Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

CONTEST - Deftones: The Vinyl Collection

Started by Drop-Dead, Oct 06, 2011, 08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

One_Weak

This isn't much, but first time I saw Deftones in Baltimore, MD my friend Mark came along. I pretty much begged him, so I wouldn't go alone, since few of my friends had any interest in the band. As a big fan, he knew going was important and since he naturally has always liked concerts no matter the venue, he decided to come. He's the tame sort, he would never mosh and listens to mostly punk rock and grunge, the like. But, with some interest in a few 'Tones songs, mostly their softer side, he caved. Towards the end of the concert, all of a sudden Mark--sober!--was moshing like crazy. I wasn't even, and he was bouncing around getting all crazy. he got hit a few times, sported some bruises and soreness afterward, and claimed it was one of the most intense concerts he's ever been to. A small venue, too, but that didn't matter. Engine No. 9 got him started and their closer, 7 Words, pretty much had him going crazy. It's the music, man. Chino's voice, Steph's riffs, Abe's drums, it was all thunderous and electrifying. Great memory.
Biggest Musical revelation in my life so far: Deftones indulgence in August 2010 thanks to Diamond Eyes album (despite faves being Adrenaline & ATF). Been obsessed ever since. First concert for them in Baltimore 5/17, fucking aweso\m/e

McFly

My favorite deftones moment was at the luxembourg show 06/13/2006. It was a absoult amazing gig, they played the around the fur record in its entirely. But the most favorite moment was, when they play battle-axe. It is my absoult favorite song and I didn't accept, that they play that song. So when heard the opening riff of battle-axe I had the feeling that I was the only person in the venue. That was a feeling, I never had before. Everything fall from my shoulders and I had goose bumps all over my body. Totally amazing.
Please add this song to your setlist again. That would be stunning

DefAlx

It was Nov. 2000 when i heard Deftones first time. I came to my cousin and saw CD White Pony there. I wonder what is it, because i didn't see this record previously at his collection. He says that is fucking great band and i must hear it! Ok, to be honest as i can remember, i played CD one time and asked myself what the shit is it? It was absolutely different from the music that i used to listen to that time. I think the same day few hours later he (my cousin) decided to create a russian site about Deftones and asked me to help him. All right, no probs. So one week later we lauched our first version of deftones.ru. Thanks to Nuno and his deftonesworld.com - he helped us with informations :). But what i remember from that time is only that one song from WP i liked - Knife Prty. It was the only song which i grabbed from Cd to my comp. All other albums came in my mind later.

Present time there's only one site in Russian language about Deftones, all other projects, which were born round about when we were born, but now they all are dead, but we're still alive!

In November 2000 i even couldn't imagine that after 11 years i'll still be support this project. So the first Deftones' song that i listened to and which i liked, evolved into long-lived russian fan-site about Deftones.

Good luck to all!

Alex (deftones.ru)

Wicked

My favorite deftones memory has to be when i was a child, i had like 6 years old (1996), and i used to follow  my big brother everywhere, he was like an idol to me. so my brother and his friends used to gather in my house and play the deftones videos that my brother had recorded on a vhs, and i used to hide under the bed to watch the videos with them, and that's how i became a fan of the deftones, i still remember the video that i saw that time,  was "Bored" from the "Adrenaline" album, and that's why i love that video so much, because it kind of has an emotional value for me.

and that's all!

Greetings everyone! And Good Luck!

13-11-2000 at Much Music '299 Queen St. West' Toronto, ON

mono

The year 2000 in Chile, was 12 and met my best friend (Julio), those friends that you dream of doing things in the future, when old talk about what we did when young , and all that stuff. Together we created a friendship that was born because both heard to deftones a few years ago, and always said we had to play live once headup. Years passed, and we formed a band with friends to doing covers of deftones, and obviously we played headup, he sang and I played bass and did the voices of Chi.

They were excellent years, and he became a brother to me and my family. But not everything always goes well... during a vacation in southern Chile with his family in February 2004 Julio drowned in a lake. It was a terrible shock to all, was a friendship like few, we had projects in mind, we were preparing songs with our band, but everything went to the shit. His funeral was in a town 5 hours from the capital (where we lived), there I promised him that the next time I return to the cemetery to visit, deftones be there in some way. Deftones not usually come very often to South America; their last visit was in 2001.

