Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitefur

Quote from: 2MoreHours on Mar 11, 2016, 06:47 PM
Quote from: Yoi Yes Kokan on Mar 11, 2016, 06:22 PM
what would he have to sing on top of if he didn't take control? i'm talking about singing, not screaming.

Every song would probably sound like Goon Squad if Stephen was in charge.

Every song would sound like Poltergeist, Prince, S/T, ATF, White Pony.......and it would be fucking awesome.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: whitefur on Mar 12, 2016, 02:30 PM
Quote from: 2MoreHours on Mar 11, 2016, 06:47 PM
Quote from: Yoi Yes Kokan on Mar 11, 2016, 06:22 PM
what would he have to sing on top of if he didn't take control? i'm talking about singing, not screaming.

Every song would probably sound like Goon Squad if Stephen was in charge.

Every song would sound like Poltergeist, Prince, S/T, ATF, White Pony.......and it would be fucking awesome.

White Pony had a heavy Chino influence.  Didn't Stephen even say that he wasn't a fan of that album before it came out?
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

rainnyx4

Stephen is pivotal to the sound of this band, but if he had become the primary songwriter, this band probably would've faded into nu-metal tedium. Without Chino and the other members' pushing and pulling, this band is nothing.

from_musings

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Mar 12, 2016, 04:35 PM
Stephen is pivotal to the sound of this band, but if he had become the primary songwriter, this band probably would've faded into nu-metal tedium.

well.. he did write songs like mascara,be quiet and drive,this place is death etc

N0S3BLEED976

Quote from: from_musings on Mar 12, 2016, 05:25 PM
Quote from: rainnyx4 on Mar 12, 2016, 04:35 PM
Stephen is pivotal to the sound of this band, but if he had become the primary songwriter, this band probably would've faded into nu-metal tedium.

well.. he did write songs like mascara,be quiet and drive,this place is death etc

Yup. I don't believe Stephen necessarily wants to go just heavier. He's definitely capable and interested in writing quieter songs, as well.
When it comes to Gore, I think he just wasn't into the song ideas by Sergio and Chino in general at first, not matter if they were melodic or heavier. We don't know, however, how many of those ideas he didn't like even made it on the record, after all. And even then he did his contributions to the point were everybody in the band was eventually satisfied with the outcome.
I'm pretty confident it will be great.

rainnyx4

It's true he wrote those songs but it's clear that if he had it all his way, the band would likely be less dimensional.

E-Money

Steph has just become so boring since he went to the 8 string IMO. Those early riffs on ATF and WP with the 6 were just so damn good. I know he'll never go back to it but he really wrote his best/heaviest riffs on the 6.

Mos, Lhabia, ATF, BQAD, lotion, MX , damone... God damn those riffs are killer .. What happened !!??

Now we have chug chug. I guess a few have been cool in the last few years.. It sounded like he was experimenting a bit during the Eros sessions.. At least from what we have seen . Hope he branches out on this record.

And I love what he did on smile. That riff is rad.

deftoner664

If Stephen would just study a little bit of music theory he would be able to expand his writing and riffs on the 8 string.Stephen is a "play by ear" guitarist, meaning he write what sounds good and really has no idea what he's doing from a theory perspective. I love his tone and I hope he stays with Drop E on the 8. People like Tosin Abasi write some amazing sounding riffs with that 8 string tuning and I know Stephen can too if he pushes himself.
Sharing Lungs member since Oct 07, 2005 to Present

E-Money

Quote from: deftoner664 on Mar 12, 2016, 08:28 PM
If Stephen would just study a little bit of music theory he would be able to expand his writing and riffs on the 8 string.Stephen is a "play by ear" guitarist, meaning he write what sounds good and really has no idea what he's doing from a theory perspective. I love his tone and I hope he stays with Drop E on the 8. People like Tosin Abasi write some amazing sounding riffs with that 8 string tuning and I know Stephen can too if he pushes himself.

