Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The "Yee old drugs and creativity" argument

Started by Robotsatemygrandma, May 15, 2011, 09:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robotsatemygrandma

We've read about it, we all know about it. But honestly, is it really true that creativity driven by chemicals produces better results?

From personal life experience, for me, it is true. That body of work always receives more praise than my sober work, personally and professionally. Kind of pisses me off. It's like a stigma that I can't shake or ever depart from... ever. It covers everything I've done. Music, art, and even when I worked as a graphic designer.

The one exception has been my writing.

I know many authors, musicians, and artists are sober and create awesome results... but it seems like the greats are always plagued with this affliction.

Any rebuttals or thoughts would be awesome!

lostpilot

wither-I

all you need is duende. you either have it or you don't. and some weed...

"coming into the nearness of distance"

lostpilot

I wanted to get back to the topic because I did not really have the time before.

I'd say drugs are an influence to an artist. And it subjectively depends on a particular artist as a person. Though at the same time I know people who can stay off drugs and create wonderful things - therefore "drugs = creativity" is not a necessity but an optional situation. And in my personal opinion one cannot be judgmental of a person who creates things while under influence of drugs - it is still his mind creating things, not the drug itself, right? And we generally have our subjective opinions about drugs overall, so lets keep this to ourselves.

In my particular example, some drugs opened my eyes up to making organic and textural music. Mostly based on the idea that everything is made from sets of subsets, textures, fractals, organic subatomic levels. Therefore I adapted this "cosmic" understanding to my music and started creating organic sounds.

wither-I

Quote from: lostpilot on May 27, 2011, 08:35 AM
In my particular example, some drugs opened my eyes up to making organic and textural music. Mostly based on the idea that everything is made from sets of subsets, textures, fractals, organic subatomic levels. Therefore I adapted this "cosmic" understanding to my music and started creating organic sounds.

visionary.

Robotsatemygrandma

Ok, so even though you're "under the influence" it is still your own mind? Roughly saying, the "drug" is releasing different chemicals in one's brain that happen to bring out a difference in creativity. Or influence the generation of ideas?

Maybe it's like this...

When one creates they usually only open one door. But being on whatever drug, they happen to open a different door. Different tools for different results but still the same palette of skills.

No clue I'm babbling now lol.

TheSeeker1080

Quote from: Robotsatemygrandma on Jul 03, 2011, 09:12 PM
Ok, so even though you're "under the influence" it is still your own mind? Roughly saying, the "drug" is releasing different chemicals in one's brain that happen to bring out a difference in creativity. Or influence the generation of ideas?

Maybe it's like this...

When one creates they usually only open one door. But being on whatever drug, they happen to open a different door. Different tools for different results but still the same palette of skills.

No clue I'm babbling now lol.

Nah, In a way I agree. Dopamine Serotonin and other chemicals already exist in your brain. The drugs don't give you those chemicals, but they may release a larger amount of them. They get released naturally in different situations though.  Sure there have been a lot of musicians that had drug problems, during which time they produced great music (Jimi Hendrix, Kurt Cobain, etc) even the Beatles experimented with LSD, uppers, and weed (and heroin especially John). I wouldn't recommend heroin, coke, LSD, or ecstasy, to anyone under any circumstances, but some weed is alright (as long as you aren't still growing).

wither-I

the thing is, we are all on the same level. but some are more aware of it than others. but all people can reach transcendental states without the application or inducing of "drugs". many drugs can bring people close enough to that realm but even in this life we cannot fully "see it". only in death will we "know awe"...

theis

wither-I

Frequency_Chemist

This is my experience. While actually on drugs theres no way in hell I can be creative. Afterwards, days or weeks later I think I would definitely get a little spark of creativity.  When I stopped doing drugs I found that it really killed my creativity and for a long time I thought that maybe I just wouldn't be as creative as I was before. I don't encourage drug use by any means, but I do think besides just the  experience of mind altering drugs...something good did happen. It forever changed the way that I see things and taught me a lot about myself.   

BillyNo.9

I just came across 2 videos that call each band " The thinking man's metal band". Both bands obviously dabble with different drugs. Both bands are extremely creative in their own ways.
Mastodon Interview.avi

Deftones interview with Madden on Live105.com