Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky_Me

@Martin I've been a fan of a bunch of bands, but I must say Deftones' communication/marketing is outstandingly bad. I'm a student in this exact field and so I kind of know the ropes, but yeah, I don't think it's Blabbermouth's fault at all. That's just how the tabloids work. It's good to see Steph do some 'damage control', but his tone of voice's been face palm-worthy lately. Hence the media go to town on it, because bad news generally means a lot of publicity. Maybe he even intended to create a tidal wave of concerned rumors, so Gore would be extra, extra interesting. Who knows... ::)

Still, Deftones' communication is awful. Does anyone know where I can apply for an internship? ;D No one seems to respond to messages of any subject... *le sigh* Deftones be Deftones. At least the music's awesome.
Eccentricity is but a sophisticated form of insanity.

Martin

@Lucky_me: That's exactly what I'm getting fed up with; bad news means publicity, so the media jump on it. And it's not just tabloids - and I would have like to think that sites like Blabbermouth are about music more than gossip - it's in papers, on the news, in everything. Fuck all that.
Anyway, I posted that prior to my morning coffee haha...no anger or hate, just more interested in news than gossip.

from_musings

but when the founder of the band and the metalhead in it says he didn't want to play on the album...that can mean a lot musically. could mean it's much softer, that the album is not up to deftones standards according to him, etc. to me those words are more about the sound of the upcoming album,what to expect musically - more that than gossip about personal problems in the band. not blabbermouth's fault. stef's.

pony_01

deftones got their own PR.. so I assume everything on the net is one of the strategy that PR agency does to promote the new album

Martin

Quote from: from_musings on Mar 24, 2016, 12:15 PM
but when the founder of the band and the metalhead in it says he didn't want to play on the album...that can mean a lot musically. could mean it's much softer, that the album is not up to deftones standards according to him, etc. to me those words are more about the sound of the upcoming album,what to expect musically - more that than gossip about personal problems in the band. not blabbermouth's fault. stef's.

Fair enough, I found that very interesting too. But since then, there's been quite a few articles about mostly that and the perpetuated rumor that they might break up.

Lucky_Me

@Martin, @from_musings, @pony_01: Hear, hear! Y'all are preaching to the choir. Personally, as a communication expert in the making, I think Deftones should be given a basic training in how to be media savvy. Steph's communication style has been awful this cycle and then of course sites like Blabbermouth will be on it like vultures on a carcass. Especially Stephen needs to be more positive and less grouchy, IMHO. The way he's been talking about Gore makes me wonder whether he lives in a trash can in some very famous Street.

Tabloids will be tabloids. They're the scavengers of media land and they'll never resort to posting actual news, because there are plenty of (online and paper) magazines which already do that. Steph should stop feeding the trolls and all Deftones should work on their media -and fan-related communication, as their marketing and PR-style is just lazy and unprofessional. I swear, a monkey with a typewriter could've done a better job promoting the album. It's such a shame, as Deftones make awesome music and they're great guys. They just seem to have not the slightest clue of how to put themselves out there. :-\

LG95

Quote from: Lucky_Me on Mar 24, 2016, 12:30 PM
@Martin, @from_musings, @pony_01: Hear, hear! Y'all are preaching to the choir. Personally, as a communication expert in the making, I think Deftones should be given a basic training in how to be media savvy. Steph's communication style has been awful this cycle and then of course sites like Blabbermouth will be on it like vultures on a carcass. Especially Stephen needs to be more positive and less grouchy, IMHO. The way he's been talking about Gore makes me wonder whether he lives in a trash can in some very famous Street.

