Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

77years

As her woooooords draw you in

Cullision

Lmirl could have been so good, falls apart completely for me when it switches tone.

NYRexall

Quote from: m1nusblindfoLd on Apr 09, 2016, 03:38 AM
Damn..any way to resize a photo within the BBcode? [IMG=111x222] format doesn't work.

Neat to see people buying both the LP and CD, because both have different art. The CD digipack has a boring sunset gatefold, but a generous lyric book with a band photo included. The album has the lyrics transposed over the sunset gatefold, and an insert with album credits and a lush flamingo photo but no band photo.

77years

Quote from: Cullision on Apr 09, 2016, 03:40 AM
Lmirl could have been so good, falls apart completely for me when it switches tone.

It switches twice.  It evolves into the heaviest slabs of minor chordage since Stoner Witch

HooiserBowhunter

Quote from: Cullision on Apr 09, 2016, 03:40 AM

I love that about the song personally

gloomsquadron

Quote from: SMLiberator on Apr 09, 2016, 03:26 AM
the lyrics on this album are extremely depressing.....

I think Phantom Bride finally clicked on me and holy shit the feels... overwhelming

Chino definitely wasn't kidding when he said the lyrics here weren't as optimistic as on DE and KNY

Phantom Bride is my new favorite song of all time.  Being a fan of 1) Deftones 2) Alice In Chains 3) Depressing lyrics that I can feel some sort of way.  I love songs that I can say "did they make this for me?"

gloomsquadron

Quote from: NYRexall on Apr 09, 2016, 03:38 AM
Don't recall seeing Aaron Harris being mentioned in the album credits, but there's a definite influence from Chino's time with Palms in more than a few of these tracks

Well, at least I don't feel all alone now in thinking that.  The moments that are sparse with just drums and bass and some guitar plucking and Chino using the short reverb effect on his that appeared on Palms really made me think Aaron must have been in the room at some point.

What are your feelings on the vocal mix on Gore?  Chino sounds like he's singing in my garage.

ANattyRat

Quote from: NYRexall on Apr 09, 2016, 03:24 AM
Quote from: ANattyRat on Apr 09, 2016, 02:53 AM
Quote from: NYRexall on Apr 09, 2016, 02:36 AM
Chino's lyrics, which are some of the best I've heard from him on a Deftones record.

Yes! The lyrics really are some of the best, or the best in a very long time, in my opinion. Especially Geometric Headdress, that's probably my favourite, lyrically.

Quote from: NYRexall on Apr 09, 2016, 02:36 AM
That intro to Pittura had me legit lol'ing the moment I heard it; personally, the intro riff to Xenon is just as amusing to me. 77 Years wasn't kidding when he said they should have released the former as the first single to troll the living fuck out of Deftones fans. It's like Deftones doing their best Jimmy Eat World impression and slam-dunking it  ;D

I thought I'd accidentally hit shuffle and gone to a completely random band when I first heard the intro to Pittura Infamante, haha, I was so confused.

Quote from: NYRexall on Apr 09, 2016, 02:45 AM
Also...

The entire song is fucking amazing, but that first minute and change of LMIRL is fucking godhead. That doomy, drifting riff that leads into the bass, drums and Chino's vocal is one of the best things ever.

Way too early to say, but this is probably my fave on the album right now. An absolute masterpiece.

(L)MIRL was such a struggle for me. I was so disappointed when it shifts mood after the first minute or so, from something so dark, sinister and moody, to something happy-sounding, that I didn't even want to like it. Then I listened to it quite a lot more, and I realised the only real time it sounds 'happy' is the chorus. The rest of it, yeah the music changes after the first minute or so, but it's still quite a dark song to me, the guitars and lyrics still give off that vibe. Definitely become one of my favourites. Not that I haven't said that about almost all the songs so far.
I don't see any part of LMIRL as happy, per se. Triumphant more than anything. It's a very ugly song lyrically.

Yeah, exactly, triumphant is a good word for it. I was expecting something super-dark, hence the initial disappointment, but it's hypnotic as hell, especially the beginning. The guitars, the vocals and lyrics especially, it really draws you in. Hell, the reason I began liking it more was because I kept playing it on repeat even though I still felt it was disappointing. That says a lot about that song.

Anyway, I've chosen to take it as a similar concept to Digital Bath, haha, Chino embracing his inner serial killer. That gets me through the happier-sounding chorus. I hope they play it live, it'd bring forth such a gloomier and darker mood that they haven't had in a very long time. Even if it's just for one song. Plus I can really see it fitting as a live song.

Quote from: NYRexall on Apr 09, 2016, 03:26 AM
I'm going to walk back on what I said about Rubicon, because it's unfair. It's definitely growing on me with repeat spins. Still probably the most Deftones-sounding track on the album to me, but it's better now than my initial impression of it

H/W is having its merry little way with me now, too.

Rubicon is the most overrated song, for me. It's a great song, but five minutes long, it gets too repetitive.

Shadow46/2

When the H/W shifts into the riff from the part from the instagram clip. So good.
Also chorus is godly

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

NYRexall

From that Spin review: "while nothing will top White Pony's "Teenager" for Deftones' ability to be heart-wrenching"

LMAO does anyone else find Teenager to be incredibly boring and overrated? He wrote that song when he was 15, ffs. Where was this guy when Anniversary, Entombed or WHTY were playing on their respective albums he allegedly heard?

ANattyRat

Quote from: NYRexall on Apr 09, 2016, 04:26 AM
From that Spin review: "while nothing will top White Pony's "Teenager" for Deftones' ability to be heart-wrenching"

LMAO does anyone else find Teenager to be incredibly boring and overrated? He wrote that song when he was 15, ffs. Where was this guy when Anniversary, Entombed or WHTY were playing on their respective albums he allegedly heard?

I like Teenager, it's a beautiful song, but it can be boring at times. But then again, so is Sextape and Entombed for me sometimes. Anniversary of an Uninteresting Event is probably the best example, but suppose it depends on your definition. Deathblow tops the list for me.

NYRexall

Quote from: gloomsquadron on Apr 09, 2016, 03:54 AM

What are your feelings on the vocal mix on Gore?  Chino sounds like he's singing in my garage.

I haven't really focused on that aspect too heavily yet, but they sound okay to me. I heard from that interview he did and from what people were saying that he was using the Morrissey reverb trick heavily on this album, so I wasn't fazed.

Just glad he's not trying to scream on this album for the sake of screaming. He sounds mighty fine singing here, while still doing a good deal of wailing and shrieking in parts.

geraavl08

Quote from: kleptoned on Apr 08, 2016, 11:27 PM
Soooo anyone order autographed cd from looney tunes??? Asked earlier but Blondie distracted the entire thread
I did, just waiting for the 18th

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

only pieces remain

anniversary is so fucking underrated. top 5 deftones for me

ANattyRat

Quote from: geraavl08 on Apr 09, 2016, 04:38 AM
Soooo anyone order autographed cd from looney tunes??? Asked earlier but Blondie distracted the entire thread

What's on the 18th?

GR1X7S

Same here

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

geraavl08

Quote from: ANattyRat on Apr 09, 2016, 04:43 AM

What's on the 18th?
When they ship it out

pinata89

I didn't even know abt this promo..kinda bummed lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

geraavl08

Quote from: only pieces remain on Apr 09, 2016, 04:39 AM
That remastered version... I was in tears at the end

GR1X7S

Quote from: only pieces remain on Apr 09, 2016, 04:39 AM
In that Kerrang interview Chino was asked to give his favorite Deftones moment and he said it's
Anniversary of an Uninteresting Event. He called it his favorite Deftones song ever.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk