Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Albums of the Week 2011, week 3

Started by lostpilot, Feb 22, 2011, 11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lostpilot

Howdey. Essential music picks. I think quite some of you might have heard most of the music already but I think the important part is sharing THE essential music.

Phantasia by LITE
Tags: math-rock/explosive/groove/evolution
The absolute must song: Ghost Dance
Try it

The shivering math-rock-groove that this japanese (no surprise) band creates in this album catches you into the subtle yet evolving soundscapes. Technical precision, excellent song-writing and a sold story-teller feeling to the whole experience - lovable.

Holonby Nik Bärtsch's Ronin
Tags: zen-funk/jazz/minimalism/groove/uplifting
The absolute must song: Modul 42
Try it

Piano + bass + clarinet + saxophone + drums = textured jazz which will nod your neck with groove. Acoustic band, therefore clean soft sound. For an active sunny summer day; which is quite the opposite from what I've been experiencing lately.

Abyssal by Envy
Tags: emotionally charged post-rock mixed with hardcore/screamo/explosions/breathtaking emotion
The absolute must song: Thousand Scars
Try it

I already shared my love to this band in other threads, but still - if you're into post-rocky crescendos, hardcore and emotional screamo, try this EP out. There is not that much music  out there filled with emotion as intense as in this EP.

Somewhere Along The Highway by Cult of Luna
Tags: post-metal/doom/evolution/crescendo
The absolute must songs: Dim + Dark City, Dead Man
Try it

Even though the album has it's weak parts (for example, even the opening track is a little weak, but by far the second part of the album contains my favorite texture-post-metal passages in the entire genre. Especially first 6-7 minutes of Dim and the epic ending of Dark City, Dead Man.

Dreaming of Spires by July Skies
Tags: ambient/free floating guitar/soft vocals/music for drifting and falling asleep
The absolute must song: Garden Constellations
Try it

I have been looking for this kind of music for quite a long time - Hammock fulfilled my more-electronic-drone parts of ambient rock desire, but this band fills the left-over space with space-y guitars and vocals only. A soft dream.. recommended setting: speakers (not headphones), late evening, drifting away in the bed.

For those who heard most of these albums, I present you some extras:
[spoiler]3nd - View From Here : math-rock/japanese post-rock. Creative and emotional. Here
Fuzzy Lights - A Distant Voice : post-rock/repetitive organic.  Here
Ufomammut - Eve : doom-stoner-psychedelic-metal-one song album. I think genres describe the massiveness. Here
Master Musicians of Bukkake - Totem One : tribal/drone/psychedelic/experimental. Just try this - interesting stuff. Here[/spoiler]

Corleone

haha nice, only heard july skies and envy

Starz

July Skies is great. You might also like Epic 45 as I think it's the same person if I'm not mistaken?

I am going to download Fuzzy Lights and Lite

E-Money

I'm going to check out July Skies tonight.  Sounds great based on your description.

bright lights, big city

Quote from: Starz on Feb 23, 2011, 01:22 AM
July Skies is great. You might also like Epic 45 as I think it's the same person if I'm not mistaken?
I believe you are correct, I remember seeing somewhere before. Both are excellent acts.

The Ronin and Bukkake ones sound interesting, but I'll probably try em all at some point soon.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

Corleone

Phantasia by LITE is pretty good, kind of like a 65daysofstatic mixed with russiancircles

bright lights, big city

The Fuzzy Lights is beautiful. Checked out their 2010 album too, and it's just as good. Love the violin.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

E-Money

Crazylegs

Holon by Nik Bärtsch's Ronin sounds like something i'll enjoy. i'll check it out when i get home.

lostpilot

Yes, in addition to July Skies I've always liked Epic45 very much.
I encourage everyone to try out Master Musicians of Bukkake - Totem One

occipudding

holon is pretty good so far.  thanks
machete!  meow

lostpilot