Tabloids will be tabloids. They're the scavengers of media land and they'll never resort to posting actual news, because there are plenty of (online and paper) magazines which already do that. Steph should stop feeding the trolls and all Deftones should work on their media -and fan-related communication, as their marketing and PR-style is just lazy and unprofessional. I swear, a monkey with a typewriter could've done a better job promoting the album. It's such a shame, as Deftones make awesome music and they're great guys. They just seem to have not the slightest clue of how to put themselves out there. :-\
Alternatively, they don't give a shit about it, at least in the case of Stef; I'm fairly certain he's not that bothered, hence why he'll willingly do an interview like that in the first place. It's just how he is and why I don't think he's the type to do a desperate saving face recovery afterwards. He's just honest.
I could float here forever

Lucky_Me

@LG95: I get you, though what you call 'honesty' is a huge reputation killer. The music industry wasn't set up for honest people, so you've got to work on your image. Who knows, Deftones could've still been White Pony-big by now, but it's just depressing how they don't seem to give a fuck. Tabloids could make or break your career; not giving a fuck can be a good thing, though this interview's had a negative effect on their fan base as well and eventually, we're the people providing their career.

Regardless of honesty or giving a fuck about one's reputation, Deftones should pay more attention to their fans, I think. They're very sweet when you meet them, but that's all. From my point of view, it'd be a good thing if they'd not only pay more attention to marketing/PR, but also to fan base management. Of course, that's my professional pet topic, however, Stephen's 'honesty' comes across to me as unprofessional and cold. These guys need to reach out more and Steph needs to lose the attitude. Do you guys agree with me?

LG95

Quote from: Lucky_Me on Mar 24, 2016, 01:15 PM
@LG95: I get you, though what you call 'honesty' is a huge reputation killer. The music industry wasn't set up for honest people, so you've got to work on your image. Who knows, Deftones could've still been White Pony-big by now, but it's just depressing how they don't seem to give a fuck. Tabloids could make or break your career; not giving a fuck can be a good thing, though this interview's had a negative effect on their fan base as well and eventually, we're the people providing their career.

Regardless of honesty or giving a fuck about one's reputation, Deftones should pay more attention to their fans, I think. They're very sweet when you meet them, but that's all. From my point of view, it'd be a good thing if they'd not only pay more attention to marketing/PR, but also to fan base management. Of course, that's my professional pet topic, however, Stephen's 'honesty' comes across to me as unprofessional and cold. These guys need to reach out more and Steph needs to lose the attitude. Do you guys agree with me?
Again though, I don't think Stef gives a shit, nor do the rest of the band. They've got a very solid fanbase, they're very satisfied with where they're at and nobody who is a fan of the band is going to stop paying attention to them or not buy the new record because of that interview. That sort of thing has no impact on their career at this point so why care? I certainly don't, which is why I really wasn't that bothered when the interview came out because I know that's how Stef is.

Lucky_Me

@LG95: You're right, that's true. I've only been a fan since about spring 2012, so I don't know the ropes quite well yet. I used to be an active fan base member of Linkin Park and they've influenced my outlook on fan base management and fandom very heavily. Linkie Boppers are very different from you guys, though. No shit, those kids are... kind of scary. :-X If Chester would've given an interview like this, the whole fan club would've been in hysterics. I shit you not, some of those kids are sick in the head. Poor gurmies... :-\

Now I remember why I like Deftones: they don't have to give a fuck about me, they just do. ::) They go straight against my professional view, but as a fan, I've never been treated any better. From the first minute of my first concert, back in early 2013, I felt welcome. What's crazy is that they don't even charge for a hi-and-bye and you're able to see them 'in the wild', like by the bus. I love that about them. They're too sweet. I've never met a band who came across so genuine and caring, without having to pay for their attention.

On topic, maybe this is the best for Deftones' fan base, because most of their fans seem to be fine with Steph's approach and they also seem to have a 'Deftones be Deftones' attitude going on. They'll buy their album, complain about it either way, attend shows and wait by the bus. Why change a winning team indeed? You're absolutely right, dude, however, bad communication will always be one of my pet peeves. This is just a different kind of fan community than I'm used to I suppose, and a different style of band-fan interaction.

hockball26

I guess I would like to know what deftones need to do to "reach out more"?  They provide the fans with new music in a timely fashion (unlike another one of my favorite bands), they tour alot and give interviews to keep people aware of what is happening with the band. 

And as far as being reputation killers...when deftones became white pony big they turned into a band of drunks and drug users that caused them to have years of in-fighting and stressed out recording. 

