Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sooniletugo

Quote from: Reichward on Apr 11, 2016, 02:53 PM
I like the idea that it's the occult. As always it's vague and subjective with Deftones, but Gore and Rubicon could be about joining a cult, even Acid Hologram can be interpreted as being in awe in front of a cult leader/an idol.

Sounds like he's singing about being under the spell of a woman, with Pittura being a proclamation of the passion and devotion he feels to her. She's like a powerful goddess. Very beautiful but dangerous, and over time reveals her dark side. Acid Hologram is about that -she smothers him in shapes (makes him feel everything is good, puts him under a spell) then "in time, your light will fade, your disguise will shift" etc. And geometric headdress too - every guy is sucked in by her because she's so sexy but she lays them all to waste. "Blank featured vile creatures collapse at your angles". So many good lines in that song. It could also be a metaphor for drugs or another addiction like that. They appear very attractive and make you feel good but they start to show dark side and leave you helpless in the end.

Phantom Bride seems to be singing about someone who's living a reclusive life avoiding new people and experiences after being hurt before, and Rubicon continues that but is like "go out there and live, you feel like you can't face the world but they will go crazy for you, come on". It seems to call back to Prayers/Triangles when the narrator is yelling "I will never walk this street again!" etc because they put their trust in someone and got hurt by them, so never again. Rubicon is very uplifting. But I like the cult idea too - "place your faith into me" etc, it could have a sinister meaning too.

Reichward

Yes, the idea of a woman's charms could be the final interpretation, I agree with that. But still, definitely a lot of images tilt about cults and submission, and I think the best in Deftones's lyrics is always the images suggested. I'm still astonished by Hearts/Wires in that regard by the way.

mono

No news about gore instrumentals?

gwenudo

Quote from: mono on Apr 11, 2016, 05:31 PM
No news about gore instrumentals?
I didnt think about that... I need this
Was it like it seemed?...

77years

Can we start a fan video contest for Geometric headdress

pinata89

Quote from: 77years on Apr 11, 2016, 05:49 PM
Can we start a fan video contest for Geometric headdress
That would be tight

elchino

long time lurker, first time poster.....
  so after about 10 listens of Gore, I think its a solid effort. nowhere near the top for me as far as best albums. My biggest pet peave
is Stephs playing or lack thereof. His tiresome single note riffs are so boring. the song Gore is ruined by his riff, imo. I wish he'd actually come up with something creative. I don't think he's shown any improvement in his song writing creativity at all. before you mention how I should listen to this or that as an example on the new album , I already have and you could literally take his playing style from white pony up til now and its pretty much the same. now that's just my opinion so don't get all butt hurt. I don't count guitar effects as creativity, to me its more of an easy way out.
  anyways, i'll still spin Gore, the album. Chino is turning deftones into his band and style now. its not a whole band anymore. more of a lets ride Chinos coattails.
thanks for reading... you may flame away now.... lol

gwenudo

Quote from: elchino on Apr 11, 2016, 06:39 PM
  so after about 10 listens of Gore, I think its a solid effort. nowhere near the top for me as far as best albums. My biggest pet peave
is Stephs playing or lack thereof. His tiresome single note riffs are so boring. the song Gore is ruined by his riff, imo. I wish he'd actually come up with something creative. I don't think he's shown any improvement in his song writing creativity at all. before you mention how I should listen to this or that as an example on the new album , I already have and you could literally take his playing style from white pony up til now and its pretty much the same. now that's just my opinion so don't get all butt hurt. I don't count guitar effects as creativity, to me its more of an easy way out.
  anyways, i'll still spin Gore, the album. Chino is turning deftones into his band and style now. its not a whole band anymore. more of a lets ride Chinos coattails.
No flaming and no butthurting, i agree this is a chino driven album, but i still dont understand the whole "Lack of steph" thing.. Hes obviously there, i hear him perfectly fine, its just that now we hear chino alot more now. Steph was the primary guitarist with chino being backup, and now both steph and chino are primary guitarists. I will say this though, chino, my man i love your stuff i really do, but please just stick to singing. Itll be easier not just for you but also for steph. Please.

IN WAVES

Gore
Doomed User
Prayers/Triangles
Hearts/Wires
Xenon
L(MIRL)
(Everything Else). It's not that I didn't like the rest of the songs, but they just don't grab me like the ones listed above do. Pittura Infamante is growing on me. Slowly.

