Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ANattyRat

Quote from: NYRexall on Apr 05, 2016, 07:46 AM
Quote from: ANattyRat on Apr 05, 2016, 07:37 AM
It's the most un-Deftones-like intro ever. Once the lyrics kick in, it's more of their sound, but to have that music appear out of nowhere after Hearts/Wires is just surreal. I didn't like it at first, but the more I listened, the more I loved.

I know you and probably everyone else who reads this will tell me there's no comparison here, but reading this line of yours reminded me of the first time I heard KNY and that stunning guitar line in Entombed begins immediately after Chino's long "Drives me wiiiiiiiild" line in Poltergeist. It was so jarring...so unexpected...and so perfect. Entombed is still my favorite song on KNY.

Those songs back to back, its like watching a bomb detonate and then witnessing the ensuing fallout.

I guess I can understand that, it just hits you out of nowhere and sounds so different from them. But don't be expecting a sound like Entombed, it's pretty fast-paced, almost like happy punk-lite, haha. But yeah, definitely an unexpected thing when the music hits.

ClevelandCaliRyder

Quote from: NYRexall on Apr 05, 2016, 07:58 AM
Quote from: ClevelandCaliRyder on Apr 05, 2016, 05:49 AM

I don't know who you are, or if you even browse this forum and I understand everyone has their opinions. But thanks. I really needed that laugh today

;D

lololololol

Is this on that Deftones FB group where all those attention-seeking high school girls post pictures of their ugly tatted up chest pieces and shit? I go on there sometimes and scroll for 15 minutes until my face hurts from laughing so hard

No actually. I think it was from the Blabbermouth article about H/W. You know, Blabbermouth, where the comments shit on anything that's not Indi trash* or Gojira.

Kinda makes the attempted censor pointless if I just give away where its from. But fuck it  :P

*Indi trash as in shitty hipster bands. not actual good Independent bands

plagasx

Must...have...high quality rip....NOW

ANattyRat

I don't know who you are, or if you even browse this forum and I understand everyone has their opinions. But thanks. I really needed that laugh today

;D

You know, I really love Adrenaline, but mostly I love how raw and almost-spontaneous it sounds. It's authentic and even then you can hear that they're not just playing typical nu-metal. But it's not a masterpiece at all. They had a lot to learn, and hell, that album is the most repetitive album they've ever done. They've never sounded the same since, they've expanded and grown from that point until now. And yeah, you know, maybe some people hate Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan because they sound so polished, largely-unaggressive, so far away from their roots. But if you don't like those albums, it's just because of personal preference. Because they have undeniably improved since then. Man, to say that their first album, the one that they made when they were so young, is their best, is...not really a compliment, haha.

ClevelandCaliRyder

Quote from: ANattyRat on Apr 05, 2016, 08:26 AM

;D

You know, I really love Adrenaline, but mostly I love how raw and almost-spontaneous it sounds. It's authentic and even then you can hear that they're not just playing typical nu-metal. But it's not a masterpiece at all. They had a lot to learn, and hell, that album is the most repetitive album they've ever done. They've never sounded the same since, they've expanded and grown from that point until now. And yeah, you know, maybe some people hate Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan because they sound so polished, largely-unaggressive, so far away from their roots. But if you don't like those albums, it's just because of personal preference. Because they have undeniably improved since then. Man, to say that their first album, the one that they made when they were so young, is their best, is...not really a compliment, haha.

Before I saw that I was actually thinking about asking if there's anyone on here with the "FIRST ALBUM IS THEIR BEST. NOTHING EXISTS AFTER THAT" mentality for Deftones. haha.

I understand everyone has their own opinions. And personally, Adrenaline is the only album of theirs that almost never gets plays from me. Probably because DE was their introduction for me (I'm not a real fan, obviously...  ;D ) But the sound doesn't interest me at all. And that's not to say I don't enjoy heavy Deftones, I love Hexagram (although whether that fits into every body's definition of "heavy" or not, who knows) Adrenaline is just too repetitive with little to no diversity for my tastes.

NYRexall

Quote from: ClevelandCaliRyder on Apr 05, 2016, 08:20 AM

No actually. I think it was from the Blabbermouth article about H/W. You know, Blabbermouth, where the comments shit on anything that's not Indi trash* or Gojira.

Kinda makes the attempted censor pointless if I just give away where its from. But fuck it  :P

Bladdermouth isn't nearly as funny as it was back in the day. There's actual moderation and FB accounts for comments now. But back in the early-2000s...man, there were some lowlife individuals populating their comments section. Some of it was hilarious, some of it was mean-spirited and some of it was just downright weird. I guess that particular generation moved on at a certain point.

I'll never forget the time Richard Patrick from Filter called out the Bladdermouth comment section in 2002 for being a bunch of nobodies. About six months later, news broke that he was in rehab and those comments sections were beyond vicious to his plight. No mercy whatsoever. I guess he sort of asked for it, but it was heinous..

NYRexall

Quote from: ClevelandCaliRyder on Apr 05, 2016, 08:42 AM

I understand everyone has their own opinions. And personally, Adrenaline is the only album of theirs that almost never gets plays from me. Probably because DE was their introduction for me (I'm not a real fan, obviously...  ;D ) But the sound doesn't interest me at all. And that's not to say I don't enjoy heavy Deftones, I love Hexagram (although whether that fits into every body's definition of "heavy" or not, who knows) Adrenaline is just too repetitive with little to no diversity for my tastes.

http://www.spin.com/2016/04/spin-interview-deftones-gore-new-album/

This is an interesting interview where Chino touches on a lot of interesting subjects. Read what he says about Adrenaline, and how he feels about it today. It sums that album up perfectly.

