Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Doomed User: A Swing and a Miss

Started by _bilf1, Mar 17, 2016, 03:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vesanic

TheNeedleDrop syndrome : reviewing everyfuckingthing right when it comes out because it's so trendy

2MoreHours

Quote from: _bilf1 on Mar 17, 2016, 03:39 AM
   To say "Doomed User" is convoluted is to be nice. What the fuck is this?

Deftones have always been pioneers of alternative music. They never really stick to a formula and they tend to be more experimental less conventional. The last two records had some highlights but you can definitely tell the momentum of the great Deftones train is slowing to a halt unfortunately.

In previous efforts, Deftones have more than successfully blended elements of different genres into a cohesive whole. They have developed a reputation for being the one nu-metal band that defied the label and became classics in the alternative music world. Songs with hip-hop like drums, smooth, ethereal vocals, and simple, yet effective heavy guitar riffs have dominated the Deftones discography thus far. These guys have really excelled in mixing dark, ambient melodies, and crushingly heavy riffs with poppy choruses without coming off like a cheese fest. Some of my all time favourite songs come from this unique band and I will cherish those songs for the rest of my life. To sum it up: Deftones have absolutely nailed the art of not giving a fuck about expectations and have made a living out of it.

With the new album, titled "GORE", coming out on April 8th, Deftones fans are excited to hear the latest efforts from the band that does it all. "Doomed User" was released on Octane today and upon listening to the track I am feeling very confused and apathetic towards this new album.

This song is trying to sound disjointed, unpredictable, and edgy but instead it just sounds like the laziest compilation of excruciatingly boring riffs and lazy, forgettable melodies. This track is so uninteresting and bland. The two main aspects of this song's demise come from the two extremes of the divas that spearhead the band.

That bullshit metal riff and the emotionally stunted, pretentious chorus.

The 'old school metal riff' that Chino mentioned in a previous interview is hilariously out of place. Seriously. Almost laughably out of place. Don't get me wrong, I love experimental music but holy shit it's like Stephen Carpenter finally smoked himself into full stroke mode and came up with this horrendous piece of shit riff. The song starts off with a very typical, sleep inducing Stephen Carpenter-wishes-he-played-for-Meshuggah riff that he plays in an odd time signature. Wow. So edgy. The problem here is that it's simply boring and Chino's fatigued vocals give it no juice at all. But it's the next riff that violently prolapses the anus of the song. As soon as Stephen begins seizing all over his guitar in an attempt to sound like a Megadeth tribute band, I felt an overwhelming feeling of the imminent demise of a once great band.

Chino's chorus is disappointingly lacking of any emotional depth or quality song-writing. The melody is awful and the harmony included does nothing except make the listener go "Oh". I hate comparing new material to old material so I won't but I can't help but at least remember that Deftones have always been able to click emotionally and that always gave them a solid foundation. This chorus is a nice break from Chino sounding like a bad rip off of himself through the verses but other than that there is nothing here worth listening to.

The art of not giving a fuck is great if you at least give a fuck about making quality music in some aspect or another and after hearing this song I'm nearly convinced they're just pumping out music to get finished with their contract. I mentioned earlier that I felt the demise of Deftones on the horizon and don't get me wrong; I don't hate the idea.

"You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain"

Plenty of notable bands have come together, put out great music, made their mark, and then finish up before they become cliches of themselves. But the problem is that bands don't always do that and usually end up becoming boring and discardable. Like chewing a piece of gum non stop for hours. Eventually there's no flavour left and the longer you keep it in there, the more bland, hard, and dry it becomes. Deftones seemed to be immune to this fairly common phenomenon but after hearing this song, I believe that time has come.

As for the rest of "GORE" only time will tell. I will give the album a thorough listen and attempt to remain unbiased. Some songs are just duds so you never really know but I won't be surprised.

Completely agree with you.  The song is weak af.  There is still hope for the other 9 tracks though.

mrpelon94

Quote from: shoop on Mar 17, 2016, 03:59 AM
You couldn't just post this essay in the original Doomed User thread?
Is he banned oh mighty ban King :)

snw9

I dig the intro riff, sounds like a gun blasting
Code: [Select]

jciraheta

Quote from: _bilf1 on Mar 17, 2016, 03:39 AM
   To say "Doomed User" is convoluted is to be nice. What the fuck is this?

Deftones have always been pioneers of alternative music. They never really stick to a formula and they tend to be more experimental less conventional. The last two records had some highlights but you can definitely tell the momentum of the great Deftones train is slowing to a halt unfortunately.

In previous efforts, Deftones have more than successfully blended elements of different genres into a cohesive whole. They have developed a reputation for being the one nu-metal band that defied the label and became classics in the alternative music world. Songs with hip-hop like drums, smooth, ethereal vocals, and simple, yet effective heavy guitar riffs have dominated the Deftones discography thus far. These guys have really excelled in mixing dark, ambient melodies, and crushingly heavy riffs with poppy choruses without coming off like a cheese fest. Some of my all time favourite songs come from this unique band and I will cherish those songs for the rest of my life. To sum it up: Deftones have absolutely nailed the art of not giving a fuck about expectations and have made a living out of it.

