Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

CONTEST - Deftones: The Vinyl Collection

Started by Drop-Dead, Oct 06, 2011, 08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drop-Dead

You met your wife while listening to "Digital Bath"? Your mom gets mad when you listen to "7 Words"?  Well here's a chance to win ONE test pressing (rare) of Deftones Vinyl Collection.

Warner and DeftonesWorld invites all Sharinglungs members to post your favorite Deftones memory related to a song included in this new box set.

Rules:

You should be a registered member in SharingLungs.com for more than 30 days from today.
    Only one memory could be entered per user.
    Users that write anything else than one memory in such topic will be banned from the contest.
    Only messages in English language are allowed.
    This is a worldwide contest.
    Winner will be announced on October 16th, 2011 at deftonesworld.com, and prize will be shipped afterwards by Warner.

Write your memory below this message..........

cucuzza

I was listening to "Headup" really loud in my room one day, and my mom walked in when Chino is screaming "Headup! Headup! Headup!" towards the end. She then proceeds to tell me "No wonder people throw themselves out the window when listening to heavy rock music!" For some reason, this made me laugh so much... that has to be my best memory.

ignore the fashion

My favorite Deftones memory would have to be when I seen them in San Diego at a small little venue named Soma. It was November 5, 1998 and it was near the end of the set and they were playing Engine No.9, Chino jumped out into the crowd and landed right where I was at and used my shoulder to support himself. He sang the rest of the song from in the crowd and even let me scream into the mic.

benzo

oh shit, i got this...  i saw you guys in '98-'99 at Deep Ellum Live in Dallas on the Fur tour.  being young, dumb, and full of cum at 18 years old, i must've burned at least 3 thumbers and pounded several oat sodas before the set....in a venue that was 100 degrees!!!  i remember ya'll jamming "ATF" and then i started getting hella tunnel vision and light-haededness and collapsed on the floor!  well, i was back up a minute later but decided that i should head over to the venue entrance to get some fresh air ( i remember it was winter).  so i'm sitting on the ground in the foyer area recollecting myself and here comes Chino running through the foyer...closely followed by what seemed like half the fucking crowd!  i guess he decided to jump stage and have a quick lap around the building.  so here i am ON THE FLOOR getting straight up TRAMPLED by the crowd who are all going nuts trying to get at Chino!  in short, i almost got trampled to death listening to Around the Fur live so yeah, hook it up ya'll.  i almost got killed for christ's sake!  peace.

Danny Keyes

my favorite deftones memory has to be related with the greatest day of my life and that's when i became a father im pretty sure i conceived my baby girl while listening to white pony (TMI i know),but  there's something about that album that helped my marriage life and changed my life upside down. i feel like it was omnipresent in every day of my life all leading up till the day that my baby girl was born. i even remember driving my way to the hospital and listening to feiticeira that has got to be my favorite deftones memory of them all. cheers

HXGRMWORLD

Well I`d like to start by saying this... my Deftones memory is related with the song Simple Man... my birthday is on september 28th, and is my mom`s also... every year we celebrate our birthday Im used to play on the stereo the song, Simple man... my mom hates the Deftones cause Chino screams so loud and aggressive, sje says that they are so heavy, noisy, even she said once they were satanic hahahaha... so shes kinda like conservative person, but when she listened to this song, she completely changed her image about the Deftones and stuff.. she does not love them... but now she`s more tolerant to them, cause I say all meanings :D thats what I like to share... wish all the contestants alll the best! but I hope Warner can give me the boxset... that would mean a lot to me :)
Much respect!
Rest In Peace Chi, Forever Loved and Honored!

summer moon

My favourite Deftones memory is...back in 1999, me and my boyfriend fell in love with Deftones...and each other. Around The Fur was my favourite song back then and when he asked me to give him a picture of me, I gave him one on which I wrote " I just want your eyes fixated on me". Since then, this line became something like our secret code and it`s been written on the back at every photo we`ve ever exchanged.

Derek79

My memory is from 5.20.03 - the day the self-titled CD came out, a show at the Crest theater in Sacramento.  I was in the crowd, rocking out, and half way through "Headup", Chino was scanning the crowd, looking to bring someone up on stage.  He pointed at me, I hopped out of the crowd and up on stage to sing the rest of the song with them.  I lost my mind!!!  I was 24 at the time, but I was jumping around and screaming like a little kid!  I remember being less than a foot away from Chino, screaming "WITH YOUR HEAD UP HIGH!!!" right in his face hahaha!!!  It was 100% pure, raw emotion!!  I lost all control and just went nuts!  For that moment, I tuned out everything else and screamed my head off with my favorite band!!  "WALK INTO THIS WORLD!!!  WITH YOUR HEAD UP HIGH!!!!"   I will remember that song and that moment for the rest of my life!!!

