Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sicario

Quote from: wheresmysnare on Feb 06, 2016, 04:57 PM
Quote from: Heisenberg on Feb 06, 2016, 02:35 PM
Quote from: wheresmysnare on Feb 06, 2016, 12:39 PM
Quote from: ConcealingFate92 on Feb 06, 2016, 05:42 AM
This song is sick!! The way that Chino sings "You'll never be free... Beware..." and then Break into screaming is something that i missed so much in KNY and DE. It's a friendly radio song, yeah,  but it's dark,  it reminded me a lot Of ST/SNW era.

I'm with a good feeling that Gore will be their best album since ST.

problem is when he tries doing that maniacal half screaming thing now it doesn't sound right to me, i imagine he's doing the same vocal technique he used in the MX chorus decades ago - only it now sounds a bit wrong and kind of reminds me of 'the best cry ever'. As someone said i think it would be better if they just let the instrumentals run over this bit.

To me his last real scream was at 2:57 during Leathers. Not that it was on par with the older ones.
RIP Chino Screams: 1995-2012ish.
P.S. I still love the band. I'm just being a nitpicky little bitch right now  ;D

no you're right man, as we all know chino turned screaming into an artform, matching his pitch of scream to the music.... but that was a long time ago and i kinda think he just throws it in there to keep people happy. its like if abe had developed arthritis in his hands from years of drumming it would be weird to hear him try and do fills he can't do anymore and actually release it on a record. I mean even the producer seems to have chucked a shit tonne of effects over chinos screamy bit in prayers and triangles to carry it along.

having said all this im sure ill eat my words and there'll be a track on gore where chino absoutely slays the screaming....

If anyone could prove us wrong it would be these guys. Leathers really impressed me and that scream seemed pretty legit. It doesn't come as naturally as before but he can still pull it off. I have faith. I don't necessarily need screaming to be happy. I just need it to be good when he does it.
Men talk of killing time while time quietly kills them.

Slacker

where i can listen to the new bbc interview?

edit. never mind. found it.

pelican fly

There's a thread for it and a link.

kleptoned

This song is the truth

BillyNo.9

Sounds kinda Don Broco-ish. 2/10

defTHE1s

Prayers/Triangles may sound quite radio friendly but I feel it is heavy enough to not to be aired too often... at least not so aired than Minerva or Change. HITE imo is the most radio friendly song as a single.
At least that's what i thought the other day I was listening to the official audio of the track (and I've also saved it to the future and instead waiting for that single #2 TBA)

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

Inkblades

The only part of the song that is really radio friendly, IMO, is the chorus. The rest of the song is trippy, moody and heavy.

Does anyone else feel like the song rushes to get to the chorus? 45 seconds in, there's a the chorus. I wish there was more of a build to it. That, and I hate how the drums start in the beginning. They sound soft as hell. After all that intro distortion, I want some HARD fucking drums. Other than those quibbles, it's a good song. 4/5.

defTHE1s

Quote from: Inkblades on Feb 06, 2016, 10:13 PM
Does anyone else feel like the song rushes to get to the chorus? 45 seconds in, there's a the chorus.
Yeah, it feels rushed indeed.

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

Reichward

I agree but I'm not surprised. They've done it before (Diamond Eyes).

pelican fly

It works though. The way the bass does its thing more than makes up for a good bit.
I'm trying not to wear out this song, but I think there is more to like than to hate with it .

E-Money

Not crazy about the effects on his screams at the end of the song.. Also kind of wish the song ended with another epic chorus.. Feel like it needs something more at the end.. Still really enjoying it. Burned it to a cd and played it in the car driving down the ocean during sunset and it sounded pretty fucking bad ass. Really pumped for the record.

I also think that this is just the first song they chose for us to hear. Like rocket skates and leathers on the last 2 releases. Dont think this is the first single. Could be wrong. If this is the single we can count on an incredibly lame video... I could see a video for this being awful unfortunately. Hope they do better with that this time around.

N0S3BLEED976

Yeah, it was probably the "street track" of the album like Rocket Skates and Leathers. I bet the first official single is going to be the title track

NYRexall

Quote from: ANattyRat on Feb 06, 2016, 11:22 AM
Quote from: NYRexall on Feb 06, 2016, 06:09 AM
Whoever is designing their merch for them needs to be smacked in the face with a wiffle ball bat. It's the same shit every time, where they just slap a square of artwork on a shirt and charge $30 for it. That sunset hoodie is especially embarrassing.