With the new album, titled "GORE", coming out on April 8th, Deftones fans are excited to hear the latest efforts from the band that does it all. "Doomed User" was released on Octane today and upon listening to the track I am feeling very confused and apathetic towards this new album.

This song is trying to sound disjointed, unpredictable, and edgy but instead it just sounds like the laziest compilation of excruciatingly boring riffs and lazy, forgettable melodies. This track is so uninteresting and bland. The two main aspects of this song's demise come from the two extremes of the divas that spearhead the band.

That bullshit metal riff and the emotionally stunted, pretentious chorus.

The 'old school metal riff' that Chino mentioned in a previous interview is hilariously out of place. Seriously. Almost laughably out of place. Don't get me wrong, I love experimental music but holy shit it's like Stephen Carpenter finally smoked himself into full stroke mode and came up with this horrendous piece of shit riff. The song starts off with a very typical, sleep inducing Stephen Carpenter-wishes-he-played-for-Meshuggah riff that he plays in an odd time signature. Wow. So edgy. The problem here is that it's simply boring and Chino's fatigued vocals give it no juice at all. But it's the next riff that violently prolapses the anus of the song. As soon as Stephen begins seizing all over his guitar in an attempt to sound like a Megadeth tribute band, I felt an overwhelming feeling of the imminent demise of a once great band.

Chino's chorus is disappointingly lacking of any emotional depth or quality song-writing. The melody is awful and the harmony included does nothing except make the listener go "Oh". I hate comparing new material to old material so I won't but I can't help but at least remember that Deftones have always been able to click emotionally and that always gave them a solid foundation. This chorus is a nice break from Chino sounding like a bad rip off of himself through the verses but other than that there is nothing here worth listening to.

The art of not giving a fuck is great if you at least give a fuck about making quality music in some aspect or another and after hearing this song I'm nearly convinced they're just pumping out music to get finished with their contract. I mentioned earlier that I felt the demise of Deftones on the horizon and don't get me wrong; I don't hate the idea.

"You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain"

Plenty of notable bands have come together, put out great music, made their mark, and then finish up before they become cliches of themselves. But the problem is that bands don't always do that and usually end up becoming boring and discardable. Like chewing a piece of gum non stop for hours. Eventually there's no flavour left and the longer you keep it in there, the more bland, hard, and dry it becomes. Deftones seemed to be immune to this fairly common phenomenon but after hearing this song, I believe that time has come.

As for the rest of "GORE" only time will tell. I will give the album a thorough listen and attempt to remain unbiased. Some songs are just duds so you never really know but I won't be surprised.

i agree with you in all, except i dont think is going to split the band

but yea in muy humble opinion and i am a hardcore deftones fan , the song is weak as hell

RavinVsFlud

How about just hitting the next song in your playlist?

PROBLEM SOLVED

nicklav

Quote from: MrVesanique on Mar 17, 2016, 01:17 PM
TheNeedleDrop syndrome : reviewing everyfuckingthing right when they come out because it's so trendy

Hahaha, yup.

m1nusblindfoLd

You guys being negative about it in any of the threads are nuts...the song is cool and I enjoy listening to it. Hardcore fan here too.

They are clearly fairly far gone at this point from their original sound (for the most part) so I've kind of accepted that by now. I mean, they lost their original bassist, the lead guitarist has used different guitars/sounds for a while now, and the singer can't quite hit the same quality/techniques he used to.

This song is actually the closest to something from the first few albums IMO (save for maybe Prince being semi-similar to WP). I hear a little from Adrenaline, ATF, and WP (honestly) and then a different sound as well of course.

I respect opinions but you make it sound like the worst thing ever when it is far from it.

Lucky_Me

Hey, it's cool that you guys don't worship every fart Chino lets rip in the microphone, but let's not be so negative. Some songs need to grow on you and even if they don't, every album may have one or two songs you dislike. Sometimes, a song just sounds bad without the 'context' of an album. I respect all of you guys' opinions, though I find it very difficult to both judge a single and a song that's just come out yet. That's my two cents.

Relax, guys, as Gore is going to come out soon enough. Give it some time to grow on you and if not, resort to  Deftones' albums you do enjoy listening to. No band can always please every fan. It's all alright, just don't let that negative energy ruin the Gore-album cycle for you, before it's even officially started. Even if Doomed User is not your favorite single, or Gore will not be your favorite album, none of that excludes us all having an awesome time with Deftones still making awesome music. In the end, that's what we're all here for anyway. ;)
Eccentricity is but a sophisticated form of insanity.

nicklav

Quote from: Lucky_Me on Mar 17, 2016, 04:06 PM
Hey, it's cool that you guys don't worship every fart Chino lets rip in the microphone, but let's not be so negative. Some songs need to grow on you and even if they don't, every album may have one or two songs you dislike. Sometimes, a song just sounds bad without the 'context' of an album. I respect all of you guys' opinions, though I find it very difficult to both judge a single and a song that's just come out yet. That's my two cents.

Relax, guys, as Gore is going to come out soon enough. Give it some time to grow on you and if not, resort to  Deftones' albums you do enjoy listening to. No band can always please every fan. It's all alright, just don't let that negative energy ruin the Gore-album cycle for you, before it's even officially started. Even if Doomed User is not your favorite single, or Gore will not be your favorite album, none of that excludes us all having an awesome time with Deftones still making awesome music. In the end, that's what we're all here for anyway. ;)

Well said.

ANattyRat

Your words could end world conflicts, you should consider a career in it, haha.

Lucky_Me

@ANattyRat That's exactly why I'm studying to become a communication expert. My job basically revolves around solving problems that other people created. I'm fixing their fuck-ups, for which they are blaming each other. This board is really just a walk in the park for me. ;)

If I had any hair, I would've put flowers in it. 8)

worship

Quote from: Lucky_Me on Mar 17, 2016, 05:01 PM
@ANattyRat That's exactly why I'm studying to become a communication expert. My job basically revolves around solving problems that other people created. I'm fixing their fuck-ups, for which they are blaming each other. This board is really just a walk in the park for me. ;)

If I had any hair, I would've put flowers in it. 8)

FUCK YOU!

Nah, just kidding.

2MoreHours

Sometimes people just want to say they don't like a song and are entitled to do so.  The people that need to "relax" are the ones getting all worked up over someone else's opinion.  It's funny how it's all fine and dandy to be like, "this song slays!" but let someone express that they don't like it and people feel the need to jump in and tell them to relax.

Lucky_Me

@worship If you're going to offend me, at least try to be creative. :P In my newbie days (::)), some guy actually posted a picture of a necklace that said: 'Attention Whore'. I swear, that was funny and kind of true, I must admit. ;)

Whoever finds me that lovely thing, gets a cookie. I need it for the upcoming European gigs. ;D It would compliment my looks for this tour sooo well.

@2MoreHours Naw, I just love being the forum hippie. I only want to spread peace, love and cookies. You're right, though, as I'm very allergic to negative energy. Still, there's a huge difference between stating 'I don't like this song' and writing an essay about how bad it sucks. It's latter that's my pet peeve. It just ruins the mood.

N0S3BLEED976

Quote from: Lucky_Me on Mar 17, 2016, 05:24 PM
Still, there's a huge difference between stating 'I don't like this song' and writing an essay about how bad it sucks. It's latter that's my pet peeve. It just ruins the mood.

Spot on

2MoreHours

Quote from: Lucky_Me on Mar 17, 2016, 05:24 PM
@worship If you're going to offend me, at least try to be creative. :P In my newbie days (::)), some guy actually posted a picture of a necklace that said: 'Attention Whore'. I swear, that was funny and kind of true, I must admit. ;)

Whoever finds me that lovely thing, gets a cookie. I need it for the upcoming European gigs. ;D It would compliment my looks for this tour sooo well.

@2MoreHours Naw, I just love being the forum hippie. I only want to spread peace, love and cookies. You're right, though, as I'm very allergic to negative energy. Still, there's a huge difference between stating 'I don't like this song' and writing an essay about how bad it sucks. It's latter that's my pet peeve. It just ruins the mood.

Yeah, the essay was a bit overkill. lol

Far away

I didnt like the song but I think you ...er..  you overdid a little.

Rally Sweat

Haha, thank you for the prolapse imagery! Not every day you get that. Unless you're a proctologist. I do really feel like they might be dabbling in genre a lot more now, or maybe they're less afraid to wear their influences on their sleeves cos they've established themselves, but whatever it is has made me a little less enamoured with them (couple notches down from fanatical, I can live with that!).

_bilf1

Eh maybe the essay was a bit of an overkill but I don't apologize for the opinion or the new account to post this. I had an account on here ages ago as during my teens I was an absolutely fanatic. To some degree I very much still am. I really enjoyed prayers/triangles actually. Not the most aspiring Deftones song but again, I believe they're starting to get to the point where the integrity isn't as important anymore.

I guess it's kinda weird to make an account to post one bad review of a single but I felt compelled to come to the most renowned 'tones community to say what I had to say. Just some built up frustration with a band that, even in their worst moments, made excellent music. I also don't hate the idea of bad songs nor do I believe this one song is the demise.

This song just sums up to me the place that the band seems to be in. Everyone is so concerned with their own shit that coming together to write a Deftones album now seems irrelevant and forced. In interviews chino and Steph still get at each other's throats, lol Stephen saying he didn't even know what to do with the songs on this record tells me that there's some major disagreements going on. That has always been a thing since chino picked up the guitar I guess but all I mean is that it seems sooooo forced and convoluted now that I think it's best that the band just say Thank you to the fans and call it a day. They've had an amazing career and made some timeless classics. Just seems sad to hear them like this now. Either way, not a hater and I look forward to hearing the rest of Gore as I'm sure there will definitely be some high points :)