Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Stan Winston Dies

Started by Deftones-88-05-Deftones, Jun 16, 2008, 08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deftones-88-05-Deftones

The father of the dinosaurs in JURASSIC PARK, of THE TERMINATOR, of PUMPKINHEAD and PREDATOR and the Monsters in MONSTER SQUAD and, of course, ALIENS, has passed on. He died cause of cancer.

The man is a legend and created legends. He himself a God in his own right, sculpting Icons that will be remembered as long as people with imagination deem it prudent to tell stories to an audience.

He was a leader in practical effects work, having given opportunity to all top effects leaders today. Winston idolized the people that came before him in the field, like Ray Harryhausen, and sought to make his own iconography, inspiring yet more to follow in his lead.

The picture below is of Ray Harryhausen getting his star on the Hollywood walk of fame, something that Winston was instrumental in making happen. Also pictured is another effects legend, Rick Baker, and director Frank Darabont.

He won Oscars for his make-up and visual effects work on ALIENS, TERMINATOR 2 and JURASSIC PARK and was nominated for his work on HEARTBEEPS, PREDATOR, EDWARD SCISSORHANDS, BATMAN RETURNS, THE LOST WORLD and AI.

RIP
" You are just Disconnected, Apathetic It must be so pathetic to be this frantic You are just Like methadone for an addict  "   Mark Hunter

" Im gonna see you bleeding Face down in the dirt Im gonna give you back what Youve taken with hurt You coward Im going to spit right in your face" Rob Flynn

Variable

so he is the one who created what all those creatures would look like?  And then made them?

theis

Wow, this is quite a shock.

He was indeed a legend.

RIP and thanks for some of the most iconic creatures in film history.

defskull

You make it sound like the directors of those movies didn't have an idea of what they wanted to do and he created them all by himself.  I mean aren't the directors the fathers of these creations?  Stan just gave them life.

shine down unshy

Don't know the guy, but I grew up watching all those movies and loved them.  rip

bIondie

Quote from: Azwethinkweiz on Jun 16, 2008, 09:17 PM
RIP and thanks

even though he's dead, i'm sure he read this.

wither-I

"coming into the nearness of distance"

wither-I

at first read/glance i thought you meant the old guy from jurassic park (who fathered the dinosaurs) in actuality, the guy witht the amber cane lol

"coming into the nearness of distance"

Variable

Quote from: bIondie on Jun 17, 2008, 01:45 AM
Quote from: Azwethinkweiz on Jun 16, 2008, 09:17 PM
RIP and thanks

even though he's dead, i'm sure he read this.

exactly what I was thinking.
Quote from: defskull on Jun 16, 2008, 10:47 PM
You make it sound like the directors of those movies didn't have an idea of what they wanted to do and he created them all by himself.  I mean aren't the directors the fathers of these creations?  Stan just gave them life.
yeah, thats kind of what I am confused about too

Jacob

he was most likely a very talented guy and those movies wouldn't be the same without him. but you can't give him credit for all the work. for example, the Alien was designed by H.R. Gieger. so he created that icon, at least. which in turn is the basis for 90% of the design of later alien creatures/monsters.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

devilinside

Quote from: wither-I on Jun 17, 2008, 01:51 AM
at first read/glance i thought you meant the old guy from jurassic park (who fathered the dinosaurs) in actuality, the guy witht the amber cane lol

Me too..they guy that "spared no expense"

oldgentlovecraft

untz untz untz

To original thread creator:

Please learn English.  You live in the United States.

kthx

Deftones-88-05-Deftones

Quote from: untz untz untz on Jun 17, 2008, 06:00 PM

kthx

The note was from some site. Go fuck yourself ;) and learn some spelling too  THANKS ;)
" You are just Disconnected, Apathetic It must be so pathetic to be this frantic You are just Like methadone for an addict  "   Mark Hunter

" Im gonna see you bleeding Face down in the dirt Im gonna give you back what Youve taken with hurt You coward Im going to spit right in your face" Rob Flynn

Fireal1222

RIP

but the title of this thread sounds like your angry and you want revenge

I'm Not Here.
This Isn't Happening.

Deftones-88-05-Deftones

Quote from: Fireal1222 on Jun 17, 2008, 06:59 PM
RIP

but the title of this thread sounds like your angry and you want revenge

I dont want revenge dude LOL

Variable

Quote from: untz untz untz on Jun 17, 2008, 06:00 PM

kthx
lol

goldpony

no, stan actually created a lot of the creatures. The directors had a general idea of what they wanted but it was up to stan to make it come to life. the terminator, predator, alien queen (inspiration from giger), edward scissorhands and many others are his creation. he also did the make up in many movies as well. heres a gallery of his best known work

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20207033,00.html
"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on May 31, 2008, 09:58 PM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

oldgentlovecraft

Awesome link, thanks!

theis

Quote from: goldpony on Jun 17, 2008, 08:49 PM

no, stan actually created a lot of the creatures. The directors had a general idea of what they wanted but it was up to stan to make it come to life. the terminator, predator, alien queen (inspiration from giger), edward scissorhands and many others are his creation. he also did the make up in many movies as well. heres a gallery of his best known work

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20207033,00.html

exactly.

so many amazing characters and creatures. he truly had a genius mind. a huge loss for the movie world.