During December 2006, I visited the cemetery and talked about the only way I could take him to deftones is playing all the cds that he knew in life (adrenaline, atf, wp, s/t)  with big headphones in his grave. I was almost 3 hours there with him and the music the louder I can. In the song list I played Headup, the song that marked us since the beginning of our friendship, a couple of tears flowed by remembering the old days.

During headup, a friend called on my cellphone and I received the best news, he shouted: "Shit, deftones confirms date in Chile!!!" . I can't explain the joy of that moment and what I felt, I've always thought that since I brought some deftones songs to his grave, he wanted to bring them to me in life. I can never stop remembering that moment when I hear Headup, until today.

Me - Julio (RIP)

Respect,
-Cristián S.

Shadow46/2

Mine is relatively lame, but here goes: my first brush with the tones was seeing the video for "Change" on MTV back when it was first released. This was back before I even cared that much about music. I remember a few of the other songs that were out at the time (mostly boy bands and nu-metal), and I remember being really taken aback by the Deftones. The song and video were just so dark yet catchy. It instantly became one of my favorite songs, but it wasn't till a couple of years later that I got my hands on their albums, but once I did, it was over. I've been a crazed fan ever since.

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

defmkjahreturns

Year 2000,  I was mad in love with this girl, White Pony was just around the corner and id managed to avoid any leaks.  The date was 6th june 2000 and deftones played Brixton Academy in London.  I was too broke to go back then but they played the show (in bits) on the radio 1 rock show. 
I had my radio on, two tapes recording and a cool breeze blowin in the window on a hot summer night. 
I had been talkin to this girl for a few hours before it started on the phone and Id never felt so in love, it was insane.  I had my bands first gig coming up and she was gona be there, and on from there to forever.

Anyways, the show started and although the sound was kinda distorted (i actually love the sound from that gig) it had this energy and presence to it, it was an atmosphere of sound like id never heard before.   I cant remember the set order right now but what i do remember is first Change then Feiticeira, this is when i think i went into almost a kind of shock at how beautiful the songs were coupled with how i felt about this girl.
Then they did bored with one of 'THOSE' screams near the end and Chi sounding amazing and wild.
Then Digital Bath just put my mind in a car with my girl floatin thru the night.

Then came the part which just blew me away. 
It started with the angry Korea which was just swelling and swirling, the climax of the song with the scream again, it was almost haunting.   
Perfect flow straight into Street Carp.  My heart was pounding with excitement at both what i was hearing and the thought of being with this girl.
THEN INTO KNIFE PRTY.  I cudnt believe how it sounded and the lyrics.  I love how good lyrics are open to interpretation.  The song just felt like me and my girl running away from everybody with all our problems.  Like a total fantasy, like a bit in a movie where lovers have to make a despirate descision.

The White Pony truly had arrived and at the perfect time to soundtrack my life.   It just felt like the biggest ever thing to me at the time.  It changed my life literally in that one night.   I thought i was going to drown in the feelings i was having about this girl, being driven on by the sounds filling the air.
Thats definately my strongest and best memory of deftones in my life, even if it is painfull to look back on.

the deft ones

The year was 1999, I was 17 and my mates and I were heavily into punk-rock music at the time. We had very recently been introduced to a band by the name of Korn, and my musical sensibilities had only just begun to shift to the heavier side of the tracks through my older sister introducing me to bands like Sepultura and White Zombie.

It was late in the year of '98 when the Big Day Out line-up was released for Melbourne and, growing up in Tasmania, all of my friends were amped to do a road trip (or a "sea-trip" if you will) to go and see bands of the notoriety of Soulfly, Marylin Manson, Hole, and the aforementioned Korn.
Growing up with pretty strict parents, I knew I had an uphill battle to get their permission to join in on this sojourn, but I was adamant to do so. As soon as I asked (pleaded) my parents to let me go, I was told that we already had a family trip planned to Melbourne a couple of months later, and there was no way I was going on this one. As you can imagine, I lost my shit, told my olds I was divorcing them, and chucked a massive tanty.

Once this disappointment subsided I decided to scour the events pages of Melbourne, as I was adamant I was going to see a gig whilst I was there.
It didn't take me long to find the announcement of the Vans Warped Tour – and with bands on the bill such as Pennywise, Suicidal Tendancies, and Bad Religion (who later cancelled) I was fucking there!
I made my parents drop me off at the gates, and dragged my 13-year-old brother (who had absolutely zero interest in music at the time) along with me. I was pumped.

