Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

77years

Rubicon has no precedent in Deftones' catalog. It's just super different and I think you either "get it" or you don't with that type of music. It's a funnel of noise and emotion and not very pretty, like the individual parts by themselves aren't as melodic as say Geometric headdress chorus.  It's meant to pound you over the head. But for me, when Chino opens the song and is voice cracks, you can tell the urgency and vulnerability and genuine fear right there and I'm sold. It's one of the reasons I think people (who "get it") are coming away from Rubicon thinking it could be their last song, because between that cracking voice and that chorus, it's the entire climax of Gore as an album and seems like it could be the climax of their career.

TheyCallMeP

Has anyone else thought that this record is about one woman? Not like a concept album, more like a common theme.

My take:

Doomed User: I have to assume drug use
Geometric Headdress: love/hate relationship
(L)MIRL: I don't miss you/ I don't care where you are
Gore: She is the aftermath (gore) of the guy's choices. His vice
Phantom Bride: direct thoughts about the woman. She is dead to him, maybe not literally but figuratively

I was also reading someones take that Prayers/Triangles was about depression which, I don't know if I buy, would fit into this theme.

Even if I'm way off, it makes the album fun when I listen

CarloDefDonno

Quote from: TheyCallMeP on Apr 11, 2016, 01:28 AM
The slow chords and opening verse on guitar during (L)MIRL is slowly becoming a highpoint of the album for me. I play guitar and I wish I would have come up with something like that for myself.

Not sure how I feel about the progression afterwards but the first half of that song is beautiful.
That progression is very team sleep-ish.  They use such chords a lot in their songs. I have been jamming to them a lot :)

77years

Quote from: TheyCallMeP on Apr 11, 2016, 10:48 AM
Has anyone else thought that this record is about one woman? Not like a concept album, more like a common theme.

My take:

Phantom Bride: direct thoughts about the woman. She is dead to him, maybe not literally but figuratively

I was also reading someones take that Prayers/Triangles was about depression which, I don't know if I buy, would fit into this theme.

I buy this.  As I was wondering elsewhere, I want to know who it is...

Also Pittura Infamante is (sort of) about death, or the separation of the body

neirda

I thought at  first that there was nothing special about HW, but it has grown on me so much. Damn! The way Chino and Stephen dialogue during the chorus, It gives me shivers. I like the tension created. No explosion, it just evolves close to the edge. Favoourite track at the moment.

Now I have a pb with Xenon. It's a good song, but Chino's voice lacks of something. Rage or desperation, power...
It sounds a bit bland.

Personal ranking now

1: HW
2:prayer/Triangles, acid hologram, GH, PB, Rubicon
3:Doomed User, PI, LMIRL, Gore, xenon

LG95

Quote from: neirda on Apr 11, 2016, 01:00 PM
I thought at  first that there was nothing special about HW, but it has grown on me so much. Damn! The way Chino and Stephen dialogue during the chorus, It gives me shivers. I like the tension created. No explosion, it just evolves close to the edge. Favoourite track at the moment.
Perfect description of that song.
I could float here forever

77years

Apparently Pittura Infamante means "a 3-minute tsunami of skullfucking psycho noise" in Latin

2MoreHours

Quote from: TheyCallMeP on Apr 11, 2016, 10:48 AM

My take:

I think it's 90% occult themes but that's just my opinion.  Seems pretty straight forward to me but I guess we all see things a little differently.

Reichward

I like the idea that it's the occult. As always it's vague and subjective with Deftones, but Gore and Rubicon could be about joining a cult, even Acid Hologram can be interpreted as being in awe in front of a cult leader/an idol.

B_S_79

Quote from: gwenudo on Apr 10, 2016, 07:29 PM
Quote from: HooiserBowhunter on Apr 10, 2016, 07:28 PM
I never watch Jimmy Kimmel how many songs do they usually play one or two?
Usually just 1 on tv but i think for S/T one time they played 2 on tv and a few more for the audience.