I can't believe people actually get paid as designers for that shit. I could stick a crayon up my ass, squat over a sheet of paper and come up with better designs than that..

I like the album cover one, I've ordered that. I bought the Koi No Yokan one too, it's a nice album cover. But the sunset one, oh my god, it's like someone just put some clip art on a hoodie. Reminds me of knock-off shirts you get where they just paste a crappy image onto it.

Ah well, they do have some nice merch, but it's horribly expensive now, for some reason. Same as Glassjaw.

It just seems lazy to me. Maybe this is prima donnaesque, but when it's a big square of artwork like that in heavy screened paint, it makes the shirt very uncomfortable and unpleasant to me.

I bought a KNY tour shirt in 2012 that had the tour dates on the back, and the album cover on the front. The screening art almost feels like it's a part of the shirt's fabric; very lightweight and soft. I wash it inside out and it's gotten softer over the years with every cleaning and the artwork hasn't faded a bit. I love its quality

Not sure if what I'm explaining makes sense or not. It's kind of a first world texture issue for me..

deftoner664

God damn, I'm so ready for the new tour to begin, new tracks, and new setlists.. 2016 is going to be a good year for Deftones. And its also nice to see SL alive again.
Sharing Lungs member since Oct 07, 2005 to Present

BillyNo.9

Quote from: deftoner664 on Feb 07, 2016, 12:01 AM
And its also nice to see SL alive again.

So alive

NYRexall

Quote from: Sicario on Feb 06, 2016, 05:30 PMI don't necessarily need screaming to be happy.

Agreed.

I'm actually hoping this is the last Deftones album where Chino screams his ass off on some of the songs. Dude is almost 43 years old; he can't be expected to go out there tour after tour and keep up with songs like Hexagram, Elite and Royal. Hopefully Gore is the album where the band starts shifting into a more lush, melodic sound that forgoes some of the teeth-gnashing for more moody, experimental stuff.

I'm not saying they have to forego the heaviness of their music in any way. I just never even consider Chino's screams as one of the things that makes him one of my favorite singers ever. I certainly don't sit and scrutinize every scream of his like some do. The whole reason why I loved the Crosses album as much as any Deftones album is because it was heavy on his melodies and his actual singing. Does he scream at all on that album, except for the end of Bitches Brew? I barely even noticed.

This is the perfect album -- and time -- for the band to start shifting gears into a heavy, more lush sound that doesn't kill Chino's throat and allows him to finally lean 100% on his gift for melodicism. Anyone who expects him to be shrieking to stuff like When Girls Telephone Boys in his mid-40s needs to let it go..

NYRexall

So while we wait...

Anyone want to take a stab at how the new songs are going to sound, based on their titles and what little information we know right now? I'll take a poke...

1. Prayers/Triangles - Comfortable Deftones album opener with some new twists, setting the tone for what's ahead (i.e. Swerve City, Feitceiria, Hexagram)

2. Acid Hologram - Weird ass Deftones track showcasing the more technical aspects promised on the album (i.e. Digital Bath, 976-Evil)

3. Doomed User - Epic, Minerva-like balladesque track that showcases their love for keyboards and spaciness on the new album

4. Geometric Headdress - Another weird as fuck "technical" song in the vein of 'Poltergeist' or "Dai The Flu"

5. Hearts/Wires - Spacey mind-blowing album ballad such as 'Entombed' or 'AOAUE' were on their respective albums

6. Pittura Infamante - Balls-to-the-wall ass-kicking Deftones rager, showing off their technical prowess and going straight for the throat

7. Xenon - Weird mid-tempo experimental track like 'Xerces' or 'Teenager' that segways into the album's back half

8. (L)MIRL - This could go one of two ways, I'm guessing. It's a warp-speed teeth-gnashing rager in the vein of 'When Girls Telephone Boys' and 'Elite', or it's going to be some funky ass ho-down shit like 'Lucky You' or 'Pink Cellphone'. I'm hoping it's a warped version of the former, if they're including a track that's less than two minutes this deep into the album..

9. Gore - A traditional Deftones throw-down track in the tradition of 'Guaze', 'Korea', and 'Headup' that gets you in position for the album's parting shots

10. Phantom Bride - I bet this really is the one with Cantrell's contribution. Hopefully, it's a fucking dirge-fest like the stuff on AIC's most recent album, with Steph and Jerry's huge riffs lurching along to Abe's drums of doom and Sergio's bottom end, while Chino wails over the top. Then Frank comes in with some mind-blowing keyboard shit that bolsters the long-awaited collaboration into the stratosphere, before...