I vividly recall a certain band (who I vaguely knew the name of) absolutely tearing up the stage. The energy levels were insane, and I remember saying to my brother "that bass player is a fucking beast – his dreadies are permanently upright!!!" It was like nothing we had ever seen before. But when they busted into a song I later found out was called "Headup", my world and my Bro's literally changed...We were hooked, and I knew I'd found my new favourite band (and in the process my brother Josh's addiction to music began).
Whilst Headup is probably not my favourite Deftones track to listen to anymore, it easily remains my fondest, purely for the profound effect it had on me at the time. Deftones are, and always will be, the band that changed everything for me. White Pony came out not long after, and that's another story entirely, but by then the 'tones were firmly ensconced in my psyche... and they haven't left it to this day.

I went back to school (pardon the pun) on the Monday with a spring in my step. "All the shit you fuckers gave me when you came back from the BDO – I've just seen a band that will blow them all out of the water. They'll be your favourite band soon". And they were.

DefCab

My favorite Deftones moment will always be now and forever be the moment I shared about a month ago. I had been in a very depressed mood for a while because of some experiences that happend to me in the Summer that involved a girl I had been trying be with for four years. Sadly when I finally made the move and decided to move where she resided, she hesitated to be my girlfriend after four long years for telling me she loved me and I had taken a Risk for her. I came back to my home town sad and disappointed, when my mom surprised me with a gift for a trip to California. There I met the most wonderful girl who also had the same passion for the Deftones. She had told me about her recent heart break that had happend to her over the summer, She told me that Risk was her favorite song but she couldn't hear it due to a constant reminder of her ex. While we were cruising L.A. we were listening to all sorts of Deftones songs. But when the night was ending, I decided to play "Risk" for her and I sang it. That night she fall asleep so peacefully in my laps it felt like she was always mine.

I Don't think anything can beat that memory. I Felt alive and now I'm still taking the Risk of a Long Distant Relationship.

dictatesofreason

My best deftones memory was last year in Afghanistan, after a long day of patroling, I got back in my truck and threw on Cherry Waves- I had narrowly escaped some IED  blasts, adrenaline and shock going through me, and the music calmed me sort of rejuvenated my batteries-great song, Cherry Waves.

skinnypuppy

charissa

One gorgeous sunny day shortly after Adrenaline was released I hopped in my car and skipped class at my private all-girls' school for the afternoon. While driving I spotted my older friend who I had a HUGE crush on (I was 16, he was 21). He waved at me and motioned for me to follow him, so I did and we pulled off in a nearby park. I hopped in his red Nissan Pathfinder and Birthmark was playing. We drove around the rest of the day listening to that album. Birthmark has remained one of my favorite songs since that day and Adrenaline one of my favorite albums. He and I ended up dating a few months after that and lost touch for a while after I moved away and went to college. Then last September during the 2010 Diamond Eyes tour, I had two VIP tickets to the Allentown show at Croc Rock and had been looking for someone to go with me. A week before the show, he bought a plane ticket and came up for 36 hours to join me for the show and we heard Birthmark played live together right up against the barrier.
Nice how occasionally things come full circle in life and friendships can pick up right where they left off as if no time had passed at all. Deftones will forever remain a significant part of my life because of that rare and almost surreal afternoon 16 years ago.

FastToGetAway

Real simple memory that I'll never forget. I was riding in my friends car (mid-90's Boneville) that had a massive system in it. We were going to watch a rival HS play in a soccer match my Soph year in HS 96-97. The guy driving asked if I had ever heard Deftones before. I said no, he played 7 Words so GD loud it was almost unbearable. Once the song was over, they all looked at me and asked what I thought. I said "....Fuck!". Instantly I knew that would be a band I never stopped listening to.

rxjustine

I have too many... but the one I'll share here happened somewhat recently, at their Toronto gig last May.

I wasn't about to settle for anything less than enjoying the show front row, so I showed up at the venue alone four hours before doors were to open to begin waiting. It was rainy that day and the venue is right on the lake, so, it was freezing. I waited out the cold and got my front-row-center spot and remained there the entire duration of the show. The twenty-two song set blew me away... but the cherry on top was when Chino came into the crowd for Hexagram, right where I happened to be standing. He stood on the barricade with one leg on each side of me, screaming down into my face. Now, every time I listen to Hexagram, I get chills thinking of this very moment and how alive I felt in the middle of that crowd.

