Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaptureWS

Quote from: DFTNSHXGRM on Apr 04, 2016, 07:51 AM
Am I the only one who completely adores this album, but can't quite figure out just how much I love it yet?!

Maybe?  I keep listening to it, over and over....each time I find myself with these huge random grins at different times. I have adored every single Deftones album, but like all albums you find tracks you love more than others and eventually(weeks,months) the weaker tracks become skippable. You can feel those tracks coming within the first few days but they are new, awesome and for now you listen to them. You obviously LOVE your favorite tracks and find those quickly too.

With each spin of Gore, I fall more and more in love with not only my preferred tracks but also the ones I initially considered weaker. If I had to predict, I think Gore could end up being my 2nd fav album right behind ATF. What is weird though is that with each passing moment I feel it getting closer and closer to ATF.....
Deftones are my absolutely favorite band and music is my passion. Surely an album that is so unlike Deftones could be BETTER than, well, the Deftones I love, right? Not sure if that makes sense but I tried.

Basically, my love for this album continues to grow and with each listen I think more and more that this isn't new album excitement: this could end up becoming my favorite album of all time. Too early to say that for sure I know.......but I haven't even heard the HQ version and this album has engulfed my soul unlike anything I can remember. Fuck I love music and I love Deftones!
When people whisper it makes her nervous.

RaptureWS

Another thing.......do you guys ever have dreams of music that you have never heard of before? Music that just feels perfect? I have. Sometimes I can remember it but usually not. I am not a musician either so even if I remember it I have no way to replicate it. Listening to Gore (especially on the very first spin) is/was similar to the feeling of those dreams. Like I am hearing music that is almost perfect.

I have always been this passionate. I talk/type a lot, overanalyze shit, get hyped about things I enjoy, etc. That's why I love this place. Even though my intensity can be really annoying to a lot of people and others simply think I am "weird", I usually get a pass because it's all about Deftones. I've been through 6 new Deftones album releases now and I am not sure any of their albums have had this much of an impact on me. As passionate as I am, I am good about not overstating things (in my mind anyways) and keeping things in context. If I don't enjoy something as much as I hoped then I will admit it. I won't make myself believe something that isn't true. Gore just really is that great to me. I can't wait to get the HQ version and learn the lyrics :)
When people whisper it makes her nervous.

Inkblades

Quote from: NYRexall on Apr 04, 2016, 07:20 AM
Quote from: Inkblades on Apr 04, 2016, 06:33 AM
Chino's melodies were really reminding me of Weiland on a couple tracks. Dunno why.

Any particular STP songs that came to mind? I'm legit curious here..

Some of the big hits on Purple. Definitely the bridge on Vasoline, where it's kind of catchy, soaring vocals over grungy guitars. Parts of Geometric, Pittura, Xenon and Gore seemed particularly STPish to me.

redeemer96

Quote from: Entombed on Apr 04, 2016, 06:09 AM
I worked some EQ magic and I am impressed with how much better it sounds.
I was playing around with the eq to increase the base nd amp output nd it made a huge difference with the listening experience, makes songs like acid hologram more enjoyable

ToneDef

So I just downloaded a leak. Took me a while to find. I've listened to the whole thing with headphones. And I'm completely disappointed.

Have I missed something? It has to be a poor quality leak, right? I mean it's hurting me to say this but Chino sounds terrible. And everything is just so... Boring? His voice in particular is placed right in the center in near enough every song. It's very undisguised too which isn't good for the guy nowadays, obviously.

If someone could just confirm I'm missing something, that'd be great as this is my band. Being disappointed on a first listen can not happen. You're all saying such good things about it too.

ANattyRat

Quote from: ToneDef on Apr 04, 2016, 08:38 AM
So I just downloaded a leak. Took me a while to find. I've listened to the whole thing with headphones. And I'm completely disappointed.

Have I missed something? It has to be a poor quality leak, right? I mean it's hurting me to say this but Chino sounds terrible. And everything is just so... Boring? His voice in particular is placed right in the center in near enough every song. It's very undisguised too which isn't good for the guy nowadays, obviously.

If someone could just confirm I'm missing something, that'd be great as this is my band. Being disappointed on a first listen can not happen. You're all saying such good things about it too.

It's a vinyl rip, so yeah, it is poor quality. But I can't speak for your opinions, I think he sounds excellent, and the whole album is exciting for me, none of the songs I consider to be boring, although some definitely need multiple listens to digest.