Oldnewtype

My favorite Deftones memory BY FAR is from the first time I saw them live. It was at House of Blues New Orleans, November 8th 2003. I was only 17 years old. Me and two friends were dying to go,  but only one of them had a ticket. They were sold out but we went anyway with hopes there would be a few left at the box office. None available anywhere. After our one friend entered the show we strolled around downtown N.O. for a while before returning to the HoB restaurant.  They were playing a live video feed of the show over the tv's, but with no sound. We sat there as I desperately tried to figure out what songs they were playing by matching their movements with the short bursts of, to me, ecstasy that would be heard when someone opened the door between the restaurant and the venue. I start to notice the staff flipping chairs, getting ready to close the restaurant. I stopped one guy and asked him "Is there any way we can hear some audio for this? I am a HUGE fan and couldn't get a ticket before they sold out." He replied, "Hold on, let me go talk to my manager." Now THIS is where the memory forever burned in my mind really begins. About 5 minutes later, as I'm entranced by the silent stage performance, I feel a tap on the shoulder. I look over and the same HoB staff member gives me the beckoning finger. I immediately get up and follow him. JUST LIKE OUT OF A MOVIE, he opens the soft red rope blocking off the entrance. I was so excited that the fact that I was getting in to see my favorite band, under-aged and for free, hadn't even hit me yet.  He spreads open the red curtain and BAM there they are. Before I can even get into the crowd they start the next song, CAN'T EVEN BREATHE. Not only was it my favorite song at the time but also a VERY rare song that probably only me and a handful of others there had ever heard!! I jumped up and down singing every lyric, enjoying the odd stares from others more than ever. Luckily once the song was over they went into Lotion, which opened up the pit enough for me to mosh it up and get much closer. What followed was the greatest, most intense 30 minutes of my life I've ever lived through. To this day I don't think I have ever had that much fun.  I remember Stef Flashing me the devil horns during Digital Bath, Chino staring straight at me during If Only Tonight... At this point as a kid in high school, just learning what to do with his life, they reaffirmed something I always believe but never put enough faith into. Ever since then I've not only continued to love Deftones with an undying passion, but also continued every single day to make myself a part of one of the greatest bands ever, so that one day some 17 year old will treasure a memory similar to the one Deftones have created for me.

mrpelon94

around the year 97/98....i was doing no good with drugs and gangs......and was into a lot of gangster rap and heavy metal.......i seen the video for be quiet and drive far away.....and its just changed me...i just felt good when i heard that song.....i started to really get into the deftones buying all there albums....and from that point on got out the gang life and drugs ......and till this day deftones is my favorite band........i even got DEFTONES tattooed on me

buddyboy101

My favorite memory of the Deftones is my first memory of the Deftones.  It was around August 2000.  My family had just moved from Texas to Puerto Rico.  I was going into tenth grade.  I remember vaguely hearing about a band that was featured in Circus magazine.  Their new album, White Pony, was heavily praised for being "left of center" and "ground breaking".  It was summer, and my brother and I would go to the mall with my mom when she needed to go shopping.  We'd wander off, and usually hit up Specs, the local music store.  While purchasing the album is still a bit of a haze, I distinctly remember sitting outside of a women's dressing room, waiting for my mom, and scouring the booklet to White Pony.  I remember being immediately taken by the imagery and the simplicity.  But what really grabbed were the lyrics and song titles.  I remember reading these highly vivid passages ("you move, like I want to...you taste foreign", "I'm the new king, I taste the queen", "we'll stop to rest on the moon, and we'll make a fire").  It was like reading poetry, and I couldn't imagine how these passages would be converted  into audio.  The conversion was the most amazing thing I've ever heard to date.  Some things will never leave me for my entire life.  The opening guitar riffs on "Digital Bath" is one of those haunting sounds that I cannot forget.  White Pony was my personal "big bang," and the world hasn't been the same since.

