Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoop

Quote from: play on Apr 05, 2016, 05:14 AM
Quote from: shoop on Apr 05, 2016, 05:08 AM
Whoever mentioned remembering 96 and 128kbps quality way back, funny I was just thinking about that. I think one of the first times I heard Deftones was a 96kbps rip of Engine #9 from some fan site or something, Napster & Kazaa and all those weren't even around yet. Then in middle school, I was that dude telling everyone "dude you got the 128kbps, that's bad quality man" or "this is a demo" and no one gave a shit lol. It was all the same to everyone else. I'm not even sure I ever remember seeing any lossless around back then, or very very rarely at least. Anyone remember the extremely shitty RealMedia files? Really tiny video stream, shit quality lol. Good times..

Hey man I'm really interested in specifics of the quality of this vinyl.
I really want to listen to the thing in full tonight, because I'm traveling tomorow. Tonight was the night I thought a good quality rip would surface haha my bad.

Are there distortions? Sound clipping? Cuts of any of the songs? Is the bass completely missing in some parts?
Or is it just really compressed or something.

Thoughts?
It was bad enough for me that it bugged me out after 2 whole listens. It's incredibly annoying having it right here and restraining myself from listening to it until a proper rip comes along soon.  I suppose it depends how well you like to have good quality audio, and how good your speakers are. There's a ton missing though in the vinyl rip. The official Hearts/Wires for example sounds wayyy bigger than the rip. I assume you've heard at least P/T already? Just compare the audio on each version and see how much it'd bug you.

NYRexall

Quote from: shoop on Apr 05, 2016, 05:26 AM
Quote from: NYRexall on Apr 05, 2016, 05:18 AM
Quote from: shoop on Apr 05, 2016, 05:08 AM
Whoever mentioned remembering a somewhat standard 96 and 128kbps quality way back, funny I was just thinking about that. I think one of the first times I heard Deftones was a 96kbps rip of Engine #9 from some fan site or something, Napster & Kazaa and all those weren't even around yet. Then in middle school, I was that dude telling everyone "dude you got the 128kbps, that's bad quality man" or "this is a demo" and no one gave a shit lol. It was all the same to everyone else. I'm not even sure I ever remember seeing any lossless around back then, or very very rarely at least. Anyone remember the extremely shitty RealMedia files? Really tiny video stream, shit quality lol. Good times.. Cassette dubbing was fun as hell too

Remember that time Lars Ulrich tried to tell the internet that using Napster to download music was stealing, when right there in the liner notes for Garage, Inc the band is reminiscing about sitting around each other's houses growing up, drinking beer and dubbing cassette tapes of all the records they couldn't afford?

Good job, Lars
It was stupid move really. Napster still worked for quite a while after it got "shut down", you just needed the patch. Then Kazaa and whatever else instantly turned into the new Napster. Not to mention IRC and everything else.

IIRC, Kazaa was the service I used to get the 2003 S/T leak way back in the early days of downloading. I discovered so much good shit through those services, and am proud to say I always bought everything I dug and wanted to keep. I still do that, even to this day..

ominousnimbus

Quote from: all3n_y on Apr 05, 2016, 05:09 AM
Seems like a decent amount of people have Pittura more towards the bottom in their ranking list. Why is that?? What is it about the song some of you are not feeling?  I haven't listened to the album yet so I'm just curious.
It might feel a little out of place. Surrounded by decidedly dark material, it sounds much more like the sunny side of Smashing Pumpkins - "Cherub Rock," "Rocket," stuff like that. I'd also compare the general tone to "Romantic Dreams," even though I think this is a stronger and more interesting song. Definitely not bad, but so far, not a stand-out to me.

Vesanic

Talking the leak in small characters is one thing. Writing one of the most triggering lyrics of the record in huge ones is another thing worse than spoiling.

NYRexall

What song is the "You cannot face the crowd" lyric from?

RaptureWS

Quote from: MrVesanique on Apr 05, 2016, 05:31 AM
Talking the leak in small characters is one thing. Writing one of the most triggering lyrics of the record in huge ones is another thing worse than spoiling.

Especially that particular line.......48 hours later and I still can't get over how good that song and the album is.
When people whisper it makes her nervous.

ClevelandCaliRyder

I don't know who you are, or if you even browse this forum and I understand everyone has their opinions. But thanks. I really needed that laugh today

;D

geraavl08

Quote from: NYRexall on Apr 05, 2016, 05:41 AM
What song is the "You cannot face the crowd" lyric from?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

RaptureWS

I have only read the lyrics to Geometric and Pittura a couple times but I wonder if they are related. The themes are strikingly similar alluding to a female that is either a God or one that is viewed as a powerful human with deity qualities. So amazing......Two of my fav tracks musically too.

pelican fly

Quote from: RaptureWS on Apr 05, 2016, 05:56 AM
I have only read the lyrics to Geometric and Pittura a couple times but I wonder if they are related. The themes are strikingly similar alluding to a female that is either a God or one that is viewed as a powerful human with deity qualities. So amazing......Two of my fav tracks musically too.