redeemer96

So as much as Ive enjoyed this album after multiple listens there are some nuances to it. the songs are all over the place for me. unlike most people i find PT pretty decent even tho its repetitive, Im really in love with the guitars. The following 3 songs are just as good if not a little better, I wish GH would be a little bit heavier. Then HW follows nd has one of the best song intros imo, really outstanding nd well placed.
However, the next few songs feel like fillers to me. PI's main chorus sounds like something from another band like smashing pumpkins nd almost out of place in the album, couldve been better. Xenon has a qotsa vibe to it nd sounds great but sounds a little numb nd monotone. Lmirl starts off amazing nd is decent overall but then turns into a different song nd the "hey"s ruin it for me.
The final 3 songs are the highlights to me. I think Gore would be a must to play live, cant get enough of it. PB is probably my favorite nd stands out the most to me. Even tho its different than anything theyve done, it feels like its a song theyve been longing to make nd I feel the most emotion from. Nd then the closure, Rubicon, is the best outro song from any album nd has the some of the best lyrics by these guys which makes me want to come back for more.
I really love this album, just wish the 3 fillers were a bit different but Im sure others will appreciate them more than myself nd I can respect that. Theres so much diversity here its easy for people have such varying opinions between tracks nd I like that. I can see how people compare this with SNW which was their most experimental album until this nd I find this album better. Itll be a while before I know where to place this album among the rest, with 8 great albums its hard to choose. But as Ive stated before KNY will probably stand out as my all time favorite since I still get a kick out of it 4 years later, but only time will tell.
My stand out tracks are Gore, Rubicon, nd Phantom Birde.
Overall 4.25/5 (may change by friday)

ToneDef

I don't really know what to say.

phil for real

Idk bro.  I love the album.  I could see how it could take awhile to grow on some people.  A big left turn from the band here and def going in a diff direction.  Tons of layers in all the songs.  So much going on.  I discover new things with each listen.

LG95

It's a crap quality vinyl rip. Don't go making any negative conclusions, engineering/mix wise especially, until the best quality versions come out. The 'official' version of Hearts/Wires sounds much better than the vinyl rip.
I could float here forever

StaminaDaddy

rats rats rats on this forum that can't simply wait to judge the official copy

phil for real

Quote from: LG95 on Apr 04, 2016, 09:07 AM

It's a crap quality vinyl rip. Don't go making any negative conclusions, engineering/mix wise especially, until the best quality versions come out. The 'official' version of Hearts/Wires sounds much better than the vinyl rip.

It does sound better, but I mean, will it make that much of a difference?  I mean, you can hear the songs from the vinyl rip.  It's not like they're pure static lol.  I know obviously it will sound better and more crisp, but this leak is good enough to be able to tell you if you like the album or not lol.

ToneDef

Quote from: StaminaDaddy on Apr 04, 2016, 09:08 AM
rats rats rats on this forum that can't simply wait to judge the official copy

Oh, I see what you did there...

Get your shit together, mate. It's a record, not the birth of a child. Obviously it's not the final version but still the quality is so bad that I'm hoping it's just that that's tainting the listen.

ToneDef

Quote from: phil for real on Apr 04, 2016, 09:09 AM

It does sound better, but I mean, will it make that much of a difference?  I mean, you can hear the songs from the vinyl rip.  It's not like they're pure static lol.  I know obviously it will sound better and more crisp, but this leak is good enough to be able to tell you if you like the album or not lol.

In that case I'm really gutted. I'll try again when it comes out maybe. I feel really weird, you know? I started out with that smile I always get with the first listen and it just faded with each song. I need to listen in the car or something.

shoop

Can't believe everyone seems to be playing the shit out of that piss poor vinyl rip. Just wait until better quality arrives. If you can't tell much of a difference, then you must be listening to this on some shit like a laptop or something ridiculous. Play this on decent spears and the difference between the official releases so far compared to the current rip are worlds apart. To the point where even i'm holding off after already listening to the album a few times the other day.

ToneDef

The thing is the dynamics are so important. So in the version I got, the two initial tracks that have been around for a while on YouTube, they sounded great. Everything else sounded so flat. If that's just a quality issue then I can at least know that hearing them sounding the same quality as the initial tracks will be different.

LG95

Quote from: shoop on Apr 04, 2016, 09:17 AM
Can't believe everyone seems to be playing the shit out of that piss poor vinyl rip. Just wait until better quality arrives. If you can't tell much of a difference, then you must be listening to this on some shit like a laptop or something ridiculous. Play this on decent spears and the difference between the official releases so far compared to the current rip are worlds apart. To the point where even i'm holding off after already listening to the album a few times the other day.
That's basically what I've done - I listened to it about three times yesterday morning and I haven't listened to it since, apart from the Spotify version of Hearts/Wires. Cannot wait to listen to this in pristine quality.

LG95

Quote from: phil for real on Apr 04, 2016, 09:09 AM

Not enjoying this specific rip of the album on first listen does not mean you won't come around to like it though. There's definitely a pretty huge difference in terms of sound between the official release of H/W and the leaked version for example. The sound quality of it will be a lot less flat in the release.

77years

4:25 in the morning Central US time. Woke up just to hear the H/W Spotify release. 

Damn almighty what a track

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: shoop on Apr 04, 2016, 09:17 AM
Can't believe some people can't tell it's lossy sounds like crap on proper speakers and headphones, less obvious on shitty laptop speakers, I've still been thrashing it though but I think I'm gonna stop until higher quality is available.