Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

77years

Xenon chorus. That is all

BallZDeeP

Im loving more of the songs i wasnt diggin right off the bat. Come on Friday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pinata89

Yes, friday can't come soon enough!

SCUM

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Apr 04, 2016, 09:38 PM
Don't really get all of the S/T comparisons. Really this album shares more in common with SNW, DE, and KNY than anything else.

But in reality, it doesn't share a whole lot with any of their albums. The actual music sounds more like a mixture of 80's and early 90's metal/grunge/alternative, shoegaze, and a tiny bit of space-rock.

I also keep seeing a lot of comparisons to Quicksand. I'd say out of pretty much all of their albums (outside the fact that Sergio is on it) this is one of the album with the least post-hardcore influence. Post-hardcore would be more like Adrenaline and ATF (and of course Hole in the Earth which is Quicksand worship).

i can see it being like SNW..but the weirdness of self titled reminds me of what's on gore. i felt like the last two albums lacked serious weirdness. that doesn't mean they were bad in anyway..i just missed the dark weirdness that self titled carried

pinata89

Quote from: SCUM on Apr 04, 2016, 10:02 PM
Don't really get all of the S/T comparisons. Really this album shares more in common with SNW, DE, and KNY than anything else.

But in reality, it doesn't share a whole lot with any of their albums. The actual music sounds more like a mixture of 80's and early 90's metal/grunge/alternative, shoegaze, and a tiny bit of space-rock.

I also keep seeing a lot of comparisons to Quicksand. I'd say out of pretty much all of their albums (outside the fact that Sergio is on it) this is one of the album with the least post-hardcore influence. Post-hardcore would be more like Adrenaline and ATF (and of course Hole in the Earth which is Quicksand worship).

i can see it being like SNW..but the weirdness of self titled reminds me of what's on gore. i felt like the last two albums lacked serious weirdness. that doesn't mean they were bad in anyway..i just missed the dark weirdness that self titled carried
Agreed

cvthedrv

sometimes it feels like palms songs.

SCUM

i also think rubicon has become one of my top 5 fav deftones songs.

pinata89

Quote from: SCUM on Apr 04, 2016, 10:05 PM
i also think rubicon has become one of my top 5 fav deftones songs.
Rubicon is such a great closer. Prob my fav on the album, if i had to pick right this second.

The homage to S/T with the "crowd goes wild" lyrics. Gives me cold chills in a good way

Moz

So I realise its still the honeymoon phase (the record isnt even out yet for gods sake) and keep in mind this is just my opinion (no need to get offended by some of the things im going to say), but Gore for me is the third solid classic by deftones. Right next to ATF and WP.

How I can tell?

Cause its the first record of them since those two albums I really want to keep listening from front to back without skipping anything or getting bored by anything. It feels like these songs on Gore are all made of the same type of material so to speak, but each song shows a different side or shade of the same object. Maybe sounds a bit abstract but thats how I feel and how I still feel about ATF and WP after all these years.

So ST was great but FOR ME it kinda stumbles in the second half beginning with Battle Axe a bit and it never quite picks up again. I seriously love the first half and I appreciate the diversity in the discography the second half brings to the table but it just doesnt capture me as much. Now SNW was always a mixed bag for me, sorry, but thats the way it is for me. Especially the flow of the record feels all wrong to me, Beware and Cherry slow the record soooo much down, it gets a kick in the ass with Mein but then slows down again with Xerces, finally picking up after that for a killer finale.

I like Diamond Eyes very much, used to be behind WP and ATF for me before Gore came out, but I have to be honest, these days I usually put on another deftones record after Rocket Skates or sometimes after Sextape is finishes. For me the last part of the albums slows down a bit too much. KNY is a strange one, it definitely flows well which is why I usually listen it from front to back, but I do have to admid that it lacks a certain punch for me in places, I guess I think the song structures are a bit too predictable and traditional on that album. Still love it.

But with Gore, and like I said I know Im still in the honeymoon phase but I have a feeling my opinion is going to stay the same as that usually is that way with music for me, with Gore I really love love looove the flow of the record and the layers in each song, the way the couplets, bridges and choruses all sound so different within songs. It starts out with a bang imo with P/T, in my mind relatively basic like the title song on Diamond Eyes but much more creative, into the shoegaze smashing pumpkins dreamscape that is Acid Hologram. That song has perhaps my favorite part of the record after the first chorus, the way the music suddenly turns dark with Frank's effects and Chino's altered voice, reaaaally makes me think of the creativity of WP, like on Feiticeira, Elite and RX Queen you hear all these new strange sounds and altered singing.

Then Doomed User comes on and its really another high point for me, sounds like a hard song but with a twisty sound, whereas since SNW i havent heard a 'hard' song of deftones that had this much creativity. Geometric Headdres is a trip, sometimes also makes me imagine some egyptian landscape or something like someone here mentioned, into the very emotional and Chance-beating H/W. Now the next three songs have me the most challenged right now, They are the only ones I cant remember the melodies from on the top of my head, all I know is they give me a very summerish vibe, also some Far / Jonah and STP influences but in a deftones way I guess. True because I dont know these songs that good yet they could become the weak point I was talking about earlier but I dont think so, they sound very good and Im sure it will be rewarding to finally make them completely click in my head after a few more listens. The last trio of songs, Gore, Phantom and Rubicon, are the absolute best closing trio I have ever heard from deftones apart from maybe Passenger/Change/Pink Maggit but truly I think these new ones win. Gore is beautiful and dirty, earning its name as the title track, PB is veeery soothing and new for them and Rubicon might become my favorite closing song from them. Its just so epic, beautiful and almost feels like a closing song for the entire band, not just this record, although I hope not of course.

