Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gwenudo

Quote from: King Leer on Apr 07, 2016, 08:46 PM
Quote from: 2MoreHours on Apr 07, 2016, 08:41 PM
Quote from: SCUM on Apr 07, 2016, 08:37 PM
Quote from: gwenudo on Apr 07, 2016, 08:27 PM
I dont think the normal deftones fan base will like Gore, i keep seeing mixed emotions from non hardcore fans, saying its terrible and things like prayers is the best track on there lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah i've been surprised seeing comments but at the same time , much like that reviewer, most of these randies started listening around DE/KNY. "they don't know shit about boxing"

I have a love/hate relationship with Gore so far.  Parts of it are nice but then it's like I feel like I need to listen to My Own Summer or something for a minute to get that heavy edge that's missing on this.

while i respect your opinion i really really can't get why people are saying that this album is not heavy... is it just because chino's not screaming? to me it's heavy but its beautiful as well. really a perfect mixture of both.
This is where Franks words come into play. He said we all have our type of "Heavy" .. It may be heavy for some, but to others it may not be heavy at all.. I remember he said something like that in a recent interview
Was it like it seemed?...

77years

Phantom Bride, that's 10/10
LMIRL is pretty damn close

guarnoplo

I'm listening to the album, from iTunes (Mastered for it) we'll see

RaptureWS

Yeah I never heard anything that sounded like a psychological thriller. I expected some sinister, quick tempo guitar that maybe screeched at times or sounded like a knife cutting through the air. The closest I hear to that is the heavy part of Geometric. That section does a really good job of building anticipation but doesn't quite sound like a psychological thriller.

Movies and video games are so much easier to review and explain to people. 100 people could tell you exactly what they think Gore sounds like, track by track and in full detail yet you will still only have a glimpse in your mind about what it might sound like. A few sentences on the other hand can spoil an entire movie or game.
When people whisper it makes her nervous.

ANattyRat

I dont think the normal deftones fan base will like Gore, i keep seeing mixed emotions from non hardcore fans, saying its terrible and things like prayers is the best track on there lol

Most casual fans probably think Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan is the best. Unless they're fans of heavier stuff or a different genre, I guess, but for the most parts, those have the most generally-appealing songs. Also not to criticise long-time fans that prefer those albums, just saying that they're easier to get into.

Quote from: gwenudo on Apr 07, 2016, 08:47 PM
Quote from: King Leer on Apr 07, 2016, 08:46 PM
Quote from: 2MoreHours on Apr 07, 2016, 08:41 PM
Quote from: SCUM on Apr 07, 2016, 08:37 PM

yeah i've been surprised seeing comments but at the same time , much like that reviewer, most of these randies started listening around DE/KNY. "they don't know shit about boxing"

I have a love/hate relationship with Gore so far.  Parts of it are nice but then it's like I feel like I need to listen to My Own Summer or something for a minute to get that heavy edge that's missing on this.

while i respect your opinion i really really can't get why people are saying that this album is not heavy... is it just because chino's not screaming? to me it's heavy but its beautiful as well. really a perfect mixture of both.
This is where Franks words come into play. He said we all have our type of "Heavy" .. It may be heavy for some, but to others it may not be heavy at all.. I remember he said something like that in a recent interview

Yeah. For me, I don't consider songs heavy unless Chino is screaming. I know that's quite a narrow-minded view, haha, and I'm trying to get out of that way of thinking, because I've realised that singing vocals don't negate the heaviness and aggression of the music. But when people say songs like Diamond Eyes are heavy, I'm like "Whaaat? That song is one of the most radio-friendly ever," haha.

Doomed User is the only song on Gore I consider heavy and aggressive all the way through, really. The rest, they do have lots of heavy elements, vocally and musically, but not like Rapture or Hexagram or whatever. But that's OK because songs like that have always been a minority, usually it's always a mixture of both, ever since Adrenaline.

nineteen

There's always their back catalogue for heavy stuff but I'm happy with the less abrasive direction they've taken the last few years (though that's not to say they're not heavy at all).

Same with any band for the most part and it's the same every time an album is released. I remember when they released White Pony and a lot of folks freaked out - it's been the same ever since.

They've always had this approach and I never want this to change (in the house of flies).

gwenudo

Everytime i listen to the album the same question pops up in my head, what would Chi think about the new album? What would his thoughts be? Miss that man.

