Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Recording questions

Started by whodunit?, Mar 13, 2008, 09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whodunit?

So, I'm starting to get serious about writing music. I would like to do some acoustic stuff, something John-Frusciante-like.

So, I've got some questions to people who do such stuff.

- What mic to use the best to record stuff? (my cousin suggested SHURE mic)
- What software to use to record the stuff? (pro tools?)
- What software to use to add beat (I guess fruity loops might be the best one)
- What software to use to add some warp-stuff, I mean to add some electronica stuff.

I appreciate any help.

goldpony

its called a digital recorder. you can get one for fifteen bucks. not sure what that converts to in euros...probably like .5 euros ;D

srsly, you said you just started to get serious. i would work on song craft before you jump into recording and be content with a boombox and tape for the time being
"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on May 31, 2008, 09:58 PM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

Starz

Yes the Shure SM81 is a very good mic for recording acoustic guitar and strings like violins. You'll want to add a mic pre-amp to that too like a RNP (Really Nice Preamp).

There isn't really 'the best' software out there to record stuff with. Granted the pros use Pro Tools and Logic but you can make some serious sounding music in Fruity Loops. Listen to Idiot Pilot's first album, a lot of that was made in Fruity Loops. I currently use Sonar Producer Edition and it seems to work for me. Still trying to work out what's what but we are always learning... I would say download a few trials of some music sequencers, like Reason, Cubase, Fruity, Sonar etc and see what you like to work with...BTW, you can use the same software to record and add beats...

www.kvraudio.com is a good place to find free software synthesisers to add different electronic sounds to your music. Shit like Cubase and Sonar come with some good stand-a-lone music instruments and effects too. Tweakheadz is also a very good site for beginners, huge amounts of good advice over there...

claudio

Dude, your pretty much on the right track.

Shrue are easily the most diverse and best solo mic, but I would recommend a nice in between mic. Any dynamic mic should work. Just remember that when your using a computer, soundcard comes into it too, don't have the mic too close to the computer (you pick up some strange noises)

If your on a budget (or just want to get the hang of recording), I would get Audacity. Its free, basic as fuck to use and you can mutli track and do mix downs really easily. Cool edit is a good one to use. I wouldn't go into protools yet (its the best digital you can get - IMO), I made the mistake of getting it to soon and didn't really know what I was doing.

the good old 4-trackstill stands the distance though. If your looking for some Jon Fruscante 'roughness' this will get it for you.

I don't kow much about sequencers, so I'd go with Starz...fruity has always worked well for me.