Lucky for me, someone in the crowd, just a few feet away, got it all on camera... 2011-05-03 - Deftones - Hexagram

PinkerMaggit88

I've always been a HUGE Deftones fan because they've been a major influence to me as a singer/songwriter. My most memorable Deftones moment was when I had a girl in my room after a night of throwing back too many...she crawled onto the bed as I whipped out my acoustic and started to play and sing an improvised version of "RX Queen", needless to say Deftones were my secondhand serenade and it was the best moment of my life! THANK YOU!!

sing blue silver

Quote from: skinnypuppy on Oct 10, 2011, 06:50 AM
I lost my virginity to Hexagram.

i hope you win.

i lost mine to feiticeira. put on white pony before the moment of impact because my parents were home and i was afraid they would hear. deftones coming out of my room was nothing out of the ordinary so they were none the wiser.

deftoneseba

Hexagram.
I met my girlfriend while I was becoming a Deftones fan. She didn't like them, but I did my best to record one song per cassette I made to her back in the day. When self-titled came out on 2003, I wished for it since I was a teenager and didn't have a job, therefore, I didn't have any money to buy it. I bought the album on 2004 and my first listen to it was in my girlfriend's house, she liked some songs on the album but I remember that she HATED "Hexagram". After that, she started to listen carefully the Deftones' songs in the tapes I recorded to her, per my request.
Years have passed and now, she always says to me that the "Hexagram" logo is a picture of us :) Additionally, I became a bigger Deftones fan (I am currently a bootleger and a collector and I live in Argentina, a third-world country at the bottom of the world; I mean.. no one listened to Deftones here when I start listening to them on 2000) and my girlfriend too! She bought us two vinyls and a couple of CD singles/promos for OUR Deftones collection that is growing, luckly, every month. Now, 2011 (we've been together for 8 years now), I attended the three shows they did in Argentina (only one with my girlfriend), we have 71 official items in our collection and also, the both of us got our firsts tattoos on April 23rd, 2011, check them out!:
http://www.romastianboots.blogspot.com/
Go there for Deftones bootlegs trading.

Crazy Breed

Lifter - 3 Months before the Blackdiamondskye tour I didn't know who the Deftones were....But i'm a huge AIC fan so i had bought tickets....talking to a good friend of mine i asked him about the Deftones and if they were any good...he looked at me like i was from another planet...he was like "Deftones are one of my top 5 groups of all time and Chino has one of my fav front man voices of them all!!"...Well, being that my friend and i like a lot of the same music i decided to check them out....now this was right around the time my life was on the rocks...my marriage was falling apart....my teen daughter was fucking up her life, in school & out....I was having problems with my parents as well.....everything was shit & I was definitely at the lowest point my life had ever been at....so my buddy hooks me up with a bunch of Deftones CD's and I started off with Adernaline....I fell in love with them almost instantly....I was feeling so much pain & rage deep in my soul and when Chino started to scream "A part of me gets pissed a part of me gets sore, Part of me gets sick part of me gets sore"  It was like he was singing how i felt...It was like i was able to channel all that negativity through their music!! It was very therapeutic and it saved me from the darkness i was being swallowed by...so needless to say...I feel a bond with them now, for they helped me get through that dark time and i thought it was fate that i found them when i did...there was a reason i didn't get into them before, because i needed them much more at that time.....so even though i love all of their body of work...whenever i have a bad day and life is shitting on me I throw on Lifter...and that shit "lifts me up" and helps me move forward.

.....for this i am eternally grateful to this band...Deftones for life!!!
The shade, is a tool, a device....a saviour!

BigMood

My best memory was with my mom. She used to listen to rock music back in the 70s and 80s. So I made her a CD with stuff I thought she would like. The first song on this CD was "Diamond Eyes". She didn't know that it was Deftones and told me that she actually really liked that song and asked me who sung it. I told her it was Deftones and as she tried to sing along it really warmed my heart because my mom actually never really liked them (too heavy and dark). It was such a pretty moment and I felt really connected to her because we both liked the same song from the most favorite and important band in my life.
"Dude, I totally pulled a Chino Moreno on her last night."