11. Rubicon - A mind-bending experimental ballad track unlike anything Deftones have ever dropped in their entire career. Basically, I'm hoping this is like KNY's 'What Happened to You', only pushed to its experimental breaking point, with its epic length giving the whole thing plenty of time to spread out and express what the band intended it to

jaypayton

chino still with the clean vocal shit. sounds like an outtake from DE/KNY era.....Chino is spending too much time with that hipster poser shaun lopez...whatever rawness and edge he used to have is completely gone

ANattyRat

Quote from: defTHE1s on Feb 06, 2016, 10:10 PM
Prayers/Triangles may sound quite radio friendly but I feel it is heavy enough to not to be aired too often... at least not so aired than Minerva or Change. HITE imo is the most radio friendly song as a single.
At least that's what i thought the other day I was listening to the official audio of the track (and I've also saved it to the future and instead waiting for that single #2 TBA)

It is quite radio-friendly, but so is any song for the right station. I think them releasing the most straightforward and radio-friendly song is to be expected, really. Nothing too experimental that might cause divisive opinions among the fans. Obviously no-one is going to be in 100% agreement about any song, but as a whole, this is a Deftones song, simple as that. It's going to be well-received as a whole, as opposed to a song like, I don't know, Sextape, or a song like Lovers. You know? Nothing too out-of-the-box. The next song they release will probably be more of a glimpse into the experimental, moody aspect of the album. Just my opinion, of course.

Quote from: NYRexall on Feb 07, 2016, 12:06 AM
Quote from: Sicario on Feb 06, 2016, 05:30 PMI don't necessarily need screaming to be happy.

Agreed.

I'm actually hoping this is the last Deftones album where Chino screams his ass off on some of the songs. Dude is almost 43 years old; he can't be expected to go out there tour after tour and keep up with songs like Hexagram, Elite and Royal. Hopefully Gore is the album where the band starts shifting into a more lush, melodic sound that forgoes some of the teeth-gnashing for more moody, experimental stuff.

I'm not saying they have to forego the heaviness of their music in any way. I just never even consider Chino's screams as one of the things that makes him one of my favorite singers ever. I certainly don't sit and scrutinize every scream of his like some do. The whole reason why I loved the Crosses album as much as any Deftones album is because it was heavy on his melodies and his actual singing. Does he scream at all on that album, except for the end of Bitches Brew? I barely even noticed.

This is the perfect album -- and time -- for the band to start shifting gears into a heavy, more lush sound that doesn't kill Chino's throat and allows him to finally lean 100% on his gift for melodicism. Anyone who expects him to be shrieking to stuff like When Girls Telephone Boys in his mid-40s needs to let it go..

I don't know, I can't blame people for wanting aggression, especially vocally. Chino was (and still is, at least sometimes, in the right moment) an awesome screamer. For a lot of people, they love that absolutely raw aggression mixed in with the beauty and melodic (both musically and vocally). And so do I. I don't have a favourite direction from them, I don't want a super-aggressive album, but I don't want a super-soft album either. I love that mixture that they bring, often even in the same song. I do think Chino is never going to be able to scream like he used to, though, and while that sucks, we have to accept that. Miss it? For sure. But whether it's because he didn't take good enough care of his voice, or because he just isn't as into it anymore, that's just the reality.

Plus he'll still play heavy songs live. They were playing WGTB at their shows recently and he was doing brilliantly, wasn't he?

Quote from: NYRexall on Feb 07, 2016, 12:16 AM
So while we wait...

Anyone want to take a stab at how the new songs are going to sound, based on their titles and what little information we know right now? I'll take a poke...

Good stuff, but those song lengths on Wikipedia haven't been confirmed, so I don't think it's something to go by just yet. (L)MIRL I think is probably going to be very heavy, or quite laidback but dark-sounding. For some reason, I expect a similar feel, lyrically, to Digital Bath. Maybe just because the album is called Gore, it's supposed to be a darker-sounding album, and Let's Meet In Real Life seems like a nice context for a dark themed song, you know?

Reichward

I'm intrigued by LMIRL as well. But I am even more eager to hear the title track, Gore. I expect it to be like a punch in the face. At the beginning of the end of the album, after all these melodic/atmospheric songs (because P/T is clearly not going to be the only one), just something raw and brutal, you know? I would trip on that.