Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HooiserBowhunter

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Apr 10, 2016, 03:42 AM
Quote from: HooiserBowhunter on Apr 10, 2016, 02:13 AM
Ouch! haha. It doesn't surprise me that you do not like the record since you have their newer stuff at the bottom of the list. I like about 6 songs on gore, but I also love their newer stuff. I can literally play DE all the way through with out skipping and about 4 songs on Koi are some of my favorite Deftone songs. I love that each Deftones cd has their own sound.

Really?  I would have thought that people who preferred the newer music would be less likely to enjoy Gore, honestly.  I'm not an old head, not from the Adrenaline/ATF days anyway.  I joined the cult sometime between White Pony and Self Titled, and so Gore fits my desires perfectly.  I feel like Gore sounds the most like the S/T-SNW era, which is my favorite era of Deftones.

Yeah. I just really don't think they sound anything like when they first began to me, but I don't see Gore as a continuation of Koi either. I think it kind of stands on its own. Gore sounds pretty jagged like buzz saws against the wood grain.

AnotherVaper

this album is my fucking shit, y'all

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: HooiserBowhunter on Apr 10, 2016, 03:55 AM
Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Apr 10, 2016, 03:42 AM
Quote from: HooiserBowhunter on Apr 10, 2016, 02:13 AM
Ouch! haha. It doesn't surprise me that you do not like the record since you have their newer stuff at the bottom of the list. I like about 6 songs on gore, but I also love their newer stuff. I can literally play DE all the way through with out skipping and about 4 songs on Koi are some of my favorite Deftone songs. I love that each Deftones cd has their own sound.

Really?  I would have thought that people who preferred the newer music would be less likely to enjoy Gore, honestly.  I'm not an old head, not from the Adrenaline/ATF days anyway.  I joined the cult sometime between White Pony and Self Titled, and so Gore fits my desires perfectly.  I feel like Gore sounds the most like the S/T-SNW era, which is my favorite era of Deftones.

Yeah. I just really don't think they sound anything like when they first began to me, but I don't see Gore as a continuation of Koi either. I think it kind of stands on its own. Gore sounds pretty jagged like buzz saws against the wood grain.

Right, it definitely doesn't sound like they did when they first began, that's for sure.  Again, though, I do believe the sound is closer to that of their 2000's era records than it does their 2010's.  But yes, definitely nothing like the 1990's era.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

Inkblades

I'm usually hypercritical of how Chino's voice sounds on a track, but the fact that his voice sounds more weary and weathered actually fits the music of Gore perfectly.

SMLiberator

On the topic of vocals, does anyone know whether Chino uses any sort of pitch correction? I mean, we all know he struggles with keeping notes in tune live when he's jumping around, especially when he assumes the shape of MegaChino. But then again, you have Team Sleep's Woodstock Sessions and he sounds perfect there.

I'm asking this because I'm getting the impression there are some notes he sings throughout Gore that sound ever-so-slightly out of tune, such as the first "you" in Phantom Bride, where he sounds a little flatter and the "on top of the crux" part in Pittura where he sounds slightly sharper. However, I also get the impression he used auto-tuning in SNW, the clearest example being the really high "SUCK you in" in Cherry Waves.

I do not know if I have a point. Maybe he used auto-tune in SNW but not in Gore.
i'm confused??

gwenudo

Is there a reason yall changed it Satan? Lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was it like it seemed?...

SMLiberator

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
i'm confused??

WithoutMyJade

Right now is the first time I have actually listened to Gore on a good set of headphones. Up until now, I have been listening to it almost exclusively through my car speakers, which admittedly is a good sound system, but after hearing it on these headphones, I am catching so much new stuff.

Oh, and it finally clicked... Pittura Infamante is was the odd track out for many of us, but it finally makes sense 100% to me. I'm not going to say it's my favorite track, but I love it so much more now that I have done a deeper dive into it. I'm sure the headphones didn't hurt matters. Haha
Oz... if you come within 25 miles of my house, I will back a car over your head 75 times.

2MoreHours

So what's everyone's take on the overall meaning of this album?  It seems like a praise and worship album for the devil to me.  Pittura Infamante seems like it would be in a hymnal for the devil.  Then I feel like Gore is telling me I've sold my soul to the devil and I'm one of them now and can have anything I want.  These lyrics are freakin eye opening and troubling to me. 

SMLiberator

Not a concept album, dude.
i'm confused??

SMLiberator

wait, but maybe.... the lyrics to prayers/triangles.... he mentions prayers..... and triangles.... and you know what's weird, i've seen deftones getting a lot of attention from the media lately.... critical acclaim and stuff... and triangles...... and now you mention selling the soul to the devil.... and triangles....

illuminati confirmed
i'm confused??

2MoreHours

Quote from: gwenudo on Apr 10, 2016, 04:11 AM

Is there a reason yall changed it Satan? Lmao

I just saw this after my last post.  All this is so creepy to me and freaking me out.  I literally just went through every lyric of every song and it seemed like all of it had some kind of demonic/satanic theme.

77years

Fave Abe: Xenon. What the fucking fuck is he doing? BTW he owns every other track too, but this is his best. Runner up is Rubicon, he puts on a clinic. This album might be Abe's finest hour.

Fave Steph: LMIRL. He's a one man wrecking crew throughout. That bridge cannot be played loud enough.

Fave Chino: either Pittura Infamante verse, Geometric headdress chorus, first Rubicon verse where his voice cracks a little (heart wrenching), or Phantom bride chorus. So many to choose

Fave Frank: Acid hologram.  Mind blowing new ideas here. Love it

Fave Sergio: either Prayers Triangles or Doomed User. He carries both songs to me

alligator

What about this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZox5c45QMo

It seems like an unrealeased tracks from Gore.

only pieces remain

that dwarf dicks clip has haunted me since i first heard it and i was and am crushed its not on gore at all

it was probably from crest. dammit chino :'(

SMLiberator

it's probably just random pieces of music from jam sessions looped over and over again, not necessarily an entire song.
i'm confused??

only pieces remain

i know but its juicy to imagine where that would lead

SMLiberator

Look at that board, tho

It says...
QuoteDwarf Dicks
Intro x4
Chorus x4
Verse A x4
Chorus x4
Bridge x2
Verse B x4
Chorus x4
Bridge x4
Chorus w punches on 3/4 (or maybe its x3?)
Chorus w punches on 3/8 x?

I wonder if Dwarf Dicks was the working title of any song on Gore? Is there any track that follows this structure?

i'm confused??

only pieces remain

no clue off the top of my head. someone help?

gwenudo

I'm hearing people saying Rubicon shouldnt have been the closer, that it shouldve been switched and stuff.. Well heres my take on why its a great closer.

When you listen to the album straight from the beginning, youre greeted with the welcoming sound of Steph screeching, and the ride begins.. By the end of phantoms bride you know the end is basically there, so you go for one last spin around, a fast spin. Then its over and all you hear is chino saying "uuuuuuuuuuuu" .. And that last bit of Rubicon is their artistic way of saying thanks for riding with us, its been a pleasure, we'll see you next time guys. .. Idk if i make any sense, its 2:06 in the morning and i just got done coming from a party pretty messed up.. Yea

Was it like it seemed?...