Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones total sales?

Started by skullisred, Apr 01, 2010, 09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skullisred

Theres a few figures flying around on wikipedia for album sales etc. but does anyone actually know what Deftones' total album sales are?

I was looking at P.O.D. on wikipedia and was suprised to see they've sold over 10 million albums. I've always been under the impression the Deftones have sold less than that. But I consider the Deftones to be a much bigger/popular band and more respected so surely they've sold more?

I was suprised to read of poor sales for the S/T album, even though I thought Minerva was a pretty big single for them and that album is amazing!

But maybe I'm wrong, comes back to that classic 'non radio friendly' vibe I guess. Shame, maybe Diamond Eyes will buck the trend...

Cherry Waves

A rough guess, i would say they've sold around 6 or 7 million....P.O.D. had a lot of success with 'Satellite' due to a lot of radio and tv play and that has set them up pretty much!
EAD!

lxix

If I remember correctly the first 3 albums have gone platinum, self titled went gold & SNW didn't do as well as planned.

Platinum being a million sales & gold 500,000.

poisonwell

Self titled sold half a million?! How come it gets such bad rap then?

godin

it took a while to go gold. White pony was a platinum record and I think the majors were hoping for it to break them through to be an arena band or something
Dingus.

NicholasHume

Personally, I normally don't like hearing about record sales.
It just annoys me: Nickelback, for instance, probably sells more albums that all of my favourite bands combined - but holy fuck do they ever suck.
Doesn't make sense.
HINT: If you're in a band and want to make it big, aim for the middle of the road. It's what the people want.

Hidalgo

here's my estimate (based on the jan 07 sales figures, how much adrenaline sold in 21 months to go platinum in sept 08, and 18 months since. i think these are probably quite close, but still just my guess)

adrenaline 1,025,000
around the fur 996,000
white pony 1,330,000
deftones 580,000
saturday night wrist 300,000

bsides 130,000
live uk 34,000

= 4,404,000 (US only)
6.5 or 7 million worldwide

NicholasHume

lungdamage

jesusinabowlofdirt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deftones_discography

according to hidalgos guess list, he added +236.000 copies to atf, +30.000 to wp, +50.000 to snw

..but only 13.000 to s/t ..

seems to me youre adding more sales to the records u like  ;)

im just fucking around, do u have another source on sales?

Hidalgo

i've never seen that page. i don't know where that page got it's info, but ATF is in the upper 900ks. my info i got from jan 07, someone posted a massive list of their record sales, i'll post it later. then i just figured how long it to adrenaline to go from 965k to 1 mill from jan 07 to sept 08, applied it to the other albums, and added the 18 months since then, with a bit lower sales cause how much worse the cd sales market has gotten. i was fair to s/t, and i like that album

Hidalgo

from jan 2007

Hidalgo

i think my numbers are pretty close to what they'd look like now

jesusinabowlofdirt

Quote from: Hidalgo on Apr 02, 2010, 02:29 PM
i've never seen that page. i don't know where that page got it's info, but ATF is in the upper 900ks. my info i got from jan 07, someone posted a massive list of their record sales,

how do we know atf  "sold upper 900ks", and not 760.000+ according to the biography link, what is it that makes your list more trustworthy than the link i posted?

"some guy posted it sometime ago, he got it from somewhere"? thats not a good source

Hidalgo

then don't go by it, i'm not asking you to. i happen to think the sorce is very much legit. who in their right mind would make all those numbers up for all those random cds? they got the numbers from the riaa somehow. if you don't believe it that's just dandy with me. what makes your 760,000 legit? or any numbers that page has? if you've been paying attention to deftones sales as long as me(over 10 years) you'd know adrenaline and ATF are always close in sales. no way adrenaline has a 300k lead. 30k maybe, not 300k

jesusinabowlofdirt

who in the right mind would post a biography page with the latest news and numbers which werent correct? that argumnet doesnt hold.

but according to your list, if adrenaline had sold 965925 copies by jan 2007, and 1000.000 by autumn 2008, thats 34075 in 1.5 years (547 days) an increasement with 3.4% ,thats 62 copies a day

now another 1.5 years after autumn 2008,lets say it sells 62 copies a day, that would make it 33914 more copies and therefor 1.033914 today spring 2010

just lets say is the same for around the fur (942177 copies 2007 accoring to your list) then increased with 3.4% to autumn 2008, that would be a total of 974211 copies in autumn 2008 (1.5 years later,or 547 days)
58 copies a day.

lets say it sells 58 copies/day for another 1.5 years (autumn 2008-present), thats 31726 copies to add to 974211 copies and would make around the fur 1.005937 - platinum now. and i havent heard anything about platinum yet

jesusinabowlofdirt

Quote from: Hidalgo on Apr 02, 2010, 06:09 PM
adrenaline and ATF are always close in sales. no way adrenaline has a 300k lead. 30k maybe, not 300k

no i gotta say i always concidered them on the same level. i dont know,the biography page looks updated with titles,remixes and everything, but maybe the sales arent as updated. but in that case atf will go platinum any day now,right?

Hidalgo

i factor in how much cd sales have dropped since then too, there's no science to how many they sell per day, but i do think ATF is on the verge of platinum. may take a year to get there but it'll happen. my numbers are just an estimate, i made that clear. but i do think they're close

jesusinabowlofdirt

if they release sextape as a single and get more people aware of deftones, then maybe the atf sales will take off once again when new deftones fans are born

Hidalgo

Quote from: jesusinabowlofdirt on Apr 02, 2010, 06:22 PM
Quote from: Hidalgo on Apr 02, 2010, 06:09 PM
adrenaline and ATF are always close in sales. no way adrenaline has a 300k lead. 30k maybe, not 300k

no i gotta say i always concidered them on the same level. i dont know,the biography page looks updated with titles,remixes and everything, but maybe the sales arent as updated. but in that case atf will go platinum any day now,right?
it could, but my guess is when adrenaline hit 1 million, ATF was at about 978k, and since then sales have gotten even worse, so i'd guess it didn't sell at the same rate as jan 07 to sept 08, still it should be within 5k of platinum. that could take months