Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCUM

Quote from: B0RNtoR0CK on Apr 09, 2016, 08:01 PM
Quote from: pinata89 on Apr 09, 2016, 07:56 PM
Quote from: MrVesanique on Apr 09, 2016, 07:54 PM
Regarding what I said about the presence of Terry Date :

Terry (obviously by now) didn't mix the album, but he did (as Chino said word for word during that French interview) that they used his help retouching the mix on some tracks of the record after the scrapped Euro tour.

He went on saying everything about the record (booklet, artwork, etc.) is exactly the same as it was before they retouched these songs with him. That would explain the fact he's not mentioned in the booklet.
Thanks for the clarification. I was wondering myself why no mention was made.
From a mixing standpoint the album is awful. So much noisy artifacts that could've been EQed out of there. The low-end could've been compressed tighter (it gets out of control quite often). Don't get me started on the production of Chino's vocals....But w/e still a great album.

two questions

1- are you a musician/producer?

2- if you say yes to either..are you successful?

77years

Quote from: SCUM on Apr 09, 2016, 09:56 PM

Terry (obviously by now) didn't mix the album, but he did (as Chino said word for word during that French interview) that they used his help retouching the mix on some tracks of the record after the scrapped Euro tour.

He went on saying everything about the record (booklet, artwork, etc.) is exactly the same as it was before they retouched these songs with him. That would explain the fact he's not mentioned in the booklet.
From a mixing standpoint the album is awful. So much noisy artifacts that could've been EQed out of there. The low-end could've been compressed tighter (it gets out of control quite often). Don't get me started on the production of Chino's vocals....But w/e still a great album.

two questions

Come on man. Anyone can tell he IS Terry Date.

SCUM

Quote from: 77years on Apr 09, 2016, 10:19 PM

two questions

terry must've stopped smoking weed then

Reichward

Quote from: 77years on Apr 09, 2016, 10:19 PM

two questions

"Mofos didn't even edit the booklet for me"

Hidalgo

Quote from: 2MoreHours on Apr 09, 2016, 03:57 PM
Quote from: sing blue silver on Apr 09, 2016, 03:06 PM
Steph's guitar tone is pretty garbage across most of this record. Don't know what the fuck he was doing working on his tone for so long. Go back to the drawing board buddy. Abe is fucking crushing it on this record but it's too bad he gets so pushed to the back a lot. Still, loving this record the more I listen to it.

For a guy that's been "chasing" guitar tone for so long, it sure does seem to be getting worse.  He should have quit with his tone after SNW and worked more on his playing then maybe he could have played his own solo on Phantom Bride.  Still love the guy and what he contributes to Deftones though. 
true, he really needs to be called out at this point. Chino & the gang need to almost demand he learn the solo on phantom bride. question his manhood, pride,whatever it takes. if he just play the main solo part(forget the end part, since he plays there already) just play it 1 time ever it becomes "their" solo. otherwise it's just weird having it there, & it's a mercenary doing his job for him. man up Stephen

Slacker

Quote from: Hidalgo on Apr 10, 2016, 12:57 AM
Quote from: 2MoreHours on Apr 09, 2016, 03:57 PM
Quote from: sing blue silver on Apr 09, 2016, 03:06 PM
Steph's guitar tone is pretty garbage across most of this record. Don't know what the fuck he was doing working on his tone for so long. Go back to the drawing board buddy. Abe is fucking crushing it on this record but it's too bad he gets so pushed to the back a lot. Still, loving this record the more I listen to it.

