Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

a thread for musicians to talk about gear and cool stuff and learning and playin

Started by mothraw, Sep 15, 2013, 12:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothraw

mothraw

would  be nice if slpeople would present vids and shits from their own bands aswell.
could be really interesting

DeftonesNZ

Anyone got presets to share? guitar rig or pod farm would be good

mothraw

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Sep 15, 2013, 01:01 AM
Anyone got presets to share? guitar rig or pod farm would be good

i do not know much about that kinda stuff ,i guess i´m more an analog guy :-\.
so you are a guitarist?whats your style what kind of band you Play in?

DeftonesNZ

I'm pretty amatuer i'm self taught and just like to play in my free time , don't play in a band at the moment it's really just a hobby I just like to pick up the guitar when I'm not busy with university or other things. I'll play covers or I'll just randomly noodle without my electric plugged in for hours while watching tv, it's the only thing that really clears my mind.When I'm just fucking around I find the style of my playing varies between real heavy chuggy/bouncy stuff to slow team sleep style riffs and alot of post-rock style noodling.

mothraw

cool dude, i am an Autodidact too! i personally think its the purest and best way to experience and learn an Instrument.
well, sometimes i wish i could Play by notes but right in the next Moment i am thinking : fuck it,lets learn it like a Karate kata.

SwerveCityUSA

ya I'm re doing my rig right now, I'd like to make some clips and share some tones. I'm looking for a practice amp right now, I know people use they're computer and I'm totally down with that, but I'm really interested in the marshall JVM 1 watt head, that thing looks sick, the JVM series is the best.
I'm bringing it in with style myself you know it is with ease no sweat

SwerveCityUSA

play belladonna era Anthrax riffs fellas, pure muscle. fun as hell.
I'm bringing it in with style myself you know it is with ease no sweat

mothraw

Yo
My current guitar tuning is c dropped but i wanna experiment on lower tunings.
Could anyone tell me how you tune your 7 string?
Gracias

DeftonesNZ

on my 7 I use self titled tuning (G#C#F#BEG#C#) A tuning (ADGCFAD) or drop A (AEADGBE)

indychinoluv

hey ya'll

Bass player. My 'rig' is:
Fender P-Bass with J pickups
Line 6 300w lowdown Bassamp.
Boss ME50 Multi-effects
Dunlop CryBaby - the wah on the ME50 is horrible, cuts all the lows.

Also have a ESP 5 string. Compared to the Fender, this is a piece of shit.

My main band in Dislocate.
Tuning is dropped half-step down (C#, G#, C#, F#) - Around the Fur Tuning

Dislocate at the Battle of the Bands playing 'Deathroll'. Angus Inn, Lower Hutt.
Dislocate playing 'Malice' live at Medusa, Wellington.

DeftonesNZ

I play Guitar my main guitar now is an Ibanez S8qm TRB, space is really an issue where I am now so I just play through my laptop using a line6 Ux1 interface and monitor speakers,I mainly use the Reaper DAW with a combonation of Guitar Rig 5/Pod Farm and Vst impulse loaders and effects. Also just got an Alesis QX49 keyboard controller because I got Fruity Loops a while ago have started messing around on it, at the moment though i'm all over the place just having fun with exploring, here's a little thing I did today if anyone's interested it's just some simple synths with some variation, also the crackle is meant to be there I was trying to get a warm vinyl type sound to go with the washy synths kind of like Blade Runner. Anybody else got stuff to share or any tips on good vst's?
https://soundcloud.com/acrcmb/synthy

deftones47

I've got a Rogers drum set, a Starcaster fender six string guitar, and a Slammer four string bass. My guitar is currently in standard tuning but I change the tuning a lot. I also really need to replace my bass strings. I got the bass at the end of 2008 and they've had the same strings since.

Actually, I think I should get a new bass because the one I have doesn't really sound that good. I also am considering buying a seven string guitar.

I record my instruments through a PreSonus, but the damn thing only gets recognized by my computer once per reboot. After I put the computer to sleep and wake it up later, it's like the PreSonus isn't even there. It's plugged in and everything too.

DeftonesNZ

Wow same strings since 2008 I would definitely trying it with a fresh set before getting a new bass, I like to replace my strings monthly sometimes it's a bit longer though and if I'm buying a new guitar I will change the strings straight away, after 6 years those strings must be dead as. Also before I got my Ux1 i had some cheap no name thing that did the same thing as your interface it was annoying as fuck but you're one doesn't seem to be a real budget product maybe it's driver issues or something, do you use Asio4All?

deftones47

No, I do not use Asio4All. I've never even heard of that thing, but I just Googled it after I saw your post.

And about the bass, yeah. I was going to replace the strings first. I just want another bass for the different sound, like I said.

DeftonesNZ

Yeah I know that feeling of constantly wanting new gear for different stuff, also just a suggestion if your considering a 7 string it might be good to considering just jumping to the 8 string, I made the decision to get the 7 string over the 8 when I was getting my first extended range guitar but I found it wasn't long before I was wishing I had the 8th string, also I wouldn't purchase a non baritone 7 or 8 again my 7 was a standard 25.5" but my new 8 is 27" and that little bit of extra length really helps you get everything setup nice with good tension and comfortable string gauges.

indychinoluv

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Jan 20, 2014, 05:12 AM
Yeah I know that feeling of constantly wanting new gear for different stuff, also just a suggestion if your considering a 7 string it might be good to considering just jumping to the 8 string, I made the decision to get the 7 string over the 8 when I was getting my first extended range guitar but I found it wasn't long before I was wishing I had the 8th string, also I wouldn't purchase a non baritone 7 or 8 again my 7 was a standard 25.5" but my new 8 is 27" and that little bit of extra length really helps you get everything setup nice with good tension and comfortable string gauges.
Fuck 7 and 8 strings. Max Cavalera only uses 4 and he's one the heaviest out there.

DeftonesNZ

It's not all about being heavy the extra range you get with an 8, it gives you so much extra range to work with, it actually opens a whole new way of playing, for instance you can use the extra low strings to play bass parts while playing your normal guitar piece, but on the other side of things I also love me some heavy distorted guitar and I assure you the 8 sounds much heavier than a 6, sure you don't need the 7 or 8 tob heavy but having played both the 8 just has way more meat to it, I bet if you listened to Max's guitar soloed and an 8 playing solo aswell you'd hear the difference.

indychinoluv

Yeah, I do get where you are coming from and extra range is anyways cool.

But a lot of guitarist's forget that 90% of your tone comes from your picking hand.

Of course there is a tonal difference between an 8 and a 6, but what I am saying is that too many people rely on a 7/8 when they should just learn to palm mute better.

indychinoluv

Just got a new bass rig and (hopefully) finalized my setup.
It is:
Fender P (P & J pickup) tuned C# dropped (C#, G#, C#,F#)
Boss ME 50b
Line 6 750w HD head
2x Line6 4x10 cab's

Took me a long time to decide on the 4x10's - wasn't too sure if I should go 1x 4x10 and 1x 15" to get that massive sound. The dude at the Rockshop in Wellington were getting sick of me, but wanted to get it right.

In the end, the 4x10's gave a better overall sound. Used it the other night opening for Saving Grace (NZ based Hardcore band) and The Heathen Collective (another local band).

the new set up was awesome - didn't drive the amp past 1/4 and the thud was massive.