Absolutely. Not saying he's not capable at all. I just feel like his best stuff came from the 6.. To me it's not even close. But like u said he just needs to expand. It sounded like this was happening during the Eros sessions to me...

deftoner664

Quote from: E-Money on Mar 12, 2016, 08:34 PM

Absolutely. Not saying he's not capable at all. I just feel like his best stuff came from the 6.. To me it's not even close. But like u said he just needs to expand. It sounded like this was happening during the Eros sessions to me...
Quote from: E-Money on Mar 12, 2016, 08:34 PM

Agreed man.. His most memorable riffs/songs were on the six. I just think he got too cozy with the 6th 7th and 8th strings of the guitar and that's why he revolves alot of his riffs on the bottom end because Meshuggah does this but they are much more intricate with techniques, time signatures and key changes compared to Stephen's 8 string writing so far. I do have a good feeling about Acid Hologram though, and Doomed User is restoring some hope too from what I heard.

nineteen

I like his style across 6/7/8 strings.

He's so damn original.

pelican fly

This is going to be their best album

deftoner664

Quote from: nineteen on Mar 12, 2016, 09:57 PM

He's so damn original.

Exactly, he has his own creative and unique style. Even in his side projects like Kush and Sol, you can hear his presence there in the music. He may not be no Tosin Abasi but he's my favorite guitarist because of his style and what he's done with extended range guitars throughout his career and Deftones. I never speak with ill intent on Stephen because he has my respect. However, after years of listening and analyzing his playing, I can't help but to speak critically of one of my favorite guitarist.. I'm sure he's gunna kill it on Gore.. Hopefully the next album he'll work out the creative differences with the rest of the band, and get his chance to have his head in the music and some new skills and fresh ideas of his own to blow us away.

pelican fly

I think he just likes what he does and doesn't worry about all that other shit. He makes it sound like he cares about his sound ( especially live ) more than all the technical techniques of how to play. He's done pretty well for himself and he does have a unique sound no matter how simple some people think it is.

I'm sure he could slaughter some shit on that 8 string if he really wanted to and all that, but maybe he's just doing what he likes. Its worked so far.

illthrowROCKS@U

His chord choices are always very unique.  There's definitely real creative talent there, even if he isn't a technical player at all.  His music might be simple to replicate, but remember nothing is simple to create from nothing.

I remember watching a video of a guy who could play every Hendrix song, but just at 10x the speed.  Even so, it doesn't even come close to the creative genius of the original creator. 

Anyone can practice to get good enough to reproduce something.  Whether that something be complicated or not makes no difference.  It's easy for someone to listen to his music and say it's simple, because it's already been created and all they have to do is replicate it.  Come up with something that sounds good from NOTHING and then come talk to me about how "simple" Stephen's riffs are.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

jciraheta

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Mar 13, 2016, 08:12 AM
His chord choices are always very unique.  There's definitely real creative talent there, even if he isn't a technical player at all.  His music might be simple to replicate, but remember nothing is simple to create from nothing.

I remember watching a video of a guy who could play every Hendrix song, but just at 10x the speed.  Even so, it doesn't even come close to the creative genius of the original creator. 

Anyone can practice to get good enough to reproduce something.  Whether that something be complicated or not makes no difference.  It's easy for someone to listen to his music and say it's simple, because it's already been created and all they have to do is replicate it.  Come up with something that sounds good from NOTHING and then come talk to me about how "simple" Stephen's riffs are.

exactly what i was thinking, i am a guitatarrist player who knows some theory and i am suprise how good SC riffs sounds if he doesnt know music theory , ..very weird ...

CarloDefDonno

I don't know if this has already been posted. An astounding cover of Prayers/Triangles by an Italian duo. Thought you might enjoy.

https://youtu.be/bTfoyYX8uh0

N0S3BLEED976

Quote from: CarloDefDonno on Mar 13, 2016, 04:31 PM
I don't know if this has already been posted. An astounding cover of Prayers/Triangles by an Italian duo. Thought you might enjoy.

Yes, but it can't be posted enough. Gorgeous cover!

musteatbrains

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Mar 13, 2016, 05:18 PM
Quote from: CarloDefDonno on Mar 13, 2016, 04:31 PM

Yes, but it can't be posted enough. Gorgeous cover!

The chorus in the cover gave me goosebumps - something that the original did not do.

Freedomsoldier17

I'm not sure if it was Stef or Chino but that lush echoing sound in the verses of Prayers/Triangles has to be one of my favorite specific Deftones sounds ever. Definitely feels to be like a progression from the tune of KNY.