Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

song played live/ online videos/ youtube

Started by vadimo, Nov 06, 2006, 04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vesanic

Great, great stuff.

from_musings

everyone thinks it's great, but no one really explains says why it's a good cover. besides that he sings well (something chino also does) what else do the bad rabbits
add to the song? do they bring something new to it? someday i would like to know :)

from_musings

Quote from: defmkjah22 on Jan 04, 2011, 09:23 PM
I fully agree that covers should be a new interpretation, its kinda pointless for the original version to exist if you just copy n paste.
I think as long as you really are into the song and you feel youve got a new way of performing it then its as important as the original.  Thats why the tones covers are always so good.  

i agree, they're a rock band but often pick a pop song and paint it with deftones colors.which means something new is born.Can't say that something new is born in the bad rabbits cover.Deftones don't try to sound like the band they cover, they run the song through their hearts and make something new and special in a deftones way.
That's why I can't say this is great cover just because it sounds great

Vesanic

Quote from: from_musings on Jan 05, 2011, 05:20 PM
everyone thinks it's great, but no one really explains says why it's a good cover. besides that he sings well (something chino also does) what else do the bad rabbits
add to the song? do they bring something new to it? someday i would like to know :)

You're such a bug, you know that ? I like how deep you go in your arguments and shit but sometimes, it's just too much. Yes, they bring something new to the song. It sounds more like it's one of these old r'n'b love songs, it definitely has a new style when played like that.

Vesanic

deftfan

Vesanic

Yeah, man, one of the best bootlegs, definitely.

So, I had this incomplete shot of Battle-axe at Super Bock 2006 from Nuno, and there was another incomplete one floating on youtube, so I mixed them to make a complete version and I put the FM broadcast over it to make it sound " pro ", even though the broadcast wasn't the best either. So now, we have another complete live video of Battle-axe !

Deftones - Battle-axe live @ Super Bock Super Rock Festival, May 26th 2006

shakashuri

agreed. although it stays true to the original, bad rabbits brings a soulful touch to the song

godin

Quote from: from_musings on Jan 05, 2011, 05:33 PM
I fully agree that covers should be a new interpretation, its kinda pointless for the original version to exist if you just copy n paste.
I think as long as you really are into the song and you feel youve got a new way of performing it then its as important as the original.  Thats why the tones covers are always so good. 

i agree, they're a rock band but often pick a pop song and paint it with deftones colors.which means something new is born.Can't say that something new is born in the bad rabbits cover.Deftones don't try to sound like the band they cover, they run the song through their hearts and make something new and special in a deftones way.

before you go off lets not forget Deftones cover of Drive Like Jehu, or there cover of Sinatra by Helmet. There both equally similar to the originals as this cover of sextape is
Dingus.

godin

on a side note: this dude has some sick pipes I wish chino could sing that effortless.
Dingus.

Vesanic

Quote from: godin on Jan 06, 2011, 03:19 AM
on a side note: this dude has some sick pipes I wish chino could sing that effortless.

Fuckin' amen to that.

se7ennn

nineteen

I just like it.

from_musings

Quote from: Vesanic on Jan 05, 2011, 07:09 PM
It sounds more like it's one of these old r'n'b love songs

Quote from: shakashuri on Jan 05, 2011, 11:25 PM
agreed. although it stays true to the original, bad rabbits brings a soulful touch to the song

Thanks,now we're getting somewhere  :) i haven't heard but will listen again.

edit- after a new listen: whatever small adjustments they added, I don't consider it enough reason to be recorded again.

from_musings

Quote from: godin on Jan 06, 2011, 03:18 AM
I think as long as you really are into the song and you feel youve got a new way of performing it then its as important as the original.  Thats why the tones covers are always so good.  

before you go off lets not forget Deftones cover of Drive Like Jehu, or there cover of Sinatra by Helmet. There both equally similar to the originals as this cover of sextape is

they're a rock band but often pick a pop song

once they choose to release a cover on album, it's mostly pop songs they like to transform like chauffeur, to have and to hold, no ordinary love, if only tonight we could sleep and so on, music from a different genre that they choose to treat, adding heavier guitars or adding a heavier ending like in chauffeur . you mentioned Drive like jehu, but ignores the other two covers from that release with cardigans and japan which they do in a deftonish way. the sinatra song is basically the same, just a bit faster and more alert with a bit more attitude in the rhythmic singing. although it's slightly different I agree that it isn't different enough to be interesting as a cover. also not representative of their choices in general of the covers they choose to record on disc. of course one can stare oneself blind on the exceptions but that will lead you nowhere

Vesanic

nineteen

Battle-Axe sounds huge! (despite the wishy washyness)

Nice one.

Vesanic

I could have used another audio source, I just decided to use that one. Glad that you like it anyway.