For a guy that's been "chasing" guitar tone for so long, it sure does seem to be getting worse.  He should have quit with his tone after SNW and worked more on his playing then maybe he could have played his own solo on Phantom Bride.  Still love the guy and what he contributes to Deftones though. 
true, he really needs to be called out at this point. Chino & the gang need to almost demand he learn the solo on phantom bride. question his manhood, pride,whatever it takes. if he just play the main solo part(forget the end part, since he plays there already) just play it 1 time ever it becomes "their" solo. otherwise it's just weird having it there, & it's a mercenary doing his job for him. man up Stephen

i would have to agree somehow, this mix might be the most pushback abe has gotten on any deftones record. i wouldn't call the tone garbage, but i am not sure i'll get over the mix of the last two albums... DR 5 is just pretty poor.

the solo rocks, though i think the song its strong enough to hold its own live. dont get me wrong though, im totally into it. i totally wasnt expecting the leads at the outro, loved it.

Corleone

My Review after 3 listens

1.   "Prayers/Triangles"     3:38 - This is a good song 3/5
2.   "Acid Hologram"     4:06 - A decent song 2/5
3.   "Doomed User"             4:27 - Not a good song 1/5   
4.   "Geometric Headdress" 3:29 - Dont like this one either, the vocals sound like crap, 1/5
5.   "Hearts/Wires"             5:21 - Best song on the album for me, pretty solid 4/5
6.   "Pittura Infamante"     4:04 - Pretty decent song 2/5
7.   "Xenon"                     3:17 - Dont like this one 1/5
8.   "(L)MIRL"                     5:02 - Dont see the big deal about this one, cool intro 2/5
9.   "Gore"                     4:59 - Kind of a throw back Deftones song, vocals still kind of sound like crap 3/5
10.   "Phantom Bride"         4:53 - This song would have been good if it werent for the lyrics 2/5
11.   "Rubicon"                     4:58 - Dont see the appeal of this one, maybe with a couple more listens 2/5

Dissapointed with Chino and Stephs effort in this one.

2/5 Total

Here are my rankings for albums:

Around the Fur
White Pony
Deftones
Adrenaline
SNW
DE
KNY
Gore

Slacker

Quote from: Corleone on Apr 10, 2016, 01:54 AM

4.   "Geometric Headdress" 3:29 - Dont like this one either, the vocals sound like crap, 1/5
5.   "Hearts/Wires"             5:21 - Best song on the album for me, pretty solid 4/5
8.   "(L)MIRL"                     5:02 - Dont see the big deal about this one, cool intro 2/5
9.   "Gore"                     4:59 - Kind of a throw back Deftones song, vocals still kind of sound like crap 3/5
10.   "Phantom Bride"         4:53 - This song would have been good if it werent for the lyrics 2/5
11.   "Rubicon"                     4:58 - Dont see the appeal of this one, maybe with a couple more listens 2/5

2/5 Total

Around the Fur
White Pony
Deftones
Adrenaline
SNW
DE
KNY
Gore

it ill grow. it always does.

gwenudo

1."Prayers/Triangles"  3:38 - This is a good song 3/5
2."Acid Hologram"  4:06 - A decent song 2/5
3."Doomed User"          4:27 - Not a good song 1/5   
4."Geometric Headdress" 3:29 - Dont like this one either, the vocals sound like crap, 1/5
5."Hearts/Wires"          5:21 - Best song on the album for me, pretty solid 4/5
6."Pittura Infamante"  4:04 - Pretty decent song 2/5
7."Xenon"                  3:17 - Dont like this one 1/5
8."(L)MIRL"                  5:02 - Dont see the big deal about this one, cool intro 2/5
9."Gore"                  4:59 - Kind of a throw back Deftones song, vocals still kind of sound like crap 3/5
10."Phantom Bride"         4:53 - This song would have been good if it werent for the lyrics 2/5
11."Rubicon"                  4:58 - Dont see the appeal of this one, maybe with a couple more listens 2/5

2/5 Total

Around the Fur
White Pony
Deftones
Adrenaline
SNW
DE
KNY
Gore
So thats your conclusion after 3 listens? Lol dude give it a week or 2, itll grow on you
Was it like it seemed?...