There might be one online after the show airs.

I was in the audience when they did Bloody Cape on Carson Daly's show during the S/T tour cycle. After they were done filming they played Minerva for the studio audience. It was very cool.

2MoreHours

Quote from: Reichward on Apr 11, 2016, 02:53 PM
I like the idea that it's the occult. As always it's vague and subjective with Deftones, but Gore and Rubicon could be about joining a cult, even Acid Hologram can be interpreted as being in awe in front of a cult leader/an idol.

I especially got that feeling from Gore.

illthrowROCKS@U

For now...

Acid Hologram
(L)MIRL
Pittura Infamante
Hearts/Wires
Phantom Bride
Geometric Headdress
Xenon
Doomed User
Prayers/Triangles
Rubicon
Gore
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

gwenudo

Gore
Pittura Infamante
Acid Hologram
Geometric Headdress
Doomed User
(L)MIRL
Phantom Bride
Hearts/Wires
Prayers/Triangles
Rubicon
Xenon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was it like it seemed?...

chuckles

Geometric
Doomed
Wires
Rubicon
Triangulos
Phantom
Gore
Let's Meet
Xenon
pittura
Acido
I'm a member of Sharing Leaks...

from_musings

been listening to some pittura infamente...it's got a likeable groove at the end, kind of dig that. but it's hard to take the song serious as a whole for me, when the intro and verses are so goofy. "I will sing,i will sing your praises" in the finale could sweep you away, but earlier stuff in the song make you unable to 100%. It's like if you lit a jar of shit on fire in a room... you could open a window and ventilate, use some fragrant room refresheners... but you can't get rid of that shitty smell in your nose, it's still there. Pittura's like a fun jam experiment and what's good about it, is that it is aware of that it is goofy,kind of tongue in cheek?

77years

Geometric headdress... mindfuck
Acid hologram... mindfuck
Pittura Infamante ... severe mindfuck

Three of the most rad songs in their entire catalog.  Dig all 3

77years

Quote from: from_musings on Apr 11, 2016, 03:27 PM
been listening to some pittura infamente...it's got a likeable groove at the end, kind of dig that. but it's hard to take the song serious as a whole for me, when the intro and verses are so goofy. "I will sing,i will sing your praises" in the finale could sweep you away, but earlier stuff in the song make you unable to 100%. It's like if you lit a jar of shit on fire in a room... you could open a window and ventilate, use some fragrant room refresheners... but you can't get rid of that shitty smell in your nose, it's still there. Pittura's like a fun jam experiment and what's good about it, is that it is aware of that it is goofy,kind of tongue in cheek?

Lol.  It may be

But that final chord... sweet holy Jesus on a Popsicle stick is that intense as shit. 

E-Money

Rubicon
Phantom
Lmirl
Gore
Hearts
Xenon
Prayers
Geo
Pittura
Acid
Doomed

I really like them all tho. No filler on this one.

illthrowROCKS@U

I see it completely differently.  I feel no "goofyness" to the song at all.  It just seems to sound good to me.  I particularly love the bridge.  Whole song is amazing to me.  I can't understand the hate for it, or why anyone would call it "goofy."

But I also don't see many redeeming qualities in Rubicon, and most here would probably disagree with me on that.  To each their own, I suppose.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

E-Money

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Apr 11, 2016, 03:48 PM

I see it completely differently.  I feel no "goofyness" to the song at all.  It just seems to sound good to me.  I particularly love the bridge.  Whole song is amazing to me.  I can't understand the hate for it, or why anyone would call it "goofy."

But I also don't see many redeeming qualities in Rubicon, and most here would probably disagree with me on that.  To each their own, I suppose.

For me Rubicon is about as good as it gets and is easily the standout tack on the album. It's interesting to see what songs all grab us. I'm personally having trouble getting into hearts.. I love the intro and I like the song but it just hasn't blown me away yet.. Waiting for it tho.