I think saying that "they dont seem to give a fuck" is a little much.  They wouldnt be doing this if they didnt want to.

hockball26

Ever heard of Waldrock when deftones were White Pony big.  Yikes bro

LG95

Quote from: hockball26 on Mar 24, 2016, 01:50 PM
I guess I would like to know what deftones need to do to "reach out more"?  They provide the fans with new music in a timely fashion (unlike another one of my favorite bands), they tour alot and give interviews to keep people aware of what is happening with the band. 

And as far as being reputation killers...when deftones became white pony big they turned into a band of drunks and drug users that caused them to have years of in-fighting and stressed out recording. 

I think saying that "they dont seem to give a fuck" is a little much.  They wouldnt be doing this if they didnt want to.
All that's been said is that they don't give a fuck about extending their careers or getting bigger. Of course they care about the band - that Kerrang feature highlights that massively - but they're not one of those bands that wants to become more popular, that wants to headline the big festivals etc. They're perfectly happy where they are, which is absolutely fine.

Lucky_Me

@hockball26: I get you, though it doesn't have to be that way. Besides, they were young hounds and facing a lot of troubles probably... I can't judge that, as I was but a kid by then and not yet a fan. I know the stories, but I haven't experienced that era with them. It should've been depressing, though.

I used to live like an hour away from Waldrock. ;D My parents took me there in 2007 to see Within Temptation, as it was my second festival ever. My first was Pinkpop of that year and that's where I saw the guys (Linkin Park) for the first time. I remember Messhuggah and Destruction very well, haha. ;) It was an awesome festival, but I do know about Deftones' infamous performance there.

What I'd love them to do, is to be more involved with their fan base. I want to see in-studio footage, funny videos, responses on this board, whatever. M&Gs (or hi-and-byes) are okay for some people, though I refuse to pay for someone's company, unless it's for erotic purposes. Besides gigs and merchiandise, they could think of a lots of ways to surprise their fan base now and then. On the other hand, when it becomes a 'have-to', it takes away the genuine element from the experience and that'd be a shame. A bit more involvement in the fan base in general and just a tad more promotional hoopla should be fine. I'd gladly help them out! :)

Still, you're not hearing me complain about the way they treat their fans. Hands down, cudos and lots of love for these guys. I'm not just a star sucker for anyone who is able to hold a bass, but these guys are amazing and I'm proud to kiss their fat asses. ;D Maybe their sweetness should remain exclusive... hmm, let me think about that. It'd be a great research topic. Let me get back to this, I'm reading your posts. :)

pelican fly

Hope we get the song that was left off on a single or something. Can't believe the album is only 2 weeks away.

hockball26

@Lucky_Me: I hear you man.  I guess Im in a different space since I got into them when they were pretty unknown before Around the Fur dropped and saw they many many times over the AFT-WP-S/T era.  Which was some of the best shit ever. Got to meet them and shit a few times outside the Rave in Milwaukee and they were fucking great.  I guess maybe that still resonates with me seeing one of my favorite bands in a tiny Milwaukee spot in 98 grow into this fucking monster and perform on the massive stage at Rock in Rio 01.

I hear what youre saying because they have the music to be something more.

Lets see what Gore provides the world.  Cant wait.

from_musings

What stef really meant:

Quote from: Stef

"I didn't want to play on the record hearts/wires to begin with."

"I look at all the songs on the record hearts/wires and they were all it was a challenge for me to get into."

2MoreHours

I was just reading the youtube comments for the Doomed User vid and someone said the full album was uploaded on youtube last night but removed this morning.  He said he could see why Steph ended up liking Hearts/Wires.  He said the album was good.  I hope it comes back up today.

from_musings

Quote from: 2MoreHours on Mar 24, 2016, 02:53 PM
I was just reading the youtube comments for the Doomed User vid and someone said the full album was uploaded on youtube last night but removed this morning.  He said he could see why Steph ended up liking Hearts/Wires.  He said the album was good.  I hope it comes back up today.

he heard the entire album? it was up at least 45-50 minutes, and noone ripped it?

i call bullshit too

Reichward

Quote from: 2MoreHours on Mar 24, 2016, 02:53 PM
This could be bullshit too. Were there other people claiming that they've heard the album? Anyhow if it's genuine then it should be back online soon enough.