Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Judd Apatow = genius

Started by bright lights, big city, Jan 10, 2009, 04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkblades

I love 40 Year Old Virgin, Superbad, Pineapple Express and Forgetting Sarah Marshall but found some of the other Apatow-related films very disappointing. Knocked Up is overrated (there are great jokes in the film but the drama just felt very forced to me) and Funny People was an overlong, self-indulgent retread of Knocked Up. Get Him to the Greek was boring besides Puffy's performance/character (there's a sentence I thought I'd never write.) I like Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann but making a pseudo-sequel to Knocked Up just seems like Apatow going back to the same well too many times now.

bright lights, big city

Funny People, I'll give you, even though I still enjoyed it. At times, it dragged a little bit. However, Greek was easily one of the best comedies last year (granted, it was a bad year for comedies, but still).

Also, I got my dad the entire box set of the Larry Sanders Show for Christmas. He already finished it and now I'm starting to watch it. Fucking genius comedy, Rip Torn is great and Jeffrey Tambor is just absolutely hilarious as usual. I believe the show was Apatow's first writing gig, way before he did Freaks and Geeks.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

lukas989

I remember getting all excited as I waited for Freaks and Geeks to flop onto my mat.  It was pretty good sure, but people talk about that show like it was made by Jesus.  Turns out its just plain ol' Judd Apatow.

theis

Check out Undeclared. The other show he created. Personally, I like it better than Freaks and Geeks.

lukas989

Yep, I got that added to my Lovefilm list - although the review I read for it was a touch lukewarm.  Seths a bit more prominent aint he?  That kinda bummed me out about freaks, he was barely there at all.

theis

Yeah, he has a lot more screentime in Undeclared.

chick de la lynch

I wouldn't call Apatow a genius. Bergman was a genius, but Apatow? He makes entertaining films and has discovered some great and interesting actors but that's the only credit you can really give him. I heard about Apatow's reaction after the whole Golden Globes/Ricky Gervais debacle and it was uncalled for. I know I should separate the artist and the art but I think he overreacted to a comedian's routine, which you think he would have understood especially after making Funny People.  It was aggravating and he rode Gervais way too hard for Gervais being...well, Gervais.

bright lights, big city

I haven't heard anything about him talking about the gloden globes. Not Judd! He's my boy!

But yeah, i gotta side with Ricky Gervais with that whole award show debacle. Negative points, Apatow.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?