ClevelandCaliRyder

Quote from: NYRexall on Apr 05, 2016, 08:46 AM
Quote from: ClevelandCaliRyder on Apr 05, 2016, 08:20 AM

Bladdermouth isn't nearly as funny as it was back in the day. There's actual moderation and FB accounts for comments now. But back in the early-2000s...man, there were some lowlife individuals populating their comments section. Some of it was hilarious, some of it was mean-spirited and some of it was just downright weird. I guess that particular generation moved on at a certain point.

I'll never forget the time Richard Patrick from Filter called out the Bladdermouth comment section in 2002 for being a bunch of nobodies. About six months later, news broke that he was in rehab and those comments sections were beyond vicious to his plight. No mercy whatsoever. I guess he sort of asked for it, but it was heinous..

Man, I don't even give a shit about most the stuff they post. I just go on there and Loudwire for ANY news on Soundgarden and Alice in Chains' new records. I need them shits as bad as I need Gore.

NYRexall

Quote from: ClevelandCaliRyder on Apr 05, 2016, 09:03 AM

Man, I don't even give a shit about most the stuff they post. I just go on there and Loudwire for ANY news on Soundgarden and Alice in Chains' new records. I need them shits as bad as I need Gore.

I watched a live clip of Cornell performing an acoustic version of U2's 'One' while singing the lyrics to Metallica's 'One' the other day and it was one of the most beautiful things I've heard in a long time. A Soundgarden/Deftones tour would be an interesting trek. Would be neat to see them get Kim to play on a track on a future album, too

GR1X7S

After multiple listens (lost count) the thing that most impresses me about Gore is the fact that Deftones made an album that pushes their sound and style into new territories but managed to still keep their core sound. It's quite an achievement if you think about it. Especially for a band's 8th album.

play

Wow. So I caved. And listened to it. Should've held off. There is some seriously incredible stuff on here.
But god dam the quality is so shit. Did not expect it. It's like someone's put a low pass filter and compressed it in a sock :(

Really wish I had held out one more day haha! Should of listened to ya shoop!!

Oh well. Can't wait for the proper quality. Don't know how these guys keep writing music of this level. There's just no other band out there like this...

MuffBiscuits

Quote from: NYRexall on Apr 05, 2016, 08:49 AM

http://www.spin.com/2016/04/spin-interview-deftones-gore-new-album/

This is an interesting interview where Chino touches on a lot of interesting subjects. Read what he says about Adrenaline, and how he feels about it today. It sums that album up perfectly.

Great interview. Weird they don't talk about KNY, though.

shoop

Quote from: play on Apr 05, 2016, 09:53 AM
Wow. So I caved. And listened to it. Should've held off. There is some seriously incredible stuff on here.
But god dam the quality is so shit. Did not expect it. It's like someone's put a low pass filter and compressed it in a sock :(

Really wish I had held out one more day haha! Should of listened to ya shoop!!

Oh well. Can't wait for the proper quality. Don't know how these guys keep writing music of this level. There's just no other band out there like this...
Haha.. I shook my head as soon as I started reading that. We're so close to a proper rip.

iceeslunk

Quote from: ANattyRat on Apr 05, 2016, 08:26 AM

;D

Before I saw that I was actually thinking about asking if there's anyone on here with the "FIRST ALBUM IS THEIR BEST. NOTHING EXISTS AFTER THAT" mentality for Deftones. haha.

adrenaline is my favorite album, i got it the year it came out so it holds a very special time & place in my heart, so it probably always will...but i also love every other deftones album  :)

mono

;D

lololololol

Is this on that Deftones FB group where all those attention-seeking high school girls post pictures of their ugly tatted up chest pieces and shit? I go on there sometimes and scroll for 15 minutes until my face hurts from laughing so hard

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHAH sounds like "Deftones Familia" group, love the description

Hidalgo

adrenaline is a masterpiece in my opinion. if you like the heavy side of deftones, it doesn't get heavier than adrenaline. also, Stephen's riffs, & guitar sound are so awesome on that album. Chino vastly underestimates that album, it's a classic for sure

CarloDefDonno

Quote from: illmono on Apr 05, 2016, 11:47 AM

;D

lololololol

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHAH sounds like "Deftones Familia" group, love the description
God, that group became cancer. They were about to make me change my favourite band.

underneaththecar

don't get me wrong adrenaline has some great moments and I get nostalgic as all hell listening to it...having said that if you think it's Deftones best album I seriously wonder how you would feel about 8 albums of the same exact sound....

gwenudo

Quote from: illmono on Apr 05, 2016, 11:47 AM

;D

lololololol

I wouldnt go as far as to say Adrenaline is a piece of art, but it is a killer album without a doubt. Favorite album is S/T but adrenaline is somewhere up there, it has some great tracks, birthmark, lifter, and one weak being my favorite tracks on there.
Was it like it seemed?...

phil for real

Gore is so fucking good.  What a great album.  This band blows me away that they're still expanding upon their sound and trying new things 20 years in.  Have yet to disappoint me.  I'm gonna try to rank these albums now.  Still a bit early, but fuck it.  I'm having a difficult time deciding between Diamond Eyes and Gore though.

1. Self Titled
2. White Pony
3. Gore
4. Diamond Eyes
5. Koi No Yokan
6. SNW
7. ATF
8. Adrenaline