DenakDW

Just came here to say this: (L)mirl is the fucking shit!
And all the days I've missed you 🍂

elchino

Quote from: gwenudo on Apr 11, 2016, 06:45 PM
No flaming and no butthurting, i agree this is a chino driven album, but i still dont understand the whole "Lack of steph" thing.. Hes obviously there, i hear him perfectly fine, its just that now we hear chino alot more now. Steph was the primary guitarist with chino being backup, and now both steph and chino are primary guitarists. I will say this though, chino, my man i love your stuff i really do, but please just stick to singing. Itll be easier not just for you but also for steph. Please.

oh I hear Steph too. that's not what im saying. What i'm saying is that he doesn't offer anything "new or creative" to the sound. that's usually a sign of a maturing musician. hell, maybe that's what he wants, but I feel deftones could be soooooo much better if he'd step up his game..

gwenudo

Quote from: DenakDW on Apr 11, 2016, 06:48 PM
Just came here to say this: (L)mirl is the fucking shit!
I could listen to it on repeat <3

gwenudo

Quote from: elchino on Apr 11, 2016, 06:50 PM

oh I hear Steph too. that's not what im saying. What i'm saying is that he doesn't offer anything "new or creative" to the sound. that's usually a sign of a maturing musician. hell, maybe that's what he wants, but I feel deftones could be soooooo much better if he'd step up his game..
Coming from a guitar player whos spent many years covering deftones, Steph reuses most of his work, all the same chords and such stuff on each album. Its just that on each album he uses it in a different pattern. The only thing he really changes is his tuning.. Which he didnt even do in Gore, he stayed on drop e.. Which is smart.

elchino

Quote from: gwenudo on Apr 11, 2016, 06:53 PM
Quote from: elchino on Apr 11, 2016, 06:50 PM

Coming from a guitar player whos spent many years covering deftones, Steph reuses most of his work, all the same chords and such stuff on each album. Its just that on each album he uses it in a different pattern. The only thing he really changes is his tuning.. Which he didnt even do in Gore, he stayed on drop e.. Which is smart.

my point exactly.... no creativity and just plain lazy.

ANattyRat

Quote from: only pieces remain on Apr 11, 2016, 04:37 AM
the dislike for doomed user really boggles my brain. if it werent released as a single beforehand i bet ya'll would have a stiffy for it

I loved Doomed User, I just love it the least, at the moment, haha.

The show they're doing is today right? The one they said had a special set? A few people have said they just play a few songs, so it won't be the whole album, but hopefully it'll be something awesome anyway.

LG95

Download Festival ‏@DownloadFest  1m1 minute ago
TOMORROW... @deftones take over our Twitter account. Use #DLQA to ask your questions.
I could float here forever

jaypayton

for the record, i think doomed user and Geometric headdress are two of the best songs they have done in a decade. i wish the whole album was that raw and balls to the wall. then it woulda been a masterpiece......

my theory is the people who hate doomed user are the same people who hate S/T

Kwerty

Still really digging this album. It definitely feels like a chino album. Not to say the others are absent but the song structures put his parts front and centre and you have to root around underneath to hear the others influence. Certainly much more than DE and Koi which had a real split between big chuggy steph riffs on one side with chino on the other - e.g Diamond eyes and rosemary - massive heavy riffs but with clean vocals and big chorus. Those albums felt like they had a lot of dynamic space, whereas got feels a lot more layered and dense similar to SNW and S/T.

I was a massive fan of DE and Koi, i know a lot of people werent, and i am missing the big obvious Steph riffs a bit. That said this album is a hit for me. There are no bad tracks, and the ones that didn't grab me (geometric headress and Xenon) and the ones that confused me (pittura) are really working now.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

LG95

Download Festival ‏@DownloadFest  1m1 minute ago
TOMORROW... @deftones take over our Twitter account. Use #DLQA to ask your questions.
https://twitter.com/DownloadFest/status/719604451179237376
I could float here forever

Kwerty

Quote from: jaypayton on Apr 11, 2016, 07:17 PM
for the record, i think doomed user and Geometric headdress are two of the best songs they have done in a decade. i wish the whole album was that raw and balls to the wall. then it woulda been a masterpiece......

my theory is the people who hate doomed user are the same people who hate S/T
I don't hate DU but I think it's the weakest song on the album. The rawness is good but it just feels un-focused, like there are too many different bits going on that don't come together right.

Whereas self titled had some immense raw heavyness but was almost too samey in places.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk