Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Tempo and rhythm.

Started by lostpilot, Nov 29, 2008, 11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lostpilot

What music do you like more - fast or slow? with simple rhythm or complex scheme of rhythms?

I personally managed to find bands to support all of my needs, for example -

• I always loved fast (and quite chaotic) music, so when I found Mars Volta, it fit my every fast-music need.
  • And, my need for slow (drowsy and sleepy) music is fulfilled by post-rock basically.
  • As for the rhythms, I love complex rhythms, like in some nice progressive rock.

what about you?

theis

i mostly prefer music that gets my blood going. recently, "between the buried and me". fast, chaotic and melodic all in once. other bands that gets me pumped include; glassjaw, mastodon, opeth, ISIS (who at the same time can be really calming)...well, most bands with a heavy sound.

when i need to relax, like read a book or something, i put on movie scores. typically  Angelo Badalamenti, Clint Mansell, Hans Zimmer and Ennio Morricone. i also enjoy the smooth jazz tones of Miles Davis. Tom Waits always succeeds making me relaxed. post-rock fits here too, eg. god is an astronaut. (or clann zú)

when you talk about groove and rhythm, i listen to dredg, incubus, sublime, fair to midland, etc.

Crazylegs

I tend to lean towards slow music, but as a drummer any song with a good complex rythm and a competent  drummer gets my boner going. Bands like Porcupine Tree and Meshuggah make my trouser space tighter than normal. Jon Theodore and the oceansize drummer do a pretty good job aswell, allthough the oceansize drummer might not play the most complex grooves, he does lure in some tricky time signatures now and again.

lostpilot

Quote from: Crazylegs on Nov 30, 2008, 02:05 AM
allthough the oceansize drummer might not play the most complex grooves, he does lure in some tricky time signatures now and again.

yeah I wanted to mention him, cause I really like Oceansize groove!

Hesperian Death-Horse!

Quote from: lostpilot on Nov 29, 2008, 11:39 AM
What music do you like more - fast or slow? with simple rhythm or complex scheme of rhythms?

I personally managed to find bands to support all of my needs, for example -

• I always loved fast (and quite chaotic) music, so when I found Mars Volta, it fit my every fast-music need.
  • And, my need for slow (drowsy and sleepy) music is fulfilled by post-rock basically.
  • As for the rhythms, I love complex rhythms, like in some nice progressive rock.

what about you?

I'm pretty much just like you. TMV all the way. And Circa Survive definitely have the complex/jaunty rhythm thing going on more so on Juturna but its all good. I like the odd timing harmonized guitar work that King Crimson do a lot. One song in particular on The Power To Believe has a really good riff. Can't remember exactly which it is at this point.

Hesperian Death-Horse!

Quote from: lostpilot on Nov 30, 2008, 10:13 AM
Quote from: Crazylegs on Nov 30, 2008, 02:05 AM
allthough the oceansize drummer might not play the most complex grooves, he does lure in some tricky time signatures now and again.

yeah I wanted to mention him, cause I really like Oceansize groove!

Frames has some great odd rhythms and off color guitar harmonies.