, lol.

To those of you who have enjoyed this, which seems to be quite a few of you, would there be any advice you would give to somebody listening to it for the first time on the release date? Have all of you listened to it by yourselves or has anyone here listened to it amongst of grouping of friends when you first heard it? I'm intending to have my first listen be within a sort of "listening party", where a few buddies of mine, who have been following Deftones as long as I have, can gather and listen and absorb each and every little nuance track by track. Are there any opinions as to whether or not this might be detrimental to the experience? Should it first be experienced alone and then bring in others? I know the choice is to each his/her own, but you guys seem like you have dug in to the album quite deeply, so if you were in my position , how would you approach this?

Sorry for the lengthy post. Since I havent been able to bring myself to listen to it yet, the best I can do is interact with those who have. Haha
Do this; since you want to hear the album to its fullest potential, you wont get that listening to it from speakers with your buds. A decent option would be get your buds together and everyone brings their own headphones and when yall are ready, press play at the same time, if you dont care about the sound quality, put that shit on speakers and rock on. Also words of advice for this album, keep yourself open minded about the album, there will be a couple that throw you off guard (especially geo) but if youre open minded and love music, youll fall in love instantly.

glassJAw78

Quote from: MrVesanique on Apr 05, 2016, 01:42 PM

Any news on that HQ rip?
I'm glassJAw as fuck.

gwenudo

Quote from: MrVesanique on Apr 05, 2016, 01:42 PM

Any news on that HQ rip?
No but we have Target stores being assholes putting the album on shelves but not buyable.

77years

I want to organize a clothing optional New Orleans listening party

beaverwithfishyshoes

Quote from: WithoutMyJade on Apr 05, 2016, 01:39 PM
intending to have my first listen be within a sort of "listening party"

wouldnt. a rather hard record to get into.

glassJAw78

http://www.alternativenation.net/review-deftones-gore/

Another stellar review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

punkflop01

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Apr 05, 2016, 01:39 PM
Quote from: punkflop01 on Apr 05, 2016, 01:27 PM

This I don't see at all. I see almost no connection between SNW and DE. KNY, however, I believe to be the natural evolution of the DE sound.

And apparently Chino agrees with me, despite all the "LOLs" from this guy. Besides, if what he got out of my description of the similarities between Chi and Sergio era Deftones was that I "don't like" KNY, he must have some severe comprehension deficiencies.

Yeah I figured I might be alone on this one but somehow today it just kind of clicked for me that they both kind of go together.