Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Maura Davis + Chino Moreno

Started by Bza々, Dec 28, 2012, 08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bza々

Am I the only one who sees it? I'm extremely critical of the music I listen to and I can comfortably say she's always been the female equivalent to Chino for me. I've been listening to the deftones since 2001 and denali since 2007 and I've always wondered why Chino never did anything with her especially since he liked her and denali's music and even did a show with them.

My guess is logistics and agendas never permitted it.

Elaborate bitches......

deftoner664

Can you give any song suggestions?
Sharing Lungs member since Oct 07, 2005 to Present

jbmp1390

Holy shit. I am so glad you made this thread. I had totally forgotten all about Denali. I haven't listened to them since like 2003. Thank you so much for reminding me.

Can I use this chair? Seriously can I use it?

rxjustine

<3 Maura. Not sure I see the comparison you're trying to make, although I am obviously a fan of both.

Denali - Surface

skinnypuppy

Her voice is like heaven. I agree, she's sort of the Chino of female vocals. Would love to hear her do anything new.

Velvet Tongue

oh holy shit.

this will be incredible. O_O

EDIT:
wait, you're just saying it would be incredible if they actually did collaborate.

thanks for nothing.

check out my music journal at www.o-discordia.blogspot.com

DeftonesNZ

Yeah she's a pretty decent vocalist and she would go will with Chino but as far as being the female version of Chino I would say no, Chino's special because of his almost sweet feminine vocals that pretty much no other male singer can match and all his little squeals and screams that are pretty much not copyable. Maura is good but I'm not seeing a point of uniqueness she sounds just like a typical female vocalist she's good but she hasn't got that point of difference I like in vocalists.

Vesanic

It would be interesting at the very least.

@DeftonesNZ: Nobody can sound exactly like someone else, even the best impersonators have their very little, almost unnoticeable flaws, but I'd like to point out that his squeals are copyable. Inhale screams are very, very easy to use and modulate once you know how to do them.

DeftonesNZ

I'm sure it's possible to do the screams and stuff but I haven't heard anyone pull off Chino's vocals to the same effect it's the combination of all those elements that makes him special . It reminds me of something Stephen said in an interview about liking the mistakes because they just happened in the moment and you couldn't redo if you tried I think Chino vocals are alot like that he is by no means the perfect vocalist technically but it's the smalls imperfections like the cracks and breaks in his voice that make him my favourite he manages to conjure so much emotion with his voice and I don't think anyone can duplicate that no matter how technically trained they are.

Robotsatemygrandma

I'm really digging Denali, didn't even know they existed til this thread lol.

I can hear the similarities, those little nuances (ha!) in their voices.

Bza々

Quote from: Velvet Tongue on Jan 04, 2013, 07:43 PM
oh holy shit.

this will be incredible. O_O

EDIT:
wait, you're just saying it would be incredible if they actually did collaborate.

thanks for nothing.

Ya. Was just trying to imply that the 2 of them together would have made some epic music. It never happened, not sure why. I know Chino liked Denali's music though.

Bza々

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Jan 05, 2013, 12:21 AM
Yeah she's a pretty decent vocalist and she would go will with Chino but as far as being the female version of Chino I would say no, Chino's special because of his almost sweet feminine vocals that pretty much no other male singer can match and all his little squeals and screams that are pretty much not copyable. Maura is good but I'm not seeing a point of uniqueness she sounds just like a typical female vocalist she's good but she hasn't got that point of difference I like in vocalists.

You're entitled to your opinion but I disagree. I rarely come across bands with female lead vocalists that captivate me the way Denali does. Something about her dark, mysterious persona stimulates my synapses in only a way that Chino and his music does. She can go from an extremely low note to some fucking pavarotti type shit in the blink of an eye just like Chino without breaking your trance. She's anything but a typical female vocalist in my opinion. 

Bza々

Quote from: deftoner664 on Dec 28, 2012, 11:31 PM
Can you give any song suggestions?

My favorite Denali songs are: Lose me, Relief, Do Something, Everybody knows, Surface, and Normal Days. My favorite out of those has to be Relief, that song is fucking amazing.

Visitant

"I really can't help it.  It's either this or prison."

Bza々

Deftones-argentina

her voice is my new favourite female voice, thank you very much for sharing this

Bza々

Quote from: Deftones-argentina on Jan 20, 2013, 02:29 PM
her voice is my new favourite female voice, thank you very much for sharing this

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Electron§

I still think Bjork is the vocal female equivalent of Chino. At least tonally, it sounds like they have similar vocal qualities. The styles are mostly completely different though.

But this is a pretty good alternative.

skinnypuppy

does anyone know how to get in touch with her and see what she's up to? she may not even realize how strong of a fan-base she has from afar.

Bza々

Quote from: skinnypuppy on Feb 21, 2013, 11:11 PM
does anyone know how to get in touch with her and see what she's up to? she may not even realize how strong of a fan-base she has from afar.

No clue. She was my friend on Myspace back in like 2007+2008. I looked for her on facebook awhile ago but don't think I found her. I'm sure she has twitter or some shit but I don't fuck with any of that social networking nonsense except G+.

She's definitely aware of her fanbase. She probably just has her own priorities and decided to take an indefinite hiatus. She was in 2 other bands; Ambulette and glos. But those bands didn't produce anything near as epic as Denali.