So there you have it, this is why TO ME it feels like this will become the third real classic from deftones for me, i cant explain it better than this. I mean most bands should be thankful to deliver 1 true classic but three (or perhaps more for some - i know this place has a lot of ST and SNW fans- is just insane.

Thank you, that is all

rainnyx4

There wasn't anything that weird on S/T (save for Lucky You and Anniversary, which I both loved and would like to see that kind of stuff reincorporated). It was lazy, if that's what you guys call weird. I get the darkness of S/T, certainly not the weirdness.

I can see the Palms comparisons in Chino's vocals though.

Whitest Pony

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Apr 04, 2016, 10:09 PM
There wasn't anything that weird on S/T (save for Lucky You and Anniversary, which I both loved and would like to see that kind of stuff reincorporated). It was lazy, if that's what you guys call weird. I get the darkness of S/T, certainly not the weirdness.

Ummmmmm, Pink Cellphone is fucking weird!

rainnyx4

Verse guitar riff of Doomed User reminds  me of that song Chino did with Strife. I guess there's the hardcore connection for this album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S8-dPEtsTI

SCUM

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Apr 04, 2016, 10:09 PM

deathblow, moana , pins and needles (lead bass is fucking weird to me) and battle axe because it was the first "heavy" song chino played on.

SCUM

Quote from: Moz on Apr 04, 2016, 10:08 PM
So I realise its still the honeymoon phase (the record isnt even out yet for gods sake) and keep in mind this is just my opinion (no need to get offended by some of the things im going to say), but Gore for me is the third solid classic by deftones. Right next to ATF and WP.

How I can tell?

Cause its the first record of them since those two albums I really want to keep listening from front to back without skipping anything or getting bored by anything. It feels like these songs on Gore are all made of the same type of material so to speak, but each song shows a different side or shade of the same object. Maybe sounds a bit abstract but thats how I feel and how I still feel about ATF and WP after all these years.

So ST was great but FOR ME it kinda stumbles in the second half beginning with Battle Axe a bit and it never quite picks up again. I seriously love the first half and I appreciate the diversity in the discography the second half brings to the table but it just doesnt capture me as much. Now SNW was always a mixed bag for me, sorry, but thats the way it is for me. Especially the flow of the record feels all wrong to me, Beware and Cherry slow the record soooo much down, it gets a kick in the ass with Mein but then slows down again with Xerces, finally picking up after that for a killer finale.

I like Diamond Eyes very much, used to be behind WP and ATF for me before Gore came out, but I have to be honest, these days I usually put on another deftones record after Rocket Skates or sometimes after Sextape is finishes. For me the last part of the albums slows down a bit too much. KNY is a strange one, it definitely flows well which is why I usually listen it from front to back, but I do have to admid that it lacks a certain punch for me in places, I guess I think the song structures are a bit too predictable and traditional on that album. Still love it.

But with Gore, and like I said I know Im still in the honeymoon phase but I have a feeling my opinion is going to stay the same as that usually is that way with music for me, with Gore I really love love looove the flow of the record and the layers in each song, the way the couplets, bridges and choruses all sound so different within songs. It starts out with a bang imo with P/T, in my mind relatively basic like the title song on Diamond Eyes but much more creative, into the shoegaze smashing pumpkins dreamscape that is Acid Hologram. That song has perhaps my favorite part of the record after the first chorus, the way the music suddenly turns dark with Frank's effects and Chino's altered voice, reaaaally makes me think of the creativity of WP, like on Feiticeira, Elite and RX Queen you hear all these new strange sounds and altered singing.

Then Doomed User comes on and its really another high point for me, sounds like a hard song but with a twisty sound, whereas since SNW i havent heard a 'hard' song of deftones that had this much creativity. Geometric Headdres is a trip, sometimes also makes me imagine some egyptian landscape or something like someone here mentioned, into the very emotional and Chance-beating H/W. Now the next three songs have me the most challenged right now, They are the only ones I cant remember the melodies from on the top of my head, all I know is they give me a very summerish vibe, also some Far / Jonah and STP influences but in a deftones way I guess. True because I dont know these songs that good yet they could become the weak point I was talking about earlier but I dont think so, they sound very good and Im sure it will be rewarding to finally make them completely click in my head after a few more listens. The last trio of songs, Gore, Phantom and Rubicon, are the absolute best closing trio I have ever heard from deftones apart from maybe Passenger/Change/Pink Maggit but truly I think these new ones win. Gore is beautiful and dirty, earning its name as the title track, PB is veeery soothing and new for them and Rubicon might become my favorite closing song from them. Its just so epic, beautiful and almost feels like a closing song for the entire band, not just this record, although I hope not of course.

So there you have it, this is why TO ME it feels like this will become the third real classic from deftones for me, i cant explain it better than this. I mean most bands should be thankful to deliver 1 true classic but three (or perhaps more for some - i know this place has a lot of ST and SNW fans- is just insane.

Thank you, that is all

100% feel the same way. right now it's a tie between WP/ATF and gore is creeping past self titled for me

beaverwithfishyshoes

BlackDiamondSkye

I find this album so different than anything they've done. Lol I definitely hear the Palms inspired riffing and singing coming from Chino. The weirdest song for me is (L)mirl, I need to listen to it more but it shifts and changes so much.

gwenudo

This album keeps making me want to listen to it over and over and over again without any skips. This hasnt happened since S/T .. Damn its good

Was it like it seemed?...

Longstem

Quote from: SCUM on Apr 04, 2016, 10:02 PM

Agree, I have the same feeling with two last albums. Not bad but something is missing...'weirdness' would describe that.

cvthedrv

somebody has info about the quantity of each viny pressings

cvthedrv

Quote from: cvthedrv on Apr 04, 2016, 10:54 PM
somebody has info about the quantity of each viny pressing?