E-Money

My favorite memory of the tones would have to be how I was introduced to them...  I was growing up in Southern California.  My best friend was my next door neighbor.  His name was Matt.   Matt's older brother Tom was always rocking a deftones shirt.  Unfortunately Tom died of a brain tumor about 2 months after white pony was released...  It was awful... Our families were really close and my friend Matt was just a mess.  Tom was a metal head.  I remember him always blasting loud heavy music that I wasn't into at all.  So of course I thought the deftones were some obnoxious metal band that I probably wouldn't enjoy.. I was walking through tower records one day and I saw one of the guys behind the register wearing a deftones shirt.  I asked him about the band and he said they were the best band on the planet.  White Pony had been out for 5 or 6 months and was still on the new releases shelf.  I decided to give it a shot!!  White Pony was my first true love with music.  I became a fan of music after falling in love with this album.  WP came at a time when I really needed.  It game me some comfort and a little closure.  Unfortunately my friend Matt never shared my passion for the tones... I don't live in socal anymore but whenever I go back I always kick it with Matt.  We always go to Toms grave and I always thank him for wearing the tones shirt :)  

I already pre ordered the box set so please don't pick me!  Just thought u guy would enjoy my story!  

Electron§

Ah deftones so many memories.

My first memory of deftones ever was probably when i was like 4 or something one day when i was with my mom in the car, and it was kind rainy and drizzly that day, and she had just gotten off work, so we were headed home, and i could see like the sun setting over the clouds. And i looked over in the car, and picked up this white CD. It had a horse on it. I was like "Wtf?" in my head and i turned it over and saw "Digital Bath" and "Mini Maggit (Back to School)" and i was thinking in my head "whats up with all these weird names?"  ;D and then my mom took it and put it in the cars CD player. And just as we got on the freeway she turned on either "Back To School" (or potentially"Digital Bath") i think it was. And the moment i heard it.... it was like... the most primordial feeling in my gut. Just that first riff. So raw, and almost strange and surreal. And thats when we just flew off onto the freeway and i heard "SO RUUUUUNNNN!!!!!"...

pony_01

February 7th 2011, right about 4 PM, for the first time ever the Deftones landed their feet in Jakarta Indonesia!! They were invited here by Java Musikindo and scheduled to do a show at Tennis Indoor Senayan the other night (Feb 8th 2011) at 8:00 PM.

As a hardcore Deftones fan, me and my buddy (@mahendrasatya14) are planning to pick up the band at the airport and hoping to meet them directly, shaking hands, ask for their autograph, took some photos with them, and everything a fan would do to their idol (for example: hugs and kisses xoxo :p).

HUGE thanks to mrs. Lucky Bastard @adia311, another hardcore fan of the Deftones and off course, Chino Moreno, that shared the information about the band's landing schedule. Without her, my plan to pick up the band in the airport was just an absolute hallucination.

I already have a lot of preparation to pick them up (including talking in the mirror, act like I having a convo with Chino Moreno, etc). One of my special preparation is this:

the special-custom-made-skateboard-deck to be signed by the band. (cool isn't it? :p). Who wouldn't see this deck if you hold 'em high above everyone else head in the middle of the airport?

I do exact the same thing when the band arrive at the airport. And luckily, the first person in the band that showed up is Sergio Vega (Bass) and he saw this deck, followed by Chino Moreno (Vocal), Frank Delgado (Keys and Sampling), and Abe Cunningham (Drums).

FYI there are about 12 Deftones fan in the airport plus some of Java Musikindo team that officially authorized to pick up the band.
Well I'm nervous so I'm using headset with Deftones songs on it to chill down. As soon as the band showed up (right about 4 PM) , my iPod start to play Headup (its on random) and I was like "OMFG IT'S FUKKIN CHINO AND THE GANG WHAT SHOULD I DO MAN? GET AUTOGRAPH! NOW!!". The Headup song is just like the background music for their arrival. It's cool ahahah.

Hell yeah, and the crowd goes wild.

My hands are shaky and sweat. Suddenly I've got a panic attack, can't believe that the Deftones, my inspiration for almost 8 years, breathe the same air with me. And I forgot where the fuck my markers are. I just stand there, watching the gods walking towards me. I'm shaking, almost can't do anything until I found my markers and grab Sergio and ask his autograph.

This is the moment I regret it A LOT. After my deck get signed by Sergio, then Frank's passing and I FORGOT to ask his autograph. We're just shaking hands and then he's gone. Then, I rush to Chino, but I was too late, he's already gone. I just missed two autographs and didn't took any photos with them. But then Abe comes up, so I run to him, ask his autograph, and took a photo with him.

