Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Starlight

Started by Lucky_Me, Jun 13, 2015, 06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky_Me

Could you please help me out with something? I've got a plot for a novel set, but I'd like to know whether it's any good.

The title is 'Starlight' and it revolves around death being unescapable and the qualm of what a possible afterlife would look like. The title refers to stars being dead as we see them and how even the biggest among us will eventualy die. It's absurdistic and surrealalistic, but with the mortality also come lots of scenes about bolidly functions, as they are very ehh... human.

The story is set in 1989, in the USA, where the 19 year-old main character is a technician for a small venue. He's lost his fiancée in a car accident and he's not in touch with his (Polish, deeply religious) family anymore, so one night, he wants to commit suicide. Then he passes out and remembers nothing. He goes to work like every regular night, as he meets the manager of a glam rock band called Supernova. Their manager offers him a job and Danny has no reasons not to go.

On tour, Danny soon realizes that he may have created a more glamourous life of artists and their crew, than it actually is. Still, Danny makes friends, falls in love and has a great time. The touring schedule is very straining for him and he keeps passing out, however, he refuses to tell anyone, because he's too afraid to again lose everything he's got.

Danny overhears a story of a financial fraud and is told by one of the elders to remain silent. As this man starts to abuse him, he sees no reason why not to ask questions; it turns out to be about a young rigger, who died onstage due to the crew's fault. They tampered with the insurance and saved Supernova from bankruptcy by accidentally killing a co-worker.

As the tour prolongs, Danny gets physically and mentally more and more ill. His best friend insists on him seeing a doctor, but Danny isn't having a bit of it, as he's still afraid to lose the life he's always dreamt of. One night, when he's very sick, Danny tells his best friend he was to be a star piano player, until he got involved in a tragic accident and suffered severe concussion. He's been having unconcious spells and hallucinations ever since, just like his idol, Frédéric Chopin. A few nights later, Danny is found dead in his hotel room. His best friend knows it was by either nature or suicide, but because he hates the abusive elder roadie so much, he agrees with the rest of the crew to take revenge on him anyway.

The hallucination fits and dizzy spells that are described throughout the story, are a result of Danny's neurological condition, hence the surrealism. Danny knows there's something wrong in his mind, but he fears getting to know it may ruin his life. 

So, what do you guys think of this?
Eccentricity is but a sophisticated form of insanity.

Yoi Yes Kokan

you need to write this, you basically have a short story where it stands and a good one at that, my advice is to get some get herb and meditate and go for long walks while you write it and you will have a winner.