Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJPV24

one question for the people that got both the vinyl and the CD: do yo notice any audible difference between the 2 versions? also, the white vinyl sold out on the band store, so I assume the sales are going strong  :)

pinata89

Quote from: AJPV24 on Apr 09, 2016, 05:09 PM
one question for the people that got both the vinyl and the CD: do yo notice any audible difference between the 2 versions? also, the white vinyl sold out on the band store, so I assume the sales are going strong  :)
I haven't had a chance to spin my vinyl yet. I got the 180g black. The only noticeable difference is the printing of profanity differences between the cd/vinyl

77years

Supposedly white vinyl still available on Amazon? I might grab it

gwenudo

Quote from: 77years on Apr 09, 2016, 05:02 PM
#1 on Amazon right now
Where do you see that?
Was it like it seemed?...

Vesanic

Quote from: gwenudo on Apr 09, 2016, 05:13 PM
Quote from: 77years on Apr 09, 2016, 05:02 PM
#1 on Amazon right now
Where do you see that?

That's because I bought it an hour ago  8)

gwenudo

I swear if those fuckers lumineers get #1 ima hey ho their ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was it like it seemed?...

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: pinata89 on Apr 09, 2016, 05:08 PM
Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Apr 09, 2016, 05:05 PM
I'm glad to hear that NYRexall was unimpressed with Rubicon.  I was beginning to think I was the only one who found the infatuation with that song puzzling.  I mean it's okay, but definitely not better than many of these other tracks.  It doesn't give me near the kind of response as LMIRL, Pittura, Acid Hologram, or Geometric Headdress.
Rubicon just has a unique finality to it. It's placement as the last track is what makes it an impactful song, in my opinion. Just hearing the album end that way was really exciting for me.

Maybe I jumped the gun on calling it epic, and I agree there are better songs on the album. But i think all of our "favs" have bounced around the last few days haha.

Absolutely, man.  The biggest jump for me has been Pittura.  It went from dead-fuckin'-last to top 3 in a week.  I can't believe I wrote this song off so early...
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

SCUM

Quote from: ANattyRat on Apr 09, 2016, 05:07 PM
I'm glad to hear that NYRexall was unimpressed with Rubicon.  I was beginning to think I was the only one who found the infatuation with that song puzzling.  I mean it's okay, but definitely not better than many of these other tracks.  It doesn't give me near the kind of response as LMIRL, Pittura, Acid Hologram, or Geometric Headdress.

Nah, me too, man. I like it, but it gets repetitive and it doesn't live up to the hype everyone's given it, for me.

i've heard the album 30xs(or more) now i can can still say rubicon is easily my favorite song on the album.

AJPV24

Quote from: 77years on Apr 09, 2016, 05:12 PM
Supposedly white vinyl still available on Amazon? I might grab it
It says "temporarily out of stock", so your best bet would be eBay.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

77years

The #1 ranking is under the album description on Amazon

pinata89

So i bought the vinyl/cd, but also got a download email from Deftones...

If I download the album (even though I don't really need it) will this help with album sales/ratings?

77years

Quote from: pinata89 on Apr 09, 2016, 06:45 PM
So i bought the vinyl/cd, but also got a download email from Deftones...

If I download the album (even though I don't really need it) will this help with album sales/ratings?

Download that fucker

pinata89

I figured it would.

Rally Sweat

Quote from: pinata89 on Apr 09, 2016, 05:08 PM
Rubicon just has a unique finality to it. It's placement as the last track is what makes it an impactful song, in my opinion. Just hearing the album end that way was really exciting for me.

Maybe I jumped the gun on calling it epic, and I agree there are better songs on the album. But i think all of our "favs" have bounced around the last few days haha.

Haha, it's so strange how their songs fluctuate like that. Can't think of another band that has that effect. I'm really loving Rubicon now - got the 'chunky' bit stuck in my head!

NYRexall

Rubicon is decent and is growing on me, but I think it's still destined to be one of my least favourite tracks on the album as a whole. Phantom Bride is probably my other least favourite right now because the way Chino sings is far too sugary for my tastes.

I will say that H/W has improved seismically since the first couple times I heard it. I just wish the ending was like a minute longer to truly make it an epic. It starts out with that minute-plus intro but then ends rather abruptly.

Vesanic

Regarding what I said about the presence of Terry Date :

Terry (obviously by now) didn't mix the album, but he did (as Chino said word for word during that French interview) that they used his help retouching the mix on some tracks of the record after the scrapped Euro tour.

He went on saying everything about the record (booklet, artwork, etc.) is exactly the same as it was before they retouched these songs with him. That would explain the fact he's not mentioned in the booklet.

pinata89

Quote from: MrVesanique on Apr 09, 2016, 07:54 PM

Terry (obviously by now) didn't mix the album, but he did (as Chino said word for word during that French interview) that they used his help retouching the mix on some tracks of the record after the scrapped Euro tour.

He went on saying everything about the record (booklet, artwork, etc.) is exactly the same as it was before they retouched these songs with him. That would explain the fact he's not mentioned in the booklet.
Thanks for the clarification. I was wondering myself why no mention was made.

B0RNtoR0CK

Quote from: pinata89 on Apr 09, 2016, 07:56 PM
Quote from: MrVesanique on Apr 09, 2016, 07:54 PM

Thanks for the clarification. I was wondering myself why no mention was made.
From a mixing standpoint the album is awful. So much noisy artifacts that could've been EQed out of there. The low-end could've been compressed tighter (it gets out of control quite often). Don't get me started on the production of Chino's vocals....But w/e still a great album.

Rally Sweat

Quote from: only pieces remain on Apr 09, 2016, 04:39 AM
anniversary is so fucking underrated. top 5 deftones for me

Fucking love it, it's so so aethereal and sad - kinda like an out of body experience.

Vesanic

For the full clarification

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/573088Sanstitre1.png

Here's the full, nuance-free translation of the parts in red :

You were supposed to go on a mini Euro tour last November, was the album ready at that point?(Writer's note : this tour was supposed to start on November 14 at the Bataclan, in Paris, where the band was also due to play on November 15 and 16. The attacks on November 13 obviously forced them to cancel these shows.)
The album was completely finished, yes. We just retouched the mix using the help of Terry Date (Pantera, Limp Bizkit), the sound engineer of our first records on some tracks of the album. Other than these details, the songs, the title and the front cover stayed the same.

Gore, the title track, brings an oldschool enough Deftones to mind. Maybe that's because Terry Date mixed it?
Nice try, but nope, not even! We're not trying to recreate things we did before, but we're still the ones who made these tracks and sometimes it just comes out! We're not exactly the ones we were 20 years ago, but we're still proud of what we did. I'm even proud of Adrenaline which is the Deftones record I enjoy the least. That's mainly because of the production. Sometimes, the lack of experience can bring beautiful things, but its sound still doesn't appeal to me. It even got sandwiched between the first two Korn LPs, two records with a big sound, and I'd be mad everytime I'd listen to one of these records (laughs)

So, clearing off what I just said, he does not mention the booklet. But it's kinda understood, I think.