Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones pictures, interviews, magazine scans.

Started by theis, May 01, 2010, 01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nineteen

I just get Harry Potter vibes from looking at that picture. No idea why.

Maybe it's because Stef looks like Hagrid.

DeftonesNZ

from_musings

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Oct 27, 2012, 10:06 AM
end of the day its his job and he has a family to support can't afford to turn down good money.

you initially made it seem that he didn't have much of a choice, "can't afford" to not do the song" that he HAD to do this - for his family. way to create a bullshit sob story to explain selling out behaviour. now you changed it to "he's allowed" to make money which isn't the same.  it's obvious you're just realizing you're wrong

bewareofrats

You guys put any weight in what that site says?
Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: from_musings on Oct 29, 2012, 07:31 AM
end of the day its his job and he has a family to support can't afford to turn down good money.

you initially made it seem that he didn't have much of a choice, "can't afford" to not do the song" that he HAD to do this - for his family. way to create a bullshit sob story to explain selling out behaviour. now you changed it to "he's allowed" to make money which isn't the same.  it's obvious you're just realizing you're wrong
I'm guessing English is not your first language or your just not common with it but "can't afford to turn down the good money" is just like a saying  its not a literal statement never said he was poor just said he's allowed to take the good money when it's available do you think he would still be worth that much if he only did what he wanted. Man happens all the time of this site people just interpret things differently because of different sayings.

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: bewareofrats on Oct 29, 2012, 08:06 AM
Wouldn't take it as gospel, end of the day its only an estimate.

from_musings

yeah it's an estimate, but i would guess it's closer to the truth than the 500 bucks deftonesnz says.
i would appreciate if he just admitted it's selling out, that chino doesn't have to do this but does it anyway,that he cares more about money than his image as an artist.if chino is more of a business man than a true admirable artist here - that's ok, but don't try to make up an explaination / lie that makes it better than it is. the truth is ok too.

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: from_musings on Oct 29, 2012, 08:31 AM

yeah it's an estimate, but i would guess it's closer to the truth than the 500 bucks deftonesnz says.
i would appreciate if he just admitted it's selling out, that chino doesn't have to do this but does it anyway,that he cares more about money than his image as an artist.if chino is more of a business man than a true admirable artist here - that's ok, but don't try to make up an explaination / lie that makes it better than it is. the truth is ok too.
I can now see why your considered a huge asshole on this site, He's not a sellout it was one song and it wasn't even that bad why the fuck are you here if you think he's a sellout, I'm guessing you are a musician who hasn't made it and uses excuses like i didn't want to sell out to justify it either that or your'e just a straight out dick head,I think your'e probably jealous of Chino's success so you try and bring him down to your level by picking out his flaws just be happy for him.I never said he has to do it i said he is entitled to use his skills to get good money when it is on offer don't play Mr high and mighty acting like you wouldn't do that.

Visitant

"I really can't help it.  It's either this or prison."

ZackND

from_musings

Quote from: ZackND on Oct 29, 2012, 09:11 AM
what song are you guys talking about?

hexes/bassnectar, but it's not about how it sounds though, it's the fact that chino sang on a dub step song, a style which he later said he hated. "then why do it?" the interviewer asked, and chino said "because they paid me a lot of money"

"Selling out, the act of compromising one's perceived principles for economic gain"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selling_Out_%28disambiguation%29

kckondor

No that's not all that he said. First he mentioned that he was a friend of theirs and that he asked him to do it. Then he mentioned the money as sort of an afterthought.

I gave up caring about "selling out" a long time ago. These dudes are married and/or have kids. They make music as a career ie to make money.  If they make something I don't like I'll just stop listening.  But I'm not going to begrudge them for padding their wallets by helping out a friend.

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: kckondor on Oct 29, 2012, 12:56 PM
No that's not all that he said. First he mentioned that he was a friend of theirs and that he asked him to do it. Then he mentioned the money as sort of an afterthought.

I gave up caring about "selling out" a long time ago. These dudes are married and/or have kids. They make music as a career ie to make money.  If they make something I don't like I'll just stop listening.  But I'm not going to begrudge them for padding their wallets by helping out a friend.
well said

alan1o

they haven't sold out. they haven't sacrificed their integrity for commercial gain - with the one exception being back to school. they're not haircut tightjean posers, and they don't just follow the trends.

bojosoto

They definitely have not sold out. And I don't think the money thing is an issue at all for them. Chino has an estimated net worth of $15 million.

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: bojosoto on Oct 29, 2012, 01:39 PM
They definitely have not sold out. And I don't think the money thing is an issue at all for them. Chino has an estimated net worth of $15 million.
Yeah my whole point was they should be able to use their skills to make the good money when its available even if its not something they fully enjoy,and they should be able to do it with out being labelled sellouts when clearly they're not. Music is just like any other business.

from_musings

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Oct 29, 2012, 01:43 PM
Quote from: bojosoto on Oct 29, 2012, 01:39 PM
Yeah my whole point was they should be able to use their skills to make the good money when its available even if its not something they fully enjoy,and they should be able to do it with out being labelled sellouts when clearly they're not. Music is just like any other business.

no, that wasn't your "whole point"point, THESE were your points

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Oct 27, 2012, 12:12 PM
They aren't that rich look on oneloveforchi chi's ex talks about how everyone thinks the guys were rich but because of the long time between albums they struggled sometimes she said at one point child services wanted her to pay child support to Chi.

you meant he couldn't turn down the offer because he and his family are poor. jeez, you've got a memory of a gold fish.

oh btw, here's more sellout talk by chino:

http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=M-J9YFkQE_k&p=n#/477;500

so we got bts, bassnectar, and handsomeboy modeling school. all done for money.
i wouldn't call chino a 100% sell out, but it's dumb to make it seem he doesn't ever sacrifice his artistic integrity for money. only a delusional fanboy could try