Voila:

I almost couldn't take photo with Abe because the Java team are in hurry to take the band immediately to the hotel, but Abe ask him to excuse us a minute so we could do what we want to do. You're a great man, Abe ;)

Then, the band and their crew has enter the car, but we wondered if Steph (Guitar) had come or not because no one see him. Until, Adia screams "IT'S STEPH!!" then we all run to him, and Steph's face is like "wtf" or sumtin, but when we're gonna took photo, his face turn into like this:

and my deck get signed too ;)

Finally, the Deftones team and the whole crew leave the airport with their fancy pick up cars. Wow. it's like the most exhausting 5 min I've ever experienced. We're all happy for finally meet the gods of rock.

Aaaand this is my deck, signed by Sergio, Abe, and Steph:

I could put em on eBay since there's no Chino Moreno's autograph on it, but I won't do it. Ever. This is the signature of the GODS! This deck has become sacred! And I will keep it forever in my room!!

... naaah it's a lil bit too much.. but seriously, no, I won't ever sell it to anyone. This deck is belong to me and I will bring this deck again if the Deftones comeback to Jakarta. And I'm gonna pick em up again and I'll make sure that CHINO FUCKING MORENO WILL SIGN THIS FUCKING DECK! and Frank too.. :p

THIS IS ONE HELL OF MEMORY!
PICK ME UP PLEASE!

defburn

My first memory of the Deftones had was when I saw them on French TV  (canal+ npa ) for the song "My Own Summer on 10.14.97. I was 17 years old.

I 've never heard of this before . When Chino was screaming (amazing ), heavy guitars, the musical gravity, the energy of the group I was immediately like it .

I do not stop  watch the video every day until the release of the album "Around the Fur" in expect i buy the album "Adrenaline" and loved it. Since I am a big fan !!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK DEFTONES

Jesus2Chino

My best friend is a guy I've known since kindergarten. We grew up spending every free minute with each other, figuring out life together, dreaming up innumerable impossible things, and generally getting into trouble. I remember spending entire weekends with him and his mom during the school year, and weeks upon weeks with them during the summer. I moved across the country in the third grade, but never stopped coming back just to visit them and to spend as much time with them as I could. I remember how easy it seemed to pick up right where we left off every time I visited. Friends aren't really like that anymore; nothing had to be said, we were friends, despite the distance and despite not talking to each other for long spans of time--the thought wouldn't have entered our minds that time and distance usually erode friendships, even the best ones. I got into Deftones the summer after 6th grade, and didn't get to visit my friend and his mom again until the following year. That summer I remember flying back to California and immediately calling my friend to figure out when we could meet up. His mom picked me up shortly after my arrival, and that was the first time I could share Deftones with them. Adrenaline was the first Deftones album I ever bought, and it was the first one I wanted to play for them. Bored came on and I distinctly remember the skepticism. My pal wasn't into their sound at first, but I think his mom could tell how much I wanted them to like the band, and jacked the volume up, saying how much she liked it. We drove around listening to that album with the windows down and the volume at full blast.  I'm not sure if it happened then, though I like to think it did, but by my next visit my friend was a big fan. By that time, I already knew that I was going to move back to California, and was incredibly excited about getting to spend more time with my pal and his mom. But, the summer before the move back, shit hit the fan for my friend. His mom had steadily become a serially abusive alcoholic, and after one rough night, he ended up knocking his mom out and moving in with his dad. Life just got more complicated from there. Dealing with the scars his mom left him was tough, and we got through it together, but our friendship was slowly deteriorating. Girls got in the way of our friendship, as did pride, and college, and a lot of things. We're still slowly reconciling our friendship, which has remained incredibly important to the both of us over the years despite all the bullshit. His mom is now severely ill, just a ghost of her former self. She has been bed ridden for years now, but still finds way to manipulate her son and drink herself into oblivion--forever now a victim, never having to say sorry. I loved that woman like she was one of my own parents, and its really hard for me to see her in the state she's in; I can't even imagine how hard it must be for my friend. I don't think anyone really knows it, not even my friend (who has remained a big Deftones fan), but every time I hear Bored, I think about that summer before I moved back; when we were uncomplicated friends, and he lived in an uncomplicated home, and the only worry between any of us was my worry that they might not like the Deftones as much as I did. I remember the car, and the wind in my face, and the ear numbingly loud music. I remember where we were on Munras Ave passing the Jack in the Box, and I remember his mom feeling empathy and being kind enough to encourage my friend to share a love for Deftones music with me. The reality is that none of that will ever happen again--but it did happen, and nothing could ever take that away from me. I'm just so glad that Deftones were there at that moment, as they've remained a band close to my heart, and that memory will forever be one that I hold dear to me. I already bought this set, but if I'm lucky enough to win, the other set is going to my friend.