I think Chino said in a interview the lyrics kind of tell a story but not really or some shit.
I think it's by far HIS best work ( as far as lyrics) .

laurapalmer

Quote from: NYRexall on Apr 05, 2016, 05:20 AM
Quote from: laurapalmer on Apr 05, 2016, 04:50 AM
As a manager at an NJ Target I feel like I'll have a hard time not risking my job to get at this tomorrow

I think you'll be alright

According to one fan here, Targets in NJ were already stocking the album on their store shelves this morning. Just don't expect happy people when they start trying to buy it at the register

Boy, are you going to have your work cut out for you... ;D

Hypothetically it would be so easy to snake a copy but it's not worth the risk. If there's one thing I know about target it's that everything is on camera. And it's only 3 days.

RaptureWS

Also, I liked PT just fine on its own but when played with the album it's almost a different and better song. I know see why it was the first single and the album opener. I do hope to hear Crest one day though.

RaptureWS

Just read the lyrics to Acid and I feel they could be tied to Geo and Pittura too lol. The lyrics are a bit more vague than the latter two tracks but could still fit the themes of the other two if you wanted them to.

RoyalDeftonicBoy

Xenon
Acid Hologram
(L)mirl
Geometric Headdress
Hearts/Wires
Rubicon

My top tracks but still listening and enjoying so much all the melody around this album.

guizz

So, i'm staying strong and havent listened to it yet, except for doomed user and p/t. Waiting for a top notch quality rip, nothing yet i guess? I could listen to H/W but id rather wait to see how it fits on the album. man is this week long...

ANattyRat

Quote from: all3n_y on Apr 05, 2016, 05:09 AM
Seems like a decent amount of people have Pittura more towards the bottom in their ranking list. Why is that?? What is it about the song some of you are not feeling?  I haven't listened to the album yet so I'm just curious.

It's the most un-Deftones-like intro ever. Once the lyrics kick in, it's more of their sound, but to have that music appear out of nowhere after Hearts/Wires is just surreal. I didn't like it at first, but the more I listened, the more I loved.

Quote from: NYRexall on Apr 05, 2016, 04:40 AM
So I'm curious to know...

How many of you on SL are jealous of the fact that I've yet to hear any of this album, and will do so for the first time in gleaming, screaming high-quality audio?  ;D

Not at all. For me, bad audio quality doesn't take away from my excitement, rather better audio quality enhances it. I had crappy £1 headphones for such a long time, when I finally got good ones and listened to Deftones on them for the first time, I was blown away by how much more layers they had. I COULD ACTUALLY HEAR FRANK'S EFFECTS! It was mind-blowing. So looking forward for that again.

Quote from: RaptureWS on Apr 05, 2016, 05:56 AM

The lyrics to Geometric Headdress are my favourite, they're mesmerising and really beautiful, cryptic. Reading the lyrics to Pittura Infamante, they're great too, definitely similar in concept. Some really excellent lyrical work on this album.

SCUM

just a thought..where the FUCK IS THE 320?!!!?!!

NYRexall

Quote from: ANattyRat on Apr 05, 2016, 07:37 AM
It's the most un-Deftones-like intro ever. Once the lyrics kick in, it's more of their sound, but to have that music appear out of nowhere after Hearts/Wires is just surreal. I didn't like it at first, but the more I listened, the more I loved.

I know you and probably everyone else who reads this will tell me there's no comparison here, but reading this line of yours reminded me of the first time I heard KNY and that stunning guitar line in Entombed begins immediately after Chino's long "Drives me wiiiiiiiild" line in Poltergeist. It was so jarring...so unexpected...and so perfect. Entombed is still my favorite song on KNY.

Those songs back to back, its like watching a bomb detonate and then witnessing the ensuing fallout.

rageman02uk

Yeah nothing but love for Pittura here, while it did not stand out at first. Whole album is great imo

neirda

Quote from: NYRexall on Apr 05, 2016, 07:46 AM
Quote from: ANattyRat on Apr 05, 2016, 07:37 AM

I know you and probably everyone else who reads this will tell me there's no comparison here, but reading this line of yours reminded me of the first time I heard KNY and that stunning guitar line in Entombed begins immediately after Chino's long "Drives me wiiiiiiiild" line in Poltergeist. It was so jarring...so unexpected...and so perfect. Entombed is still my favorite song on KNY.

Those songs back to back, its like watching a bomb detonate and then witnessing the ensuing fallout.

Don't expect too much from that intro, it's nowhere close to entombed's beauty. The song is growing on me though. The whole album is a grower I think.
PH first part of verse (screamed one) soounds a lot like can't even breathe verse ("pushing you back but still you ain't gone", especially the final screamed one).