Was it like it seemed?...

from_musings

Quote from: ANattyRat on Apr 07, 2016, 09:10 PM
Yeah. For me, I don't consider songs heavy unless Chino is screaming. I know that's quite a narrow-minded view, haha, and I'm trying to get out of that way of thinking, because I've realised that singing vocals don't negate the heaviness and aggression of the music. But when people say songs like Diamond Eyes are heavy, I'm like "Whaaat? That song is one of the most radio-friendly ever," haha.

i think to have and to hold sounds heavy although screaming isn't involved. i wouldn't call d.e a heavy song, but the ending is pretty heavy imo

Lurid Vega

Quote from: SMLiberator on Apr 07, 2016, 06:46 PM
well, that sounded pretty creepy.
Yeah, it's a straight up beginning sound to the end of the world. Bad ass

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

guarnoplo

the crowd goes wild
Rubicon has the most mainstream sound and I like it lol
when will another 'Pink Maggit' happen?
you can compare SNW songs to any other from the previous albums and even DE. but from KNY to Gore is a new deftones, you don't have to be a hardcore fan to know that
I knew of deftones, but I started listening a couple years ago lol  :P and a dude said the KNY was the best, those are the casual fans you say
I'm having a problem with the new work from awesome bands
Today, it's all about pop  ;D

MammothSound

Heavy doesn't need to be fast or have screaming. I personally think Acid Hologram is one of the heaviest tracks on the album. It has a Crowbar or even Jesu kind of vibe.

Substance Abuse

Quote from: Reichward on Apr 07, 2016, 08:41 PM
Quote from: Freedomsoldier17 on Apr 07, 2016, 08:34 PM
Quote from: Sleeping_Giant on Apr 07, 2016, 08:17 PM
Which song supposed to be an intro to a psychological thriller? I don't get that feeling anywhere.

i kinda agree. i definitely get a creepy deepish vibe in the intro and verses of LMIRL, but the space rocky chorus totally undoes that feeling.
That was just some catchphrase from an interview. You know how they like to use big words to describe the stuff they're reviewing. It's never as litteral as that

I remember downloading white pony off of Napster, lol.

I like DE more than KNY though I think it has more highs. I love this album.

Kill the noobs!!!! Lol

77years

My Bloody Valentine Loveless is the heaviest music ever recorded and they're whispering on it. So there you go

77years

Quote from: MammothSound on Apr 07, 2016, 09:39 PM
Heavy doesn't need to be fast or have screaming. I personally think Acid Hologram is one of the heaviest tracks on the album. It has a Crowbar or even Jesu kind of vibe.

Hum "Isle of the Cheetah"

nicklav

Agreed. Currently my favorite track.

HooiserBowhunter

I love the sound of acid hologram and self titled. It has a drowsy gloomy heavy feel to me that I love. I just checked out Jesu they sound pretty cool. Thanks for the tip. I have such a hard time finding new good unheard of rock bands.

sooniletugo

Diamond Eyes (song) sure is heavy. The riff is absolutely crushing, pummeling. If Chino were screaming over it, you'd call it heavy as fuck. But I think the clean singing works well on that song, it creates a nice contrast. The dreamy, optimistic chorus juxtaposed with that doom riff, they make each other even more effective. And coming after Chi's tragedy I felt it was the perfect song. I do like when Chino screams at the very end when they play it live, but the ending of the studio version still rocks without it.

Acid Hologram been stuck in my head all day. I said it was possibly my least favourite before - scratch that. I'm feeling every song.

defTHE1s

Quote from: colonelsausage on Apr 02, 2016, 10:00 PM
I don't know how I'd feel listening to a whole album freshly from a band I'm really into, ever since I can remember I've listened to snippets or leaks before the release and now it's just become a part of how I enjoy it. I remember Amazon etc would post 30 sec or so clips and that was it, I'd have them on repeat over and over then when I heard the full songs I was blown away. I feel clips gets me hooked, but yeh I had the chance to wait and I never do im an addict to the music
Just listen to another music instead, it's not that hard. I've only heard a couple of times P/T and DU since their release but just because I was kind of skeptic in the new music, but I easily could wait and distract myself by listening different things.

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

77years

Had a friend who picked up the vinyl today in the UK. They sold out already

NYRexall

Quote from: blondie on Apr 06, 2016, 06:49 PM
for those who are finding it hard to make this album work to their liking, you should've seen this coming since snw. deftones have been progressively making the transition to open more doors for themselves, rather than sticking to the tried and tested white pony formula.

Disagree with this. The "tried and tested" WP formula? They've essentially been tweaking that gamechanger formula ever since. The lone exception is DE, which felt like a conscious decision by the band to re-right the empire after an arduous half-decade of infighting and tragedy. S/T, SNW and KNY are all arty and experimental as fuck in their own right. Gore just takes the direction they were clearly headed in and trumps all expectations we had.