Corleone

Quote from: Slacker on Apr 10, 2016, 01:58 AM

2/5 Total

Around the Fur
White Pony
Deftones
Adrenaline
SNW
DE
KNY
Gore

it ill grow. it always does.

Yeah not sure, the only albums that grew on me were Adrenaline and SNW, and this album has nothing on them.

HooiserBowhunter

2/5 Total

Around the Fur
White Pony
Deftones
Adrenaline
SNW
DE
KNY
Gore

Ouch! haha. It doesn't surprise me that you do not like the record since you have their newer stuff at the bottom of the list. I like about 6 songs on gore, but I also love their newer stuff. I can literally play DE all the way through with out skipping and about 4 songs on Koi are some of my favorite Deftone songs. I love that each Deftones cd has their own sound.

gwenudo

Prayers/Triangles video will come out tuesday
4/12/16

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheyCallMeP

What are everyone's favorite individual moments from the members?

gwenudo

Quote from: TheyCallMeP on Apr 10, 2016, 02:49 AM
My favorite Steph and Chino part is the breakdown of Pittura where he yells "ON TOP OF THE CRUUUUUUUUUUX" .. That shit is dope.

2MoreHours

Chino- at the end of Xenon when he says "The desire to partake UH!  In the violence."  I just noticed it today.  It sounds so sexy.

Steph-The last 2 minutes of Hearts/Wires.  He kind of has some old school Deftones vibe going.  Sounds badass

Frank-Xenon I just love his parts throughout the whole song.

Sergio- Hearts/Wires his little note bend in the verses.  Has a classic punchy Deftones feel to it as well.

Abe- Doomed User  I just like he flat out rocks the whole song.  Pretty straight forward groove but sounds badass.

NYRexall

Another Deftones record, another sector of the fanbase bitching about the production.

TheyCallMeP

Chino: His vocals in Acid Hologram remind me of his ATF singing, so that for nostalgia. I also really like him in the chorus of Geometric Headdress and his tone in the verse of (L)MIRL.

Abe: His drumming in Gore I think is really interesting to me personally. He is flying all over the place! I feel like he is also very strong in Rubicon and Xenon.

Steph: While Jerry steals the show for most people with Phantom Bride, I notice Steph holds his own pretty well. From the verses to the heavy ending, I see you big guy.

Sergio: I might be in the minority but I enjoy Prayers/Triangles a lot. A big reason why is the interplay of the bass and guitar I hadn't heard until I listened with headphones. The guitars in that song all around are hypnotic.

Frank: Even though I'm not a huge fan of the song, Frank's parts in Xenon are dope. It's weird I don't like this track more because both him and Abe kill this.

HooiserBowhunter

Well I love everyones work on Hearts/Wires, but I really dig the start when he says nothing can save me now its what I believe. Then they keep building up suspense then doing little pauses then blast right into the first course.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: HooiserBowhunter on Apr 10, 2016, 02:13 AM
Ouch! haha. It doesn't surprise me that you do not like the record since you have their newer stuff at the bottom of the list. I like about 6 songs on gore, but I also love their newer stuff. I can literally play DE all the way through with out skipping and about 4 songs on Koi are some of my favorite Deftone songs. I love that each Deftones cd has their own sound.

Really?  I would have thought that people who preferred the newer music would be less likely to enjoy Gore, honestly.  I'm not an old head, not from the Adrenaline/ATF days anyway.  I joined the cult sometime between White Pony and Self Titled, and so Gore fits my desires perfectly.  I feel like Gore sounds the most like the S/T-SNW era, which is my favorite era of Deftones.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

Inkblades

Steph - Prayers/Triangles verse riff...reminds me of his HITE riff. Those metal ass riffs on AH (the part where Chino whispers) are also awesome.
Frank - Everything he does on Acid Hologram.
Chino - Hard choice, but I'm leaning towards the Geometric Headdress chorus.
Abe - The ending of Geometric Headdress.
Sergio - If that main riff on PB is him and not Steph, then that. Otherwise, not sure.