Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jciraheta

maybe i am a grouppy or waht ever but i love the album , out the eleven songs  i adore 5 or 6 and the other 5 are great, no skippers ,  it has a sense of fatality or closing i dont know how describe it

forr me they have 9.5 out 10

gwenudo

Quote from: jciraheta on Apr 09, 2016, 03:49 PM
maybe i am a grouppy or waht ever but i love the album , out the eleven songs  i adore 5 or 6 and the other 5 are great, no skippers ,  it has a sense of fatality or closing i dont know how describe it

forr me they have 9.5 out 10
Youre not a groupie, just a fan of the music
Was it like it seemed?...

77years

The "cut through" part of H/W
The entirety of Geometric headdress, esp that half of the chorus when Sergio dives
Abe trolling all drummers on Xenon
Choruses of Rubicon and LMIRL
The first :20 of Rubicon
Phantom mother fucking bride
Pittura Infamante, intro into that first verse when you realize this is a Deftones song
The tape rewind/FF outro of Acid hologram when you realize what Doomed user is for
Harmonic chorus of Acid hologram
:15 of LMIRL to the first few vocals, imagining this live
That 757 taking-off chord at the end of Pittura Infamante
Steph dropping bombs in the bridge of LMIRL
Gore intro

Yeah

2MoreHours

Quote from: sing blue silver on Apr 09, 2016, 03:06 PM
Steph's guitar tone is pretty garbage across most of this record. Don't know what the fuck he was doing working on his tone for so long. Go back to the drawing board buddy. Abe is fucking crushing it on this record but it's too bad he gets so pushed to the back a lot. Still, loving this record the more I listen to it.

For a guy that's been "chasing" guitar tone for so long, it sure does seem to be getting worse.  He should have quit with his tone after SNW and worked more on his playing then maybe he could have played his own solo on Phantom Bride.  Still love the guy and what he contributes to Deftones though. 

B_S_79

This is my favorite album since WP.

I'm glad they always expand on their sound on every record. I had no desire to hear them replicate Adrenaline on every record. I was 15 when that record came out, and my tastes in music have changed a lot since then.

I'm REALLY hoping they get to play some of these songs live. I hope it's not just a one or two off until they realize that pulling these songs off live turns into a trainwreck or Chino can't hit the notes live. I've seen them 43 times, so I'm bored of the usual stuff.

I remember they tried Romantic Dreams and Leathers a few times and just scrapped it. I hope that's not the case with this album, because I believe its some of their best work to date. I'm seeing them in August and I hope we get at least 5 or 6 songs from Gore in the setlist instead of the entire Texas tour with Doomed User and P/T.

Hell, I'll take Graphic Nature in the setlist. I love that song, and I have no idea why they never tried to pull that one off at a show.

Damn proud of these guys, Gore is amazing.

astynk

I've just found out Doomed User has vocals... my headphones were so bad I couldn't make out any traces of Chino's voice. this is stupid. LOL

gwenudo

Quote from: B_S_79 on Apr 09, 2016, 04:07 PM

I'm glad they always expand on their sound on every record. I had no desire to hear them replicate Adrenaline on every record. I was 15 when that record came out, and my tastes in music have changed a lot since then.

I'm REALLY hoping they get to play some of these songs live. I hope it's not just a one or two off until they realize that pulling these songs off live turns into a trainwreck or Chino can't hit the notes live. I've seen them 43 times, so I'm bored of the usual stuff.

I remember they tried Romantic Dreams and Leathers a few times and just scrapped it. I hope that's not the case with this album, because I believe its some of their best work to date. I'm seeing them in August and I hope we get at least 5 or 6 songs from Gore in the setlist instead of the entire Texas tour with Doomed User and P/T.

Hell, I'll take Graphic Nature in the setlist. I love that song, and I have no idea why they never tried to pull that one off at a show.

I dont think Chino has a problem hitting the notes, he sings really damn good, almost perfection. I think the problem is playing guitar and singing at the same time. He can do both, but its a challenge doing them at the same time. Honestly he should just stick to singing.

B_S_79

Quote from: gwenudo on Apr 09, 2016, 04:10 PM

I dont think Chino has a problem hitting the notes, he sings really damn good, almost perfection. I think the problem is playing guitar and singing at the same time. He can do both, but its a challenge doing them at the same time. Honestly he should just stick to singing.

Respectfully disagree. Watch a live version of him trying to hit the notes on YSTB.
I've seen shows where they were all so fucked up it was a terrible show. Stef played songs with the wrong guitars.

I'll say this: the beginning of any tour his voice is in peak condition.

gwenudo

Quote from: B_S_79 on Apr 09, 2016, 04:15 PM

Respectfully disagree. Watch a live version of him trying to hit the notes on YSTB.
I've seen shows where they were all so fucked up it was a terrible show. Stef played songs with the wrong guitars.

Its really the same with any band though, close to the end of the tour everybody is just about tired and want to just go home, its not as bad as it was with WP tour though when he completely broke his voice. Hes trained now and can sing good for a longer period and does it well. Now you say there was a day they were all fucked up, thats the problem lol they were all fucked up.. Also theres days Chino is sick or something, those days youll be able to tell his voice is a bit off, it happens unfortunately.

