Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Musical crisis....need new bands I might like

Started by RaptureWS, Jul 22, 2013, 01:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaptureWS

I don't think anyone will be able to help me, but I am going to try. I have spent hours listening to different songs by different bands and I can not find anything I like. I need some suggestions, though I imagine I have heard most stuff people will suggest. Thank you in advance though to everyone that does gimme something to try.

Deftones are my fav band ever of course. Post hardcore is arguably my favorite genre (Glassjaw, Thursday, Finch are some of my fav bands). I also really like We Are Scientist, Imogen Heap, In Flames and Incubus album SCIENCE. My musically taste can vary, but I generally prefer hard rock music and some metal.

I do not like this whole 'metalcore' scene. On paper I should love it. Big breakdowns, catchy choruses...but it just does not work for me. I LOVE Of Mice and Men though, they seem to be the exception. Just enough of an alt-metal feel with choruses that do not sound like everything else in "that" genre.

Letlive has been my saving grace lately but that is only one band. My favorite albums ever are anything Deftones, Glassjaw-Worship and Tribute, Finch-Say Hello To Sunshine, Anberlin-Cities, Thursday-War All The Time, Incubus-SCIENCE, In Flames-Come Clarity.

Nothing that is all screaming, nothing too ambient and slow. Just some good, original ROCK music with catchy hooks and choruses. I love bands with nu metal tendencies, without all the rapping and cheese.

PS-I looked through the last 3 pages of the "What are you listening to" thread and listened to every single band. Nothing there has grabbed my interest. Links to particular songs I should start with would be great. As a gift, here is one of the few bands I have found lately that I simply adore. I think you might too :) The Leopard - June

Any bands like this would be great!!
When people whisper it makes her nervous.

Crazylegs

kurtone

Quote from: RaptureWS on Jul 22, 2013, 01:59 AM
I don't think anyone will be able to help me, but I am going to try. I have spent hours listening to different songs by different bands and I can not find anything I like. I need some suggestions, though I imagine I have heard most stuff people will suggest. Thank you in advance though to everyone that does gimme something to try.

Deftones are my fav band ever of course. Post hardcore is arguably my favorite genre (Glassjaw, Thursday, Finch are some of my fav bands). I also really like We Are Scientist, Imogen Heap, In Flames and Incubus album SCIENCE. My musically taste can vary, but I generally prefer hard rock music and some metal.

I do not like this whole 'metalcore' scene. On paper I should love it. Big breakdowns, catchy choruses...but it just does not work for me. I LOVE Of Mice and Men though, they seem to be the exception. Just enough of an alt-metal feel with choruses that do not sound like everything else in "that" genre.

Letlive has been my saving grace lately but that is only one band. My favorite albums ever are anything Deftones, Glassjaw-Worship and Tribute, Finch-Say Hello To Sunshine, Anberlin-Cities, Thursday-War All The Time, Incubus-SCIENCE, In Flames-Come Clarity.

Nothing that is all screaming, nothing too ambient and slow. Just some good, original ROCK music with catchy hooks and choruses. I love bands with nu metal tendencies, without all the rapping and cheese.

PS-I looked through the last 3 pages of the "What are you listening to" thread and listened to every single band. Nothing there has grabbed my interest. Links to particular songs I should start with would be great. As a gift, here is one of the few bands I have found lately that I simply adore. I think you might too :) The Leopard - June

Good to see someone who appreciates Say Hello to Sunshine by Finch

RaptureWS

Quote from: kurtone on Jul 22, 2013, 09:59 PM

Good to see someone who appreciates Say Hello to Sunshine by Finch

A criminally underrated album. It was not earth shattering, but they tried to push the genre forward more than many did. It fell mostly on deaf ears though. Miles better than WIITB, but maybe 18 people in the universe agree with me on that. Really though I only compare them because it is the same band by name, but in all other respects its like comparing apples to oranges.

kurtone

I definitely prefer it over wiitb. If you haven't heard nates other two bands check them out. Earthbound ghost and reverend crow

nicklav

Sounds like Every Time I Die might be right up your alley. I would recommend Gutter Phenomenon from them. If you like letlive. and Glassjaw you should dig them.

occipudding

Quote from: Crazylegs on Jul 22, 2013, 09:48 AM

Oceansize - Catalyst

this was the song that really spearheaded my search for rock music outside of the punk/hardcore scene.  until then basically the only "rock" bands i really listened to that weren't on a punk rock label were deftones and pumpkins.

in response to RaptureWS, check out North Korea, and if you dig them, you could check out some of the guys' previous band, Envy On The Coast.  One of the North Korea guys is also in DEP.
machete!  meow

people are people

So you say that Incubus SCIENCE is one of your favorite albums, just a correction, It's NOT science, is S.C.I.E.N.C.E.

The acronym S.C.I.E.N.C.E. is as enigmatic as the moustachioed man on the cover. The band has given several contradictory meanings for both the album title and the face of "Chuck", whose image also appears on the cover of the Enjoy Incubus EP. Some of the definitions given are:

'Sailing Catamarans Is Every Nautical Captain's Ecstasy';
'Social Chronology Includes Everyone: Neanderthals, Cannibals, Everyone';
'Southern California's Incubus Enters Nevada Carrying Enstruments'.
"Southern California Indians Eat Nice Cows Everyday"

Because i really believe that you know this, since is one of your favorite albums EVER, the lyrics are pretty obvious in their meaning like any good Fan of Incubus, know it.
( Just playing 8D ) Its one of my favorite too.

This is not my style but as i am here commenting,I remember, i read it somewhere bands like Finch etc...
Check Funeral for a Friend,Senses Fail,Matchbook Romance,A Static Lullaby,Armor for Sleep. Hope you like it.

RaptureWS

Quote from: people are people on Jul 25, 2013, 02:21 AM
So you say that Incubus SCIENCE is one of your favorite albums, just a correction, It's NOT science, is S.C.I.E.N.C.E.

The acronym S.C.I.E.N.C.E. is as enigmatic as the moustachioed man on the cover. The band has given several contradictory meanings for both the album title and the face of "Chuck", whose image also appears on the cover of the Enjoy Incubus EP. Some of the definitions given are:

'Sailing Catamarans Is Every Nautical Captain's Ecstasy';
'Social Chronology Includes Everyone: Neanderthals, Cannibals, Everyone';
'Southern California's Incubus Enters Nevada Carrying Enstruments'.
"Southern California Indians Eat Nice Cows Everyday"

Because i really believe that you know this, since is one of your favorite albums EVER, the lyrics are pretty obvious in their meaning like any good Fan of Incubus, know it.
( Just playing 8D ) Its one of my favorite too.

This is not my style but as i am here commenting,I remember, i read it somewhere bands like Finch etc...
Check Funeral for a Friend,Senses Fail,Matchbook Romance,A Static Lullaby,Armor for Sleep. Hope you like it.

Funny thing is that I almost typed the periods after each letter (I usually do) but I was so eager to post that I decided not to. Thanks for the suggestions, but I have heard all of those bands. In fact, Armor For Sleep is also one of my favorite bands. Their style is almost exactly what I am looking for, and I never understood why they got lumped in with so many emo/screamo bands. Maybe it is just me, but all I hear in Armor For Sleep (at least What to Do and Smile) is an alternative rock band with a touch of emo. I also dig Senses Fail's earlier work. Thanks for the suggestions though!

An bád dubh

After reading these two paragraphs one band and one album from my current playlist came to my mind:

http://youtu.be/j-yzZEfRkNI

The album, Written in the A.M., is post-hardcore from ca 2003. They changed direction after that and made one of the best albums of all time called Stomacher. After which they changed their name to Stomacher.

An bád dubh

Im gonna ask in this thread because I couldnt find a suitable thread for the question:

I heard a song which I do not know, here are the lyrics from the chorus:

"This is nightmare, what is wrong with me, she says to herself quietly, this is nightmare this is not like me, ..."

Sounded like an 80's song, though could be something new as well. Heard on the estonian radio on a holiday trip but didnt sound like an estonian band. Google search with the lyrics came with no results. I liked the song structure and the song itself would like to hear more. Anyone who knows this song or band? Maybe you RaptureWS, as you seem to have heard pretty much every song out there :D

SwerveCityUSA

don't worry about it being new or guitar music. try 40's, 50's, 60's 70's and 80's music from every genre. that should stimulate your brain.
I'm bringing it in with style myself you know it is with ease no sweat