Much respect,
-Matt
Much respect,
-Matt

deftones86

It's really hard to pick just one. Deftones have been my favorite band for 10 years. it's crazy how one band can be with you on so many great memories. I'm not going to go with the coolest memory  just my favorite. May 16th, 2007. As i said i had been Deftones fan for years, but living in the middle of nowhere Texas and being broke I never had the chance to see them live.  In 2007 i was transitioning to life after college and had a job and had the money to finally go see my favorite band. But my job takes me all over so I couldn't plan to go see them because i never know where I'm going to be on any given date. But when I found out that they were playing the House of Blues in Dallas on my 21st birthday, I had to buy tickets whether i was going to be there or not. about a week out it was looking like I was going to be working while Deftones where playing a show at the house of blues on my 21st birthday. the day before the show my phone rings its the boss and he says i get to go home for a week. in about 5 minutes I'm packed and out the door headed for Dallas.  And Deftones played my 21st birthday for me and 3000 of my friends. And being 21 i didn't even get trashed at the show, ok i had a couple tequila shots and a few coronas, but I didn't want to forget the night the universe perfectly aligned for me for a few hours on that summer night in Dallas.

venomousinsipid

My first memory... I remember everything like it was yesterday...
My name is Jonathan.. i´m from Chile..
I think i was 10 years... i was on the school.. so everyday i wake up i turn on the tv... One day it was so especial.. i don´t know why.. but i was there... watching videoclips... when suddenly... a beautiful melody come inside my head... i looked up the screen and then i got hypnotized  :o ... It was Change (In The House Of Flies)...  so... after watching... i looked up for more info about this awesome and unknown (just for me) band!!!

At that time I had no internet access, had no ppv tv (you know.. i just had the basics channels) .. i was so lost .. i only had that song in my head.. and i didn´t know the name of the band..  (music channels in here really sucks) Then one day i went with a friend and showed him this video.. and he told me.. he has an uncle that could help us...  I was like so excited.. lol.. So this uncle had internet at home.. and i tell him the history and he said.. "It´s easy.. tell me where you saw this and i find it for you"
I said.. "i saw this on Rock and Pop Channel".. and the he start clicking and then found the website!!!..  So he found the weekly ranking and played every song to found it...

Then when i got the name.. i start to read more info about this band... it was aweome... now i got many pics.. many bootlegs.. i don´t know... i really love this band.. i think Deftones changed my life.. :)
Many of my friends like Deftones music..  i don´t know.. i just.. love Deftones.. :)
Blow me away...!

slyartwork

The problem is I got too many memories related with Deftones... Therefore I'm unable to come up with one memory.. This, while I need to win this competition....
I've been following the band since late 1995, seen them a whole lot of times live (over 25 times and I live in Holland), designed one of their old school t-shirts, ran a Deftones fansite in 2001 (www.dutchdeftones.com  RIP) along with the then just born www.deftonesworld.com (Nuno, we go way back), sang with them on stage in 2003, was at the famous Waldrock show where Chino even recognized me while being booo-ed at while he was giving the best performance he could give at that moment, witnessed the White Pony internet house party (when internet was still new), spend too much money on all kinds of Deftones releases (talking promo's, cassettes, cd's, everything) and now, at age 35, I'm still on messageboards with all the youngsters, and that's cool... Those are great memories.

Fingers crossed

Sly Masmeijer [The Netherlands]
DUTCH DEFTONES FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/dutchdeftones

DUTCH DEFTONES TUMBLR: http://dutchdeftones.tumblr.com

ARTWORK SITE: www.slyartwork.com

PhiberOptiks

About four years ago I use to work at a pizza place as a cashier in a small town. It was a typical slow night, when these two girls walked in, one of them wearing a red white pony jacket. Having never met anyone where I live who loves the deftones, much less ever even heard of them, I naturally lost my mind. Acting completely out of character and not caring that my manager was working that night, I jumped the counter and went straight to the table were they were sitting, sat down with them like a maniac and started talking to the girl with the wp jacket about the deftones like it was no big deal. I'll never forget, one of the first questions I excitedly asked her was what her favorite song was - and she just responded "what's your favorite song?" and then I said "digital bath" and then she covered her mouth and blushed "that's my favorite song!". After that she opened up, and we talked for nearly an hour like we already knew each other geeking out about the deftones and alternative metal while her friend who now had no frame of reference just awkwardly sat there. Because of the deftones and a mutual love for digital bath, I found a kindred spirit, friend, and concert buddy for life. This is definitely my favorite deftones memory related to a song (db is still our favorite song!)