Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moz

Fave moment of the album isnt even a debate: when after the chorus on Acid Hologram the sound goes dark and the voice of chino is all monster-like. Reminds me of ATF and WP

Back from my snowboard trip btw. Hi all! Loved listening to the high quality record (and the itunes version of the album collection!!)

Inkblades

I'm so fucking tempted to put up up a fake link that says "LEAKED DWARF DICKS" that would lead to a picture of a naked midget, but I'll let you guys be.

from_musings

best moment on the record: phantom bride at 3:50. when there's nothing but a solo guitar soundng it's played backwards (don't know if it's some kind of volume swell or something) and when stef joins in and those 3 backward sounding notes are playing back and forth in a slow tempo
to stef's doomey very effectve simple tones.that'friggin awesome. best moment.

sooniletugo

Quote from: Moz on Apr 10, 2016, 07:11 AM
Fave moment of the album isnt even a debate: when after the chorus on Acid Hologram the sound goes dark and the voice of chino is all monster-like. Reminds me of ATF and WP

Back from my snowboard trip btw. Hi all! Loved listening to the high quality record (and the itunes version of the album collection!!)
What's up dude. Where were you Snowboarding? I fucking love that moment in Acid Hologram too. One of the best moments on the album for me is when that happens toward the end and then it goes almost completely silent apart from some sp00ky sounds Frank plays, then you hear that tapping then Chino finally comes back in with "in TIME..." it's so haunting and badass. Awesome chorus, stuck in my head so much.

from_musings

Quote from: Moz on Apr 10, 2016, 07:11 AM

That is a good moment on a good song. chino sound a little lhabia there combined with "soon i let you go" in feit part played 1/10 the speed or something

sooniletugo

"soon I let you go" is a killer part

sooniletugo

Geometric Headdress is my temptress. Fucking awesome song with great lyrics. The verse is SO damn cool.

from_musings

Quote from: pinata89 on Apr 09, 2016, 05:08 PM
Rubicon just has a unique finality to it. It's placement as the last track is what makes it an impactful song, in my opinion. Just hearing the album end that way was really exciting for me.

Rubicon's not only a good song, i think it definately has closer feel to it. it feels like the song's over at the end, but then that extra part at 4:25 kicks in and says "it's over,but the show must go on" don't know how esle to put it. I especially like that ending.
Overall the song kind of reminds me of quicksands "how soon is now" (smiths cover) in mood,the uplifting feeling without being straight up happy

from_musings

Quote from: sooniletugo on Apr 10, 2016, 10:31 AM
Geometric Headdress is my temptress. Fucking awesome song with great lyrics. The verse is SO damn cool.

love that song, it's awesome.many good songs on gore..best album since s/t i dare to say.

Pittura,xenon lmirl is a skippable trio for me, in the same way RX Queen,Street Carp,Teenager is one on wp

from_musings

Quote from: Cullision on Apr 09, 2016, 03:40 AM
Lmirl could have been so good, falls apart completely for me when it switches tone.

this. collapse

sooniletugo

LMIRL just gets better and better to me. Love the chorus and that last screamed part.

CarloDefDonno

Quote from: sooniletugo on Apr 10, 2016, 10:40 AM
LMIRL just gets better and better to me. Love the chorus and that last screamed part.
I think the last screaming part is one of the most intense ones of Gore.

Reichward

About LMIRL, I know that the dark, moody beginning is very catchy, but I fail to see how the song could have evolved differently. It sures changes a lot in five minutes, but to me it just flows naturally. I don't think it could have been any different. I quite like it, it's got this "emotionally unstable" feel to it that I enjoy. Definitely a unique track.

Now about Rubicon, I have to join the people saying that the track isn't as grandiose as some people say. I don't dislike it, I think it's a good song and that it will be insane played live, but something just disturbs me with it on the record. Too noisy. To some it can be appealing, but to me it falls behind most other songs on the record. Good but not top tier.

I really, really like the album at the moment. My favorite picks are Acid Hologram, Gore and Hearts/Wires. Also very glad to see that it's enjoyed by people who couldn't bring themselves to like DE or KNY.

LG95

Quote from: SMLiberator on Apr 10, 2016, 04:09 AM
On the topic of vocals, does anyone know whether Chino uses any sort of pitch correction? I mean, we all know he struggles with keeping notes in tune live when he's jumping around, especially when he assumes the shape of MegaChino. But then again, you have Team Sleep's Woodstock Sessions and he sounds perfect there.

I'm asking this because I'm getting the impression there are some notes he sings throughout Gore that sound ever-so-slightly out of tune, such as the first "you" in Phantom Bride, where he sounds a little flatter and the "on top of the crux" part in Pittura where he sounds slightly sharper. However, I also get the impression he used auto-tuning in SNW, the clearest example being the really high "SUCK you in" in Cherry Waves.

I do not know if I have a point. Maybe he used auto-tune in SNW but not in Gore.
I used to think he used autotune on the "SUCK you in" but then I saw a live video of him nailing it so I think it might just be some vocal effect.

On the whole, I think he just has to keep his voice healthy in the studio and obviously has to concentrate. In a live setting I get the impression he's not massively bothered about being perfect.
I could float here forever

alligator

I gave Pittura Infamante another opportunity and I actually kind of enjoy it in comparisson with the first timem, especially Chino's work for the song. I still hate the intro, when Hearts/Wires is about to end I just turn down the volume just for that part lol.

Geometric Headdress is still my favorite track, it will be in my top 10 of all time, for sure.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: 2MoreHours on Apr 10, 2016, 04:44 AM
I just saw this after my last post.  All this is so creepy to me and freaking me out.  I literally just went through every lyric of every song and it seemed like all of it had some kind of demonic/satanic theme.

You're right!  Wow!  Now I like Gore even more!  Hail Dark Lord Satan!
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

jciraheta

to be honest my opinion about the whole albul theme is :  DEAD , it seems that chino is tryingt to tell that  weather you belive and god , devir or waever we are jous making a journey that everydad i s getting shorter, cloresr to the finish

that my impression but i haven read all the lyrics tho

E-Money

Phantom Bride is so perfect. What a beautiful song. I hope they make an edit and release it as a single.. And hope they play it live. Skip the solo live I don't care... PB and Rubicon need to be played live 😳

chick de la lynch

Quote from: sooniletugo on Apr 10, 2016, 10:40 AM

Initially I didn't really pay much attention to this song the first couple of listens. I'm getting to the stage of paying attention to the lyrics in my listens and this one stabbed me in the heart because it really hit home in regards to my personal life. One of the few Deftones songs that have actually made me cry.

This whole album in general seems to just be currently coinciding with my life right now. In a bittersweet way, this album came out at the perfect time for me.

ANattyRat

Quote from: E-Money on Apr 10, 2016, 04:50 PM
Phantom Bride is so perfect. What a beautiful song. I hope they make an edit and release it as a single.. And hope they play it live. Skip the solo live I don't care... PB and Rubicon need to be played live 😳

Yep. Maybe Stef will surprise us all one day and play it just as proof that he can play a solo, haha. And then never again. But also (L)MIRL, they need to play that. Hell, there are so many songs on this album that deserve to be played live.