B_S_79

Quote from: gwenudo on Apr 09, 2016, 04:20 PM

Its really the same with any band though, close to the end of the tour everybody is just about tired and want to just go home, its not as bad as it was with WP tour though when he completely broke his voice. Hes trained now and can sing good for a longer period and does it well. Now you say there was a day they were all fucked up, thats the problem lol they were all fucked up.. Also theres days Chino is sick or something, those days youll be able to tell his voice is a bit off, it happens unfortunately.

I'm not complaining. I've seen them so many times I'm probably overly critical. It always sounds much better at the show than watching a youtube video, definitely. I'm just hoping for lots of Gore on this tour. If the issue is him playing guitar, like you said, then we might not get a lot of Gore songs, which sucks.

gwenudo

Quote from: B_S_79 on Apr 09, 2016, 04:24 PM
Quote from: gwenudo on Apr 09, 2016, 04:20 PM

I'm not complaining. I've seen them so many times I'm probably overly critical. It always sounds much better at the show than watching a youtube video, definitely. I'm just hoping for lots of Gore on this tour. If the issue is him playing guitar, like you said, then we might not get a lot of Gore songs, which sucks.
I want to believe and say yes there will be alot of Gore but most of these if not all of these songs are Chino driven guitar wise. If they play em live, theyll probably fuck up a couple of times, just like what happened with Prayers .. He had to stop playing the verses and only sing

Robotsatemygrandma

Quote from: whitefur on Apr 09, 2016, 03:36 PM
Quote from: sing blue silver on Apr 09, 2016, 03:06 PM
Steph's guitar tone is pretty garbage across most of this record. Don't know what the fuck he was doing working on his tone for so long. Go back to the drawing board buddy. Abe is fucking crushing it on this record but it's too bad he gets so pushed to the back a lot. Still, loving this record the more I listen to it.
I agree with all of this. The record is awesome........liking it more than DE and KNY. But what a travesty for pushing Abe sooooo far back in the mix. And Stef's tone is horrible......even worse than Adrenaline. Like you said, he said he has been working a lot on his tone, so where is it?? Ugh. Maybe ditch everything digital, the AxeFx, everything and go back to a tube amp.......maybe use Orange instead of Marshall if the Marshall can't handle the 8 string.

It's cool that they are going for a more raw sound......but instead of sounding raw like Adrenaline it just sounds shitty.

My exact reaction to Sing Blue Silver's comment on Steph's tone. He's been digitalmortal since DE.

Any good tube amp can handle low tunings, 7/8/9 strings. It's all about EQ, your cab, and it's speakers. Death bands have been tuning low for generations without the aid of subwoofers and whatever.

There's magic that happens between a mic and a guitar amp and a player. Digital processing will never capture that.

astynk

Quote from: astynk on Apr 09, 2016, 04:08 PM
I've just found out Doomed User has vocals... my headphones were so bad I couldn't make out any traces of Chino's voice. this is stupid. LOL

Got new headphones, and now that I hear Gore the way it was meant to, I find it fucking hot. Much better than KNY and comparable with the Chi era albums.

ANattyRat

Quote from: 77years on Apr 09, 2016, 03:55 PM
The "cut through" part of H/W
The entirety of Geometric headdress, esp that half of the chorus when Sergio dives
Abe trolling all drummers on Xenon
Choruses of Rubicon and LMIRL
The first :20 of Rubicon
Phantom mother fucking bride
Pittura Infamante, intro into that first verse when you realize this is a Deftones song
The tape rewind/FF outro of Acid hologram when you realize what Doomed user is for
Harmonic chorus of Acid hologram
:15 of LMIRL to the first few vocals, imagining this live
That 757 taking-off chord at the end of Pittura Infamante
Steph dropping bombs in the bridge of LMIRL
Gore intro

Yeah

Agree with all of this except for the chorus of (L)MIRL. God, they need to play that song live. They need to play all these songs live, haha, they better not do what they did with Koi No Yokan and just stick with a couple and ignore the rest.

HooiserBowhunter

I really like the sound of this record so far. There are going to be a lot of staple favorites that have been added to their discography for me. I don't think this album sounds anything like they have ever made. Time will only tell where this record will fall in my Deftones album ranking.

77years

#1 on Amazon right now

illthrowROCKS@U

I'm glad to hear that NYRexall was unimpressed with Rubicon.  I was beginning to think I was the only one who found the infatuation with that song puzzling.  I mean it's okay, but definitely not better than many of these other tracks.  It doesn't give me near the kind of response as LMIRL, Pittura, Acid Hologram, or Geometric Headdress.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

ANattyRat

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Apr 09, 2016, 05:05 PM
I'm glad to hear that NYRexall was unimpressed with Rubicon.  I was beginning to think I was the only one who found the infatuation with that song puzzling.  I mean it's okay, but definitely not better than many of these other tracks.  It doesn't give me near the kind of response as LMIRL, Pittura, Acid Hologram, or Geometric Headdress.

Nah, me too, man. I like it, but it gets repetitive and it doesn't live up to the hype everyone's given it, for me.

gwenudo

Honestly i like Pittura more than Rubicon. That damn breakdown is so damn good. "ON TOP OF THE CRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUXXX" damn... My favorite track is Gore though

pinata89

Rubicon just has a unique finality to it. It's placement as the last track is what makes it an impactful song, in my opinion. Just hearing the album end that way was really exciting for me.

Maybe I jumped the gun on calling it epic, and I agree there are better songs on the album. But i think all of our